Christmas Dinner

spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Since it's just me and Mr. Spring this year I thought I'd do up a Christmas (eve) dinner for us. I think this will be my menu:

Spiral sliced smoked ham
Dressing
Lima beans
Roasted butternut squash
Creamed corn
Deviled eggs
Pumpkin dinner rolls (me and yeast aren't the best of friends, here's hoping these turn out edible)
Sweet potato casserole
Pumpkin pie cheesecake
Sweet tea

Some of this I have in the freezer from Thanksgiving so it's not as much as it seems since we'll be finishing off those leftovers.

So, does your family do a special dinner around Christmas? Do you host or are you lucky enough to be invited somewhere? :D Please share no matter what you're doing!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Roast suckling pig (10-15 lbs)
    Poppy seed ricotta cake with Meyer lemon curd

That's all I got. :p
    I just feel it's a waste to do more honestly. My dad doesn't eat anything and my mother will eat a bit then go on about how she's getting fat.
    Any effort into putting together a menu will just end up being an exercise in frustration and a waste of time. Sigh, rice (moro) and salad it is.
    Ideally I'd like to put five spice and soy on the pig, but then my dad won't eat it. I'd like to skip the copious amounts of mashed garlic rubbed all over the pig, but then my mother will do that annoying thing where "well, it doesn't have garlic" and wistfully think about how she likes garlic on EVERY. SINGLE. PIECE. OF. MEAT.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Dear MERCY, Saria you just need to come to our house where anything you wanted to make would be more than welcomed. :lol:

Mmmm, I love five spice on pork!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Christmas Eve is an open house at my parents. Clam chowder, lots of appies, mulled wine and other fun drinks!

Christmas morning breakies is baked french toast, sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and some form of Springies cinnamon buns because I still can't find the stupid frozen dough!!!!!

Christmas day dinner will be at my aunt & uncles. Turkey, potatoes, green beans, squash, a few types of stuffing and cranberry.

My other aunt and uncle do a boxing day brunch....usually a buffet of anything breakfasty you could imagine!

Pretty sure I can put on 10lbs in 3 days :lol:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    CC, we're probably having those sticky buns Christmas morning, too! I was able to find the frozen dough here, but it's still scarce. I know I shouldn't be lazy and just make my own, but I like the no-hassle pull it out of the freezer and it's done appeal.

Mr. Spring is rallying for ham and biscuits, but I'm unsure I can make a proper biscuit A)that early and B)when I haven't made them that often. I need quick and easy that early AND the faster we get to the gift opening, the better. :D

Mercy, all of that you listed sounds so good! I am missing more and more having someone else cook and enjoying sharing all of that with family. I think this is what they call homesick and I've got it super bad this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Christmas eve day my daughter and her fiancee are coming over.

Spiral ham with my homemade glaze-maple syrup/orange marmalade/spices concoction.
    Mashed potatoes
    Parker house rolls (another thing that means Christmas to me)
    Green beans
    Peas
    Pumpkin pie with maple whipped cream
    Rustic apple pie-1crust folded up over :). I am going to experiment with making leaves from dough around the edges.
    There will be snacky stuff too-shrimp chips/dip

Christmas day
    We go to B's mom's house and she does breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    :( Awww! When I worked on the ship it was like that...so hard to be away from everyone. Not exactly sad, just didn't feel right. Hope you guys have such a great Christmas and if you ever get stationed near me, you're more then welcome to spend it with us!!!!!

These biscuits are crazy easy and really good!

Baking Powder Biscuits I Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    You can make your biscuits, cut them, freeze on a tray, then put in ziplock bags and bake from frozen as you need them.
    Brush with cream or melted butter before they go in the oven, of course!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I am hoping we have rolls left over and I can improvise with them and ham. :)

Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Springy I have a wonderful recipe for sweet potato rolls. Must be similar to the pumpkin ones. They are such a beautiful color and just faintly sweet. Ohhh maybe I will make those too!!

Central Massachusetts

• SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We are doing brunch: bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, pancakes, crepes, biscuits & gravy, fruit, a ham & some appetizers .

Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    Oh, and cinnamon rolls really are very easy to make. You make the dough the night before and bake in the morning.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    CC, that's very sweet! :D

I've got a drop biscuit recipe that is awesome, but I was thinking for ham and biscuits I need to make a proper biscuit we can split open and all that jazz. Who knows, maybe a Christmas miracle will happen and I'll make some. :lol:

Saria, of course...freezing! I've always meant to try that so I could pull a couple biscuits from the freezer as needed for just the two of us. I could do that tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion!

