Big, thick, loose waves or very defined thinner waves?

TriciatheTerribleTriciatheTerrible Registered Users Posts: 45
My hair's got natural volume, and usually large, loose waves. I've been told my hair is "straight" whenever I wear my hair this way. When I put in product though, even though my waves are less frizzy and defined, my hair looks so thin (and you can see through it!!)
So, what's the preference? Would you all rather have thicker, looser waves or defined, thinner waves?
2a/2b
fine-normal strands
thick hair
Mod CG since April 2011

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried the root shake? When your hair is dry, put your fingers against your scalp. Massage in circles and shake your hair a bit. Be careful not to disturb the top layer.
    Clipping may also help, if you haven't tried it yet.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
    On me, I like looser waves that are big/spirally. Although I do like loose beachy waves too :) Both are wonderful!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    I prefer whatever texture lacks frizz. Just me?
  • curlywhocurlywho Registered Users Posts: 119
    I would definitely go with the larger loose waves. I've been trying to do that as well (mine get looser when I take my fingers through it). Sometes curls or world look better if you're not trying to force them into something they're not.
    Hair Properties:
    2b/3a
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Thick
    Loves Protein, hates oil of any kind, takes FOREVER to dry.

Products:
    (I mix and match depending on the day)
    Occasional Low-poo: Burt's Bees
    Conditioner: GCP
    Ecostyler Gel
    CIAB
    As I am Curling Jelly

Recently Purchased:
    Rockin Ringlets
    Curl Keeper
    Confident Coils

Microfiber Plop (10 mins)
    Super-soaker
    Diffuse-dry
  • fitover40fitover40 Registered Users Posts: 83
    For me, I prefer loose for volume to cover scalp show thru. The ones that can rock the defined curls are beautiful, I just know that it's something that doesn't look good for my hair.
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011
    wish I had more hair, but making the best of it :angel9:
    My hair :love1: protein!
    It's a work in progress :love5:

No Poo: Deva No Poo, CJDF
    Low Poo: Abba Color Protect
    Rinse out: CJBC, OneC, CJAO
    Leave in: Shescentit Coco, CJBC LI, CJCF
    Curl enhancer: AG Recoil, MopC, KMFUM, CK, CJ CCCL
    Gel: Ecostyler, ArcAngel, BRHG, GFPC, AIF
    PT: CJ Repair Me, IAGirls PT, BTZ PT

Techniques: SuperSoaker, Plopping, Pixie , Smasters
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Aw, do I have to choose? I don't have a ton of hair and before I SOTC and root shake it looks totally sparse. But I don't believe I lose much definition when I gain some volume - that would be overdoing the SOTC.

You might be able to have both volume and definition if you use a lesser-holding product (medium hold gels, more "natural" type gels). Certain products tend to create more skinny waves and scalp show-through like plain, un-thickened FSG, aloe vera gel, LALSG (for some people). In my experience, too much hold just doesn't work. Strong-hold gels are always layered (therefore diluted) with thickened FSG or KMFUM or aloe vera gel.
    Clipping definitely can help - especially if your hair has different directional growth patterns (cowlicks all over) - you can clip it where you want it to dry.
  • loremipsumloremipsum Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Novice
    I envy anyone who actually has a choice. I get bigger, looser waves by default. Tighter, defined waves are an impossibility. I never experienced that "OMG I can't believe my hair is so curly" moment that a lot of wavies get upon going CG. Sometimes this can be disappointing but I'm overall pretty pleased.

Yes, I have also been told that my hair is "straight," especially when I don't use product and comb it out. I think most people don't get that there is a vast expanse that exists between spirally ringlet curls and sleek, straight hair. Just because I don't have curly hair doesn't mean I have straight hair either. That vast gray area includes everything from loose beachy waves to tight, defined s-waves. Any hair that has anything more than a slight flip at the ends can be considered wavy, IMO.
    loremipsum wrote: »
    Any hair that has anything more than a slight flip at the ends can be considered wavy, IMO.

Spot on! Even that slight flip on the ends might be a teensy bit more wavy were it not brushed or blown-dry with a round brush...
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    loremipsum wrote: »
    Yes, I have also been told that my hair is "straight," especially when I don't use product and comb it out.
    For the record, this is my hair brushed when wet with a wide tooth comb and finger combed once or twice while it dried. I took this pic within a month of my avi. You are not alone that can make their hair dry "straight".
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    I'll jump in with Pedaheh. This is my hair about 9 years ago at Christmas. The air was cold and dry. Washed with silicone/sulfate shampoo & silicone-y conditioner (thus over-conditioned), brushed/combed when wet, and also often when dry. I'm getting a kiss on the cheek from my dog, whom I miss so very much - couldn't bear to put her whole pic in. Don't you just love how the top layers flip up and the bottom layers flip under? Me too. (Rolls eyes). This is pretty much what it looked like when I got out of bed this morning too. But more layered.
    I would actually be curious to see more "straight" hair pictures from fellow wavies whose waves are on strike for the winter!

