Other options to shampoo.

So since I am shampooless, what are the things we can put in our hair to cleanse? I know a good ACV rinse works, as well as citrus once in awhile. How do we know a cleanse is in order? I have lots of questions but this is my main question. Thanks.

Also how do we know of gels that do not give build up? Must they have certain ingredients, or lack thereof? I have followed the CG recommendations but wonder what good advice you all have.
3B, CG,Corkscrew
Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
Irish-American Curly
Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
RedheadCurly

Comments

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    You mean besides COs? Because there are many that make good wash ones, I particularly favor the more natural ones as found in health food stores, especially those with essential oils such as lavender and rosemary because they help cleanse and beautify the hair.

I don't know if where you live there are any Indian grocery stores but last week I was browsing at a local one and where they have their hair products I saw a small box of an herbal powder for cleansing the hair. At the LHC (and possibly here), there are recipes involving an egg but I personally would be grossed out putting raw eggs in my hair. :?

Oh, and whenever I'm due for a CO wash my scalp starts to itch a little, or the hair looks a little dull.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Yes, besides cowashes because it does not seem to be doing it for me right now. I like the idea of a powder to clean the hair. I will check out my local Indian grocery store.

I would not mind putting beer, or eggs in my hair. I used to do that when I was younger, hey anything for beauty. LOL Thanks for your input.
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    you could try out the other "no 'poo" routine which uses baking soda and acv. I've never tried it out (have considered it though) but have heard good things about it. This link has a good description of how to do it:

http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
    Teela- thanks I have a good baking soda rinse sitting in the shower. I used it recently but did not rinse it, hello??? LOL But the ACV has worked well for me just checking out all of my options. I do need to change some of the co-washes I used. I will keep ya posted.
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I LOVE [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink] right now. It still lathers and cleanses really well, but it's extremely gentle so there's no stripping like shampoo.

Though it's called a Cleansing Cream, it's not a cream at all. I think it's more of a thin consistency shampoo. Some have the complaint that it contains too many oils, but I haven't noticed that at all. I'm in love with it.

I would totally recommend it over co-washing.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    Hey "Red", guess what: Last night I went to the Indian store to exchange something and I asked the owner about the powder I told you about, it's made of some exotic fruit and he said "Oh, it leaves hair so silky!", then he showed me a shampoo that was made in part with it so I was sold and I grabbed a box, lol! I'm not due for another "wash" until next week but I will let you know how it goes when I do. Meanwhile, I did a search and I thought I'd show you what the box looks like: Uttam Aritha Powder. The price at that site is good (I paid $2.29) but then shipping would raise it much more.

I think this is probably my craziest experiment, lol! The powder is light brown and I have NO idea how it smells because it's in a sealed plastic bag inside. I just hope it doesn't have a hideous odor :lol:, if so, I'll try to cover it up with an essential oil. Ah, what we do for our hair. :roll:
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

• JustineHHJustineHH Registered Users Posts: 15
    Do you think it will dye your hair a light brown? :lol::lol: I couldn't resist. Let us know.
    You know, I put it away and forgot all about it so have not used it yet of course, but now it's in my bathroom waiting for my next wash which will be in a few days so I will let you know then how it went.

Teela- Thanks for that site.
    Halfwavy- Hello girl, we are waiting, tap, tap tap. I put some honey in my condish wash today for definition. I am definately loosing definition, :( This is so frustrating. I still have not tried the powder. I have an Indian grocery store near my house. I used to date an Indian man, be sure you do not dye your hair as many products are made to show off the beautiful black hair and they have tints. Good luck.

Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
    Sorry for the delay! I finally tried it a while ago and couldn't wait to get online to let you all know... not to waste your money on this, it was a complete disappointment! :x I really should've tried it before ever mentioning it here but since the owner of the Indian store told me "oh, it leaves hair very shiny" I believed it would work.

When I re-read the instructions before using it I realized this wasn't a powder which would completely dissolve in the water as I'd imagined because it said it should be strained before using (first clue...). The instructions weren't very precise either as to how much water to use either so I had to guess. The mixture must be allowed to "sit" for 10-15 min. (but when the timer rang I had not finished exercising so it probably sat for 20), I'd expected it to thicken a little but it remained as a runny brown liquid (more or less the color of paper bags, so I did wonder if it would affect my dark blond shade...); it had a little bit of foam on top and a lot of sediment at the bottom and its smell reminded me of dark chocolate - so that was tolerable. Straining it into an applicator bottle was no fun because the particles clogged my little strainer and I had to stir with a spoon, which I'm sure pushed some of them through.

I got in the shower and wet my hair and proceeded to apply this all over but it immediately made my hair feel rough, like a high detergent 'poo would and I really had expected the opposite, I had imagined it would be a slippery solution that would soften my hair but I couldn't even get my fingers through to my scalp well enough to scrub it and that was the point when I knew my experiment had failed. I rinsed it off almost immediately and, needless to say, reached for a bottle of CO and scrubbed my head really well to remove the remaining particles it had left on my hair. Even though I hate to waste money I very much doubt I will ever use this again.

So, again, sorry ladies that I even mentioned this before trying it!
    :oops:

No problem Halfwavy. I might still use something like this only because I am desperate, and would like a new solution. It sounds a little like a vinegar rinse. My ex once laughed at me because I put coconut oil in my hair after I washed and it had a bad smell. I did not realize I was supposed to put it in before washing but it could be in methodology, or brand name. I know many of the products that come from the Indian store are very much outdated so that could be part of the problem too.

Thanks for letting us all know. I am having a good hair today after a honey rinse last week, an ACV rinse Monday, and today a very very light condish wash, on the canopy. I love it.

Boy if only everyday could be like this, I am tired of the ups and downs and I am paying close attn. to what works. The new condish I mentioned from Organics is nice. I have to make sure to go light on it.

Take care all.
    Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file