I think ham and rolls will be for lunch, yep...ham overload since I rarely make one. xcptnl, your glaze sounds really, really good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's the roll recipe I'm trying. I cut it in half from the original 4 (!!!!) dozen and I'm going to freeze half after rolling into balls and bake the other half for our meal. Of course why did I think to do it with rolls but not biscuits? Because my brain...it is broken.

Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

2 Dozen Rolls
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup warm water
    1 cups warm milk
    1/8 cup butter, softened or melted (I warm it with the milk above)
    1 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup wheat germ or whole wheat flour
    5-6 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
    3 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
    Instructions:
    1. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, water, milk, butter, pumpkin, and salt. Mix well.
    2. Add wheat germ, 3-4 cups of the flour, and yeast. Mix, and then continue adding flour and kneading until dough is elastic and not sticky.
    3. Place dough in greased bowl; grease top of dough, cover with a towel, and set in a warm place until doubled (about 60-90 minutes).
    4. Punch dough down and divide into thirds. Divide each third into 16 pieces and shape into balls.
    5. Place on greased baking sheets, and grease tops. (I use one 11x15-inch baking sheet to hold 24 rolls. Try round cake pan.) Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
    6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until tops are golden. Remove to wire racks and cover with a towel. Brush tops with butter if desired, as soon as rolls are removed to the wire racks. Serve warm with butter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    We don't really do Christmas other than special food. This year I am having a tiny raclette party. Very traditional menu. Hopefully I can get decent baguettes.
    hello.world.
    spring1onu wrote: »
    Here's the roll recipe I'm trying. I cut it in half from the original 4 (!!!!) dozen and I'm going to freeze half after rolling into balls and bake the other half for our meal. Of course why did I think to do it with rolls but not biscuits? Because my brain...it is broken.

Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

2 Dozen Rolls
    Ingredients:
    100 g sugar
    57 g warm water
    227 g warm milk
    28 g butter, softened or melted (I warm it with the milk above)
    283 g mashed cooked pumpkin
    5 grams salt
    710 - 850 grams all-purpose flour or bread flour
    10 grams dry yeast
    Instructions:
    1. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, water, milk, butter, pumpkin, and salt. Mix well.
    2. Add wheat germ, 425-570 grams of the flour, and yeast. Mix, and then continue adding flour and kneading until dough is elastic and not sticky.
    3. Place dough in greased bowl; grease top of dough, cover with a towel, and set in a warm place until doubled (about 60-90 minutes).
    4. Punch dough down and divide into thirds. Divide each third into 16 pieces and shape into balls.
    5. Place on greased baking sheets, and grease tops. (I use one 11x15-inch baking sheet to hold 24 rolls. Try round cake pan.) Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
    6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until tops are golden. Remove to wire racks and cover with a towel. Brush tops with butter if desired, as soon as rolls are removed to the wire racks. Serve warm with butter.

Fixed it for you. :p Except the wheat germ since I don't know how much it weighs.
    That is a hell of a lot of very wet dough. If I count the pumpkin as a wet ingredient (which it kind of is), it's almost 80% hydration, going with the smaller amount of flour. This is fine, just that you'll be adding a lot of extra flour when kneading to make a workable dough.
    Up the salt. And by up I mean almost triple. The baker's percentage for the dough as written comes out to less than 1 percent, which no, just no. You should have right around 14.2 grams in there, which is 2% if we go with the lower amount of flour.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I wouldn't be using wheat germ anyway and you kill me, really. :lol:

Thank you for conversion! :lol:

There are pictures on the blog I got the recipe from and the rolls certainly look beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The big celebration in my family is Christmas Eve and we always do prime rib. I think it started when my uncle was alive and he was a butcher so he'd pick out a great prime rib ahead of time and age it for us. We've carried on the tradition and it's never a question what we'll have. As for sides, my mom switches it up. She usually tries at least one recipe from a different cuisine each year, not sure what it is this year.

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It will be just me and a two year old. I'm not sure what I'll make.

I'm planning to make a breakfast Christmas morning though since my husband doesn't have to be in until 10:30! Muffins, eggs, potatoes :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
    I looked at the website and this is why I trust a select group of people when they tell me something is delicious. :p There is no way that recipe produces anything but a very bland roll with that amount of salt, even if it's saltier table salt. Of course, if you're slathering them with salted butter, this can be somewhat disguised, but I prefer a roll that tastes wonderful all by itself. 1.5-2% salt is standard for a reason. Bread's pretty tasteless with less than that.
    A similar recipe on epicurious in terms of the salt has this review and I want to just shout SALT at the reviewer:
    These are very easy and attractive with their golden orangle color from the pumpkin. But I agree with previous raters who think they're bland. They smell wonderful - when rising, baking and on the table - but the taste leaves a lot to be desired. I used extra spices to boost the flavor, but they almost need something sweet or creamy to match the nice texture and smell. I definitely had to serve these with butter, and I also spread on some cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving. These have potential - we just need someone to figure out how to add that little something that's missing!

