Help! Losing Hair Using Deva Products????

Has anyone experienced hair loss when using Deva Curl No Poo, Condition One, and Angel?

A gal in my office and I are both losing handfuls of hair when using these products and I wasn't sure if it's the Deva products or the CG method in general causing the issue. I am a fine porous 3a / 3b and my friend has course 4a thick hair. Thanks!
Cate
3a / 3b? CG
Wash - Deva No Poo, Desert Essence
Co-wash - One Condition, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Balanced Moisturizer, Desert Essence
Leave In - Kinky Curly Knot Today
Style - Deva Angel, Kinky Curly Curling Custard:angel1:

Comments

• RodyRody Registered Users Posts: 1
    it happens to me, too. I'm using Deva Products, and for the last 3 months, I'm losing hair handful after handful!
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    It happened to me using the no poo, because of the wheat protein (I'm a gluten free gal). Can't say that this would be the same case for you. Try switching up your products to see if it still happens. I used their low poo and one condition without any problems.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Registered Users Posts: 243 Curl Neophyte
    I feel like I am still losing a lot of hair in the shower, but when I think about it I used to lose a lot of hair before being CG too... It just was spread out in different places (my hair brush, my floor after straightening, who knows where else). So I am still not sure if it is the deva products or just not constantly brushing and straightening anymore (so it all comes out in the shower instead).

I'm going to try playing with my products ... I may try yes to cucumbers next. It's more affordable anyway :)
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
  • chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    We shed hair at different rates depending on lots of things: the season, our health, our diet, stress, hormones, etc.

If you just started the CG method, you are probably noticing it more because you're not brushing and playing with your hair all day. The hair shed is concentrated in the drain. There was a thread a while back where people posted pics of their hair balls. If you search you may be able to find it to confirm you're in the normal range.

I have a good sized ball in my drain every time I wash or cowash. If I go multiple days between washing, it's even bigger. It is so big, I have to pick it up and set it on the edge of the tub so the water and suds can actually go down the drain, otherwise the water backs up.

That said, I haven't noticed any thinning of my hair, so the hair loss is normal. It's just freakish to see it all in one spot.

I don't want to dismiss you may be having a bad reaction to a product, because that could be a possibility, but most likely not.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    This crops up from time to time.

I can't say what's going on in your case for sure. If you think you're losing unusually large amounts of hair and/or your hair is thinning quickly please see your md and a derm. Bring your no-poo... it could be related to the Deva no-poo, can be caused by something else health-wise, or could just be normal shed.

Do keep measuring and logging your ponytail size.

If you want to try a different no-poo/cowash, try CJDF, a proper cleansing conditioner. Otherwise I'd go the low-poo route. Good luck!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • CurlyQ-22CurlyQ-22 Registered Users Posts: 3
    I've been experiencing this also! I'm a little freaked out as I'm getting married in September, and I'm afraid I won't have any hair left by then!

I've been using CG method for about 3 years. Was using WEN but found it to be too expensive to keep up. I switched to Deva about a year ago. I've been using Lo-Poo once a week, then One condition and styling cream every other day. Lately, I've been taking gobs of hair out of the shower drain. I haven't changed meds, or anything else that I can think of, so I'm wondering what's going on.

I'd make a switch to something else, but I want to be sure I'm still 100% sulfate and silicone free. Any suggestions?
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I've just bought the Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner. It seems to me to be a mix between Wen and the Deva No Poo. Try it out, I love it.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • CurlyQ-22CurlyQ-22 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks!

A quick observation this morning...I used Lo-Poo and One Cond today, and just now, I found myself itching my scalp. :sad1: HHmmmmm....I wonder how long I've been doing this subconsciously without noticing it! Even thought I only use it once a week, maybe it's the Lo Poo and not the One that's causing the issue.

I'm going to try KMF Whenever, and also I'm reading a lot about Trader Joe's conditioners, so that may be another option to try.
  • GotAlexaGotAlexa Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hey, I really appreciate your post about the problems you are having with hair loss. I am new to the NaturallyCurly world and I am still working on being acclimated. Anyway, I too am having a similar problem. I was using a really nice shampoo and conditioner that had Keratin in it and I was loving it. Several months back, I saw a commercial for Wen and thought I would give it a try. After about a month of using it, my hair started to fall out. I switched back to a lathering shampoo until about five months ago. I went and tried a Deva Cut for the first time and bought all of the products. As I am sure most would agree, I fell in love with the stuff. My hair felt and looked great. Now, the ball of hair in my shower nearly doubles in size from one day to the next. I am not sure if it isn't clearing my scalp properly or it is causing more build up that usual but all I know is it has me concerned.

I also had some itching when I