Tangled and No 'poo?

Hey, so I just did BS/ACV for the second time, the first time was rough so I decided to stop for a month or so and let my hair bounce back while I tried to figure out what went wrong.

Well! It went wrong AGAIN. Last night my hair was very frizzy and had little curl to it (I'm 2c/3a). I sprayed some heat protector on it, straightened, added some curl and then put it in a side pony tail before going out. Obviously, I needed to use some SLS to get the 'cones out this morning. I used some baby shampoo this morning then used BS/ACV. The baking soda totally, completely matted my hair. It is a total mess right now. The ACV helped detangled some parts of it but right now my poor hair is tangled and dry as can be. What went wrong? Was it using the baby shampoo (I also used that last time but do not intend to use into the future, this was a "last poo".) Or was it my recipe?

I know people say 1tbsp of baking soda with 1 cup of water to make a paste but I find that does not make a paste at all, just very runny, slightly crunchy water. So I used...um, a LOT of baking soda this time and it was barley a paste. And I used one tbsp of ACV to one cup of water both times. It would be very helpful if someone would post what the BS paste should look like. Has any one else had this problem?

Comments

• theliothelio Registered Users Posts: 5,374
    i sometimes mixe my bs with condish it makes it way easier to apply evenly. after i do the acv rinse, i add condishioner. just like i would if i was using a shampoo.

i also dont do it very often. maybe a couple times a month
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Registered Users Posts: 340
    The reason it matted your hair is because baking soda is very drying, you may want to try a more moisturizing no poo
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • curlspeakcurlspeak Registered Users Posts: 18
    Hey, so I just did BS/ACV for the second time, the first time was rough so I decided to stop for a month or so and let my hair bounce back while I tried to figure out what went wrong.

Well! It went wrong AGAIN. Last night my hair was very frizzy and had little curl to it (I'm 2c/3a). I sprayed some heat protector on it, straightened, added some curl and then put it in a side pony tail before going out. Obviously, I needed to use some SLS to get the 'cones out this morning. I used some baby shampoo this morning then used BS/ACV. The baking soda totally, completely matted my hair. It is a total mess right now. The ACV helped detangled some parts of it but right now my poor hair is tangled and dry as can be. What went wrong? Was it using the baby shampoo (I also used that last time but do not intend to use into the future, this was a "last poo".) Or was it my recipe?

I know people say 1tbsp of baking soda with 1 cup of water to make a paste but I find that does not make a paste at all, just very runny, slightly crunchy water. So I used...um, a LOT of baking soda this time and it was barley a paste. And I used one tbsp of ACV to one cup of water both times. It would be very helpful if someone would post what the BS paste should look like. Has any one else had this problem?

How can baking soda and ACV possibly help your hair. Baking soda is alkaline. It has a PH of around 9 or somethng, plus it's abrasive. ACV is acidic and has a PH of around 3. Baking sode is an abrasive substance with a high PH that opens up and swells the hair cuticle. Whenever I see a piciture of damaged hair, what they always show is a hair with an open cuticle. The abrasive nature of the baking soda will also cause the cuticle to tear and open up.

This treatment next calls for an ACV rinse which attempts to SLAM your cuticle shut. However, because the baking soda which is both abrasive and alkaline has opened and damaged the cutlcle, it's too tramatized to be closed completely by the ACV. (If that was the case all we'd have to do to our damaged hair is add some conditioner and it would be immediately mended). An ACV rinse (a little vinegar and a LOT of water) is good for closing the cuticle to add shine and a smooth surface to the hair, but it also blocks any moisture that might get in.
    And on top of that you're using one of the harshest shampoos around, baby shampoo. Besides being harsh, it's full of carcenigens. Here's an article from November 2011 in Forbes magazine.
    As Report Reveals Toxic Ingredients in Baby Shampoo, Johnson & Johnson Goes Public with Plans to Clean Up Products - Forbes

If I understand correctly, you wash with a sulfate, then do a BS/ACV rinse. You use silicones then heat. then you repeat.
    What is the benefit of this treatment.
  • KeihsKeihs Registered Users Posts: 435
    The 1 tbs; 1 cup of water baking soda ratio is supposed to be a rinse not a paste. So it is supposed to be watery not thick. So your recipe was probably (most likely) too tough. Some people dilute their bs rinse even more! Like a 8 ou to a tbs.. Anyways, to make a paste, you're supposed to either add water to 1 tbs p to the desired consistency or mix with your CO wash conditioner..
  • KeihsKeihs Registered Users Posts: 435
    Actually, baby shampoos are actually pretty harsh, almost like regular shampoos (even J&J's which is supposed to be gentle) which have sulfates pretty high on the list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file