CurlTalk

Shampooing killed my curls! Help!

HazelTesseraHazelTessera Posts: 11Registered Users
I've been co-washing for about a month now, but I'm not very good at reading product labels yet to make sure there aren't sulfates or 'cones in everything, and I was starting to notice some build-up. So yesterday I shampoo-ed in order to clarify... And my curls DIED.

Before I shampoo-ed, I had begun to even see the occasional spiral curl mixed in with my waves. This was absolutely amazing. I was doing a happy dance infront of my mirror every morning. Today, I have about an inch of curl at the bottom of my armpit-length hair. It's clean, but lifeless.

Does anyone have any advice for reviving my curls?

And how can I clarify different next time to avoid this?
  • 2b/2c, medium thickness, high density, medium porosity, protein-loving, mid-back length hair
  • Olivella Professional Conditioner & Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner: co-wash / leave-in
  • Smooth 'n Shine Curl Activator Gel & Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel: styling products
  • olive oil, coconut oil, & castor oil: occasional hair / scalp treatments
  • Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance Free Body Wash: occasional 'cone-free, fragrance free 'poo

Comments

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Hmm, don't worry, I doubt there's any way you could've done any sort of permanent damage! :) Everyone's hair gets a little funky after clarifying. I think you just need to give them a little TLC to revive them. Maybe a deep treatment? Your curls probably just had the moisture stripped out of them.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • HazelTesseraHazelTessera Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thanks, I'll try that. I was getting worried.
    • 2b/2c, medium thickness, high density, medium porosity, protein-loving, mid-back length hair
    • Olivella Professional Conditioner & Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner: co-wash / leave-in
    • Smooth 'n Shine Curl Activator Gel & Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel: styling products
    • olive oil, coconut oil, & castor oil: occasional hair / scalp treatments
    • Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance Free Body Wash: occasional 'cone-free, fragrance free 'poo
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    That tends to happen to me too after sulfate poo. Usually I spray rosewater all over, then scrunch AVG in my hair and top it off with a tiny bit of coconut oil and let it sit overnight. That puts a lot of moisture (and curl) back in.
    And you can always do a moisturizing DT ;-)

Sent from my HTC Legend using CurlTalk App
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • wednesdaywednesday Posts: 53Registered Users
    That happened to me once when I slept over at my friend's house and had to borrow shampoo :/

If I were you, I'd use a leave-in. That should help it a bit.
    For the long term, I'd start clarifying with a different shampoo...perhaps a natural Tea Tree shampoo. I heard those are great for clarifying! Also, maybe instead of co-washing, you could wash your hair like once or twice a week with a natural, gentle shampoo and condition every other day. That's what I do :) Good luck!
    -Straight hair until 4/11
    -Started CG 12/26/11

Co-wash/RO/LI: Beautiful Curls Leave-In Conditioner for Wavy to Curly Hair
    Gel: Beautiful Curls Hair Gel

Routine...
    -cowash/condition/leave-in condition
    -comb hair
    -supersoak and apply KCCC
    -plop for 15-20 min
    -plop a pineapple overnight
    -just pineapple for second day hair

Short 2b and growing out!