CG is a no go anymore

Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
Ive been cg for about 4 months. Just as I was getting the hang of going and maintaning the cg method it all went down hill. I lived in San diego then moved to Northern Cali and my cg methods just stopped working. I have the feeling it has to do with quality of the water here in North Cali. My hair and skin has become very, very dry. Not only that but co-washing no longer removes the build up of oil on my scalp. Im seriously thinking of giving up the whole cg deal. It just seems more time consuming and overall it just hurts my brain and my wallet. I'm just not motivated to experiment with new cg approved products and surely dont have the money to do so. Im might just go back to products that contain silicone and low sulfates. Im currently using Trader Joes norish an tresseme naturals as co-wash and conditioner. But since moving thery dont moisturize enough, so i'm now using deva one conditioner which is not much better. I think I'm just over it

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Did you consider a LowPoo before you jumped back to a sulfate shampoo? I can never cowash. I use a LowPoo every other day. Still makes me CG.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
    i really like trader joes norish shampoo but i know it wont really remove silicones but i think im going to try deva low poo and see how that works. I know im going to try the ouidad curl brand but i know they have silicones so i need a shampoo that will remove build up and silicone
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Sure it will remove silicones! It contains Olefin Sodium which is MORE harsh than SLS and ALS! Tangled my hair like crazy. It was clean, though!
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/curlysuzy-qa-which-sulfates-are-safer-than-the-others
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Registered Users Posts: 340
    You could use Giovanni tea tree shampoo, it has cocamidopropyl betain which still removes silicones, but doesn't have sulfates which are harsher!
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • curlspeakcurlspeak Registered Users Posts: 18
    I think you have buildup. It happens to many CG at some time or other. I have to lo poo or no poo once a month. My hair loves it when I use the deva no poo. kinky curly come clean works but it really strips my hair.
    OK, I'm gonna give you a great inexpensive conditioner to use. I have all the deva stuff the tresemme naturals and I agree, they are not moisturizing enough. Try GVP Conditioning Balm from Sallys. This is the generic Matrix Biolage. The ingredients are identical. There are no non cg friendly ingredients in it. It is thebomb.com.

My suggestion is to give our hair a good wash to remove the buildup. that's why your hair is behaving differently. then try the $6.00 GVP Conditioning Balm from sally's. And I would suggest one more product. Maybe 2. The most important product to add to your regimen is Curls brand Curls Souffle. It has no hold and is very very moisturizing. The only drawback is you have to order online. I hate that and had a long conversation with the owner about it just yesterday, and she said the curls brulle (?) in target is equivelent to the Curls souffle.

The other product I would suggest you can buy at Target or walgreens and that's the Shea Moisture Smoothie. It also has no hold. (the she moisture milk is good too. I sometime use it as a refresher)

My Regimen ( Maybe it'll work for you)
    I co wash every other day. I use the GVP as a leave in as well. It's very thick. I add some Curls Souffle, and then some shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. I let it sit in my hair fo 5 minutes (i'm supposed to do 15) to allow the product to obsorb. then I use some paper towels to scrunch out the water. I air dry.
    I lost a lot of curl from henna. this regimen has brought my curl back. when your hair drys it'll be very curly and very moisturized. it won't be crunchy and it won't be greasy.
    other stuff. sometimes while it's still wet I add some oil, about a quarter size. One of the best things I have is a spray bottle with water and one condition. What a great moisturizer.
    washing my hair more often keeps it from ever getting dry.
    I think the trick is to a good regimen is to find the TYPE of product that works for you. i.e. moisture, protein, glycerin/non glycerin, oil based, butter based, etc.
    I'm trying to help because so many people helped me.
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
    Thanks for the suggestions. What's funny is that I've tried all and still have those products. I've thought it through and have decided to give cg one more try. I've cut my hair pretty short to remove all damage. Gave my hair a nice wash and am good to go. I think another problems is that I may be not co washing right. As in maybe I'm not apply enough friction. That's one of my theory's .
  • KeihsKeihs Registered Users Posts: 435
    You could try Baking soda/Vinegar rinses with(out) CO washing. That might help or use a sulfate free shampoo whenever you get buildup. If you have hard water, you can get a water softener, special shower heads, or use a different water source (distilled, bottled)..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file