Pedaheh, your hair looks cute both ways. What I like about it is that when "straight," it looks healthy and tamed. Mine has a lot of fuzzy surface frizz and scraggly/tangled bits, otherwise I'd be fine wearing it that way. It looks great wavy too--but you're lucky that you don't really have to do much to get it looking cute.

IAgirl--not going to lie here: Your hair looks better wavy/curly by a million miles. You look like you're kissing a reindeer, btw. Sadly, I think I have the longer version of your haircut. I'll be growing layers out for some time...

I think truly "straight" hair is actually pretty rare. I found these images a while back and thought it was interesting to see the different hair types--if only because it shows how arbitrary they are (why is 2b so much curlier than 2c...?!). Mine looks a lot like the 1b-1c hair types than any of the wavies (which I think look curly). I don't even know where big, thick, loose waves go on this continuum.

http://fromgrandmaskitchen.com/Natural-Hair-Beauty/content_images/1/1a.jpg
    http://fromgrandmaskitchen.com/Natural-Hair-Beauty/content_images/1/1b.jpg
    http://fromgrandmaskitchen.com/Natural-Hair-Beauty/content_images/1/1c.jpg
    http://fromgrandmaskitchen.com/Natural-Hair-Beauty/content_images/1/2a.jpg
    http://fromgrandmaskitchen.com/Natural-Hair-Beauty/content_images/1/2b.jpg
    http://fromgrandmaskitchen.com/Natural-Hair-Beauty/content_images/1/2c.jpg
    Had a friend in my teens with hair that, when BSL, curved under at the ends and often had a wave in the middle, mostly in summer. It was pretty. That would be 1c according to the FIA system (which I kind of like better). Yours is wavier.
    People called her hair "straight." It's like people who live in Northern Canada (and probably Northern Russia, Iceland, whatever) who have dozens of words for different types of snow whereas most of us have 1, maybe 2.
    Do you know the FIA system? Copying this from here: The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards - Fia's Hairtyping System
    First classifier - Your curliness (or lack thereof)
    The straight ones
    1a - stick straight
    1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
    1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)
    The wavy ones
    2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
    2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
    2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there
    The curly ones
    3a - big, loose spiral curls
    3b - bouncy ringlets
    3c - tight corkscrews
    The really curly ones
    4a - tightly coiled S-curls
    4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)
    Click here for a visual typing guide.

Second classifier - What (most of) your individual strands look like
    F - Fine: Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.
    M - Medium: Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.
    C - Coarse: Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian, Hispanic or native American descent.

Third classifier - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.
    i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
    ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
    iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)
    ~^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^~

TIP: If you are having difficulty determining the thickness of individual hairs, this might help:
    Take a strand of hair from the back of your head. Roll the strand between your thumb and index finger.
    Fine Hair: Your hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk.
    Coarse Hair: Your hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it!
    Medium Hair: Your hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

I used this guide the first time I typed my hair: The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards - "How To" Hair Type Your Hair
    It's a really good idea - and good to try in different seasons.
    Ah yes, I am familiar with FIA. To be honest hair typing gives me a hair-ache. My hair can be at least 4 different hair types depending on the season and what I do to it. I assume you should be hair typing based on your naked, untouched hair. If that is the case, I'm probably a 1c in winter and a 2a in summer. If I comb my hair in winter, it can be as straight as 1b. If I scrunch it in summer, I can bump it up to a 2b. See, my brain is already in knots.

Even the density isn't consistent. The wavier I wear my hair, the thicker my ponytail gets (I also have lots of layering so a lot of hair won't reach my ponytail). I think it evens out to be medium.

It's a shame they disabled the visual hairtyping guide. It would have been a useful resource.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    I prefer curly and less volume because I get better definition that way, and less frizz, and the frizz I get with more wavy spirals is better than natural undefined loose here, tight there somewhere in the middle hair types. Sometimes I will comb out the crunch and smooth down again for a little more volume but still with definition. I'm still playing with this as it is not a consistent technique, but I did it in my avi, and it was good then.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file