We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What is henna and what does it do??

I haven't heard anything about henna until I got onto this site.. Can someone explain what it is and how it benefits hair.. Also I'm trying to grow my hair would henna treatments be beneficial?


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Comments

  • jaclyn15jaclyn15 Posts: 227Registered Users
    Henna is used as a less harsh alternative to hair dye to color the hair. It's not a treatment so you don't have to worry about it unless you want to color your hair :) I've never done it myself so maybe someone else can share more about it!
    My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

    Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
    Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

    Likes: Plopping!
    Dislikes: Glycerin

    CG and loving it! :hello1:
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never done henna either. Hennaforhair.com had great info.
    Henna dyes your hair PERMANENTLY. You can't bleach out the color and you may not be able to dye over it. You have to grow it out and then cut it off. You want to make sure you use body art quality (BAQ) henna. Other "hennas" have metalic dyes that can react to traditional dye. True henna only dyes red. You can mix it with indigo or amla to get different colors. You can only dye your hair darker then your natural color. For example, you cannot dye dark brown hair light red. `
    Henna coats the hair. Because of this it can act similarly to a protein treatment, although henna has no protein. Cassia is similar to henna, but with no color (unless you have very light hair). Because henna coats the hair, it can make hair heavier and pull out some of your curl pattern.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • CurlyTee21CurlyTee21 Posts: 78Registered Users
    Ohhhh ok thanks ladies.. I was thinking that people were using it to strengthen their hair I didn't kno it permanently changed ur hair color.


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cassia will give you the treatment results of Henna without the color. There should be info on that on hennaforhair.com or do a board search here.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • CurlyTee21CurlyTee21 Posts: 78Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Cassia will give you the treatment results of Henna without the color. There should be info on that on hennaforhair.com or do a board search here.

    Thank you.. I'm gonna look into it but if it's going to change my curl pattern I probably won't use it


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • SayoonSayoon Posts: 432Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Henna is a an amazing gift for hair ahhh I could write a poem that will never finish about it, it's a tree originally some where in the middle east . The leaves r used to cure lots of things such as ulcers wounds skin problems n ofc hair.
    They dry leaves n make a powder out of it.
    Benefits for hair are countless it's for shedding dandruff too much oily hair n can be used for dry hair but the recipe is different u add oils n stuff to prevent brittle hair , u will defiantly see glossy n shiny hair from first usage, it coats the hair so if u hv weak strands they will turn into strong once it prevents split ends ahhh what else it's amazing for growth , what else could I say I will never finish believe me henna is just the best thing for hair I hv been using it since I was 4 .
    If ur willing to try it plz don't take the classic recipe cuz it could dry ur hair
    Instead use corn oil honey n Mayo n tea :) n best of luck
  • CurlyTee21CurlyTee21 Posts: 78Registered Users
    Sayoon wrote: »
    Henna is a an amazing gift for hair ahhh I could write a poem that will never finish about it, it's a tree originally some where in the middle east . The leaves r used to cure lots of things such as ulcers wounds skin problems n ofc hair.
    They dry leaves n make a powder out of it.
    Benefits for hair are countless it's for shedding dandruff too much oily hair n can be used for dry hair but the recipe is different u add oils n stuff to prevent brittle hair , u will defiantly see glossy n shiny hair from first usage, it coats the hair so if u hv weak strands they will turn into strong once it prevents split ends ahhh what else it's amazing for growth , what else could I say I will never finish believe me henna is just the best thing for hair I hv been using it since I was 4 .
    If ur willing to try it plz don't take the classic recipe cuz it could dry ur hair
    Instead use corn oil honey n Mayo n tea :) n best of luck

    U make it sound soooo good lol I wanna try it I've heard a lot of good things about it but I've also heard a few bad experiences and I'm terrified of damaging my hair or curl patterns.. I've just recently started to love my curls And it'd be just my luck to use henna and ruin my hair lol.. Idk I'm gpnna have to do A LOT of research before I try it


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • curlylifecurlylife Posts: 49Registered Users
    Henna is used as a conditioner too. It's the same thing which is used in "Mehandi" (temporary tatoos on hand). But for usage on hair it's mixed with various other components.
  • SayoonSayoon Posts: 432Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurlyTee21 wrote: »
    Sayoon wrote: »
    Henna is a an amazing gift for hair ahhh I could write a poem that will never finish about it, it's a tree originally some where in the middle east . The leaves r used to cure lots of things such as ulcers wounds skin problems n ofc hair.
    They dry leaves n make a powder out of it.
    Benefits for hair are countless it's for shedding dandruff too much oily hair n can be used for dry hair but the recipe is different u add oils n stuff to prevent brittle hair , u will defiantly see glossy n shiny hair from first usage, it coats the hair so if u hv weak strands they will turn into strong once it prevents split ends ahhh what else it's amazing for growth , what else could I say I will never finish believe me henna is just the best thing for hair I hv been using it since I was 4 .
    If ur willing to try it plz don't take the classic recipe cuz it could dry ur hair
    Instead use corn oil honey n Mayo n tea :) n best of luck

    U make it sound soooo good lol I wanna try it I've heard a lot of good things about it but I've also heard a few bad experiences and I'm terrified of damaging my hair or curl patterns.. I've just recently started to love my curls And it'd be just my luck to use henna and ruin my hair lol.. Idk I'm gpnna have to do A LOT of research before I try it


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

    Mostly the bad experiences cause they mixed it with too much lemon juice n vinegar or used it on dyed hair, if ur hair us recently dyed then wait at least fir 6 or 8 months , for the curl pattern u notice that ur hair is stronger n thick n some times lil straighter it happened to me cuz my hair was so damaged n henna kept coating the damage n making it look lil loose but once my hair was fully healthy n strong by the 4th time my curls came back tighter n better than before .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file