CG Curl Booster?

nattykinsnattykins Registered Users Posts: 14
I'm just checking out Sally's (I didn't realize there were some in my city!) and looking for a curl booster...

I found Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curl Boosting Spray but I'm just confused a bit about the ingredients:

WATER ,POLYQUATERNIUM-11 ,FRAGRANCE ,PANTHENOL ,DIMETHICONE PEG-7 PHOSPHATE ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN/PVP CROSSPOLYME ,PEG-75 MEADOWFOAM OIL ,TETRASODIUM EDTA ,IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE ,HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN PG-PROPYL S ,HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED EXTRA ,BUTYLENE GLYCOL ,BENZOPHENONE-4 ,POLYQUATERNIUM-7 ,ANTHEMIS NOBILIS FLOWER EXTRACT ,SYMPHYTUM OFFICINALE LEAF EXTRACT ,ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF E ,QUILLAJA SAPONARIA BARK EXTRACT ,PROPYLENE GLYCOL ,YELLOW 6 ,RED 40 ,AMYL CINNAMAL ,BENZYL ALCOHOL ,BENZYL SALICYLATE ,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ,CITRONELLOL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL

My question is about the underlined - is that a PEG Cone (so OK) or a PEG Phospate?

In other words - is this CG friendly? If not, what would you suggest for a curl booster to use if my curls get tired throughout the day?

TIA
~Give me a head with hair,
long beautiful hair ~

Comments

• jaclyn15jaclyn15 Registered Users Posts: 227
    I don't think it's cg because it also has alcohol in it. Not sure. I recommend AG recoil gel or curl trigger spray. Both have salt in them to encourage curl and are cg friendly. :)
    My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
    Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it! :hello1:
  • curlybrancurlybran Registered Users Posts: 510
    I would think phosphate. I didn't think alcohol was a restriction?

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • nattykinsnattykins Registered Users Posts: 14
    I didn't realize alcohol was a restriction either! So much to learn :P
    ~Give me a head with hair,
    long beautiful hair ~
  • curlspeakcurlspeak Registered Users Posts: 18
    nattykins wrote: »
    I'm just checking out Sally's (I didn't realize there were some in my city!) and looking for a curl booster...

I found Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curl Boosting Spray but I'm just confused a bit about the ingredients:

WATER ,POLYQUATERNIUM-11 ,FRAGRANCE ,PANTHENOL ,DIMETHICONE PEG-7 PHOSPHATE ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN/PVP CROSSPOLYME ,PEG-75 MEADOWFOAM OIL ,TETRASODIUM EDTA ,IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE ,HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN PG-PROPYL S ,HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED EXTRA ,BUTYLENE GLYCOL ,BENZOPHENONE-4 ,POLYQUATERNIUM-7 ,ANTHEMIS NOBILIS FLOWER EXTRACT ,SYMPHYTUM OFFICINALE LEAF EXTRACT ,ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF E ,QUILLAJA SAPONARIA BARK EXTRACT ,PROPYLENE GLYCOL ,YELLOW 6 ,RED 40 ,AMYL CINNAMAL ,BENZYL ALCOHOL ,BENZYL SALICYLATE ,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ,CITRONELLOL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL

My question is about the underlined - is that a PEG Cone (so OK) or a PEG Phospate?

In other words - is this CG friendly? If not, what would you suggest for a curl booster to use if my curls get tired throughout the day?

TIA

the second ingredient is a cone. POLYQUATERNIUM-11. It also has POLYQUATERNIUM-7, i.e. polyquats. They're as difficult to remove as amodimethicone and dimethicone. The article says polyquat-44 is water soluable, polyquat-10 is ok for loo poo, but the other polyquats are NOT water soluable.
    (Sometimes a cone does not end in cone or cane). Here's the article. it's on NC.com
    Polyquats as Conditioning Agents
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
    I recently found one at Walmart that works very well for me and is cg. It the got2be double curling power spray gel. The third ingredient is magnesium sulfate ( salt) which is what causes the curls to tighten up even more. I spray it on after I've added all my products and scrunched out all the water from my hair. Then I spray this all over. It works very well and is only 4 dollars. I tried making my own with water and sea salt and it dried out my hair. I wanted to order ah recoil but I was going to spend alot of money for a curl enchancer
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
    Sorry for the misspelling. My iPhone thinks it can read my mind and replace my words with ones it thinks works better. Silly smartphone
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Polyquats and alcohol don't make a product non-CG. Sulfates and non-water soluble silicone are what make something non-CG.

That said, polyquats can cause buildup for some and require clarifying to remove. Some curlies find their hair dislikes them, and avoid using products that contain them. Polyquaternium 10, and polyquaternium 4, I believe, are the ones least likely to cause buildup according to the CurlChemist article on polyquats.

Alcohols, unless they are fatty alcohols and thus good for hair, can cause dryness. May not happen with a single use, but can over time, especially if you aren't moisturizing well with your other products (RO's and LI's). Many avoid "bad" alcohols entirely, while others can tolerate them if they're low on the ingredients list. Bad (drying) alcohols include denatured alcohol and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, among others. Check out CurlySuzy on alcohols here and a list of fatty (good) alcohols here.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file