That missing something? Wonder what it could be. Hmmm. No, use of spices cannot make up for too little salt.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I'm really picturing you screaming "SALT!!!! :director: " at the computer screen. :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just in my head. :lol:
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Christmas dinner:
    Starter:
    Pears poached in red wine served with Greek yogurt.

Main:
    Bronze turkey
    Roast potatoes
    Sprouts fried with bacon (the only way I will eat sprouts)
    Carrots
    Parsnips (not sure if they're going to be baked or in a cheese sauce)
    Cranberry sauce.

Pudding:
    Christmas pudding with rum sauce!!!
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
    spring1onu wrote: »

Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

2 Dozen Rolls
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup warm water
    1 cups warm milk
    1/8 cup butter, softened or melted (I warm it with the milk above)
    1 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
    1 teaspoon salt
    5-6 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
    3 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
    Instructions:
    2. Add wheat germ, 3-4 cups of the flour, and yeast. Mix, and then continue adding flour and kneading until dough is elastic and not sticky.

I will have to check out my sweet potato recipe and see if it has the salt deficiency too.

If I recall mine made two round pans of rolls.

Central Massachusetts

• RobinP92202RobinP92202 Posts: 213Registered Users
    We celebrate at a lot of family members' houses around christmas and they serve the typical ham or turkey dinners so we do different stuff on christmas day at our house.

At breakfast I do a spinach and cheese quiche, turkey bacon, bagels (for the kids) and fruit. We don't do sweet breakfast because we tend to snack on cookies all day long. :)

For dinner I do pecan chicken, a rice dish we call "christmas rice" made with wild and regular rice, orzo, almonds, dried cranberries, scallions, etc (so good), green beans, and pumpkin pie and cookies for dessert. Just our nuclear family plus my mom on the 25th. Nothing fancy but I only make the chicken and rice dishes on christmas so they feel festive.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Robin
    *mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
    *3a shoulder length curls
    *experimenting with the CG method
    Xcptnl, how much flour and salt?
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    So the thing is that Hispanics eat the big dinner on Christmas Eve. My mother is going to be cooking at my brother's house for it. I'm not off until Christmas. I'm thinking the poppy seed ricotta cake I might make tomorrow for my mom to take to them and I'll make either an apple tart or a persimmon crostada for dessert here on Christmas. The cake was my way of thanking my brother and SIL for getting me my Meyer lemons and it also feeds a crowd, so it makes more sense that they have it. Of course, this means I don't get to try my lovely cake and I suspect the lemon curd that gets served with the cake would go to waste.
    (I figured if I had any leftover curd I'd make lemon ricotta pancakes for breakfast the next day.)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Ok, trying to decide. Either a very simple but very delicious apple tart --- apples, sugar, Mexican vanilla bean with whipped bourbon creme fraiche. Part of me wants to trade the vanilla bean for fennel pollen. :p

Or, a persimmon and blood orange crostada with salted caramel and either ginger or star anise creme fraiche. If I can't get blood oranges, it'll be persimmons, orange zest, pistachios, honey, and orange blossom water plus a little spice (haven't settled on them yet) and whipped nutmeg creme fraiche.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I almost bought rolls at the grocery today. I picked them up, then set them back down and walked away.

This most likely means mine will turn out like bricks. :toothy10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sigh. I told sous chef to get me a pig around 10-15 lbs, 20 lbs being the absolute limit. Get in today and there's a 30-lb pig. Want to kill him. Aside from now having to pay for 30 pounds of pork, and most likely having to split the pig to fit it in the oven, I don't have anywhere near that many people to feed. A whole pig was a lot to begin with, but since we'd have leftovers, and possibly my brother and some people dropping by, it wouldn't last long if it was just 15-20 lbs, but 30?! I'm going to have to freeze half of it, and that means having room to actually freeze it.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Ok, sous chef says it's 23 lbs, which is far more reasonable, though still more than my limit. I'm gonna cook the whole thing. I'll make tortillas and/or steamed buns to eat the leftovers. Suckling pig tacos and steamed buns! Still a lot of pig. Anyone who wants to come over for pork is welcome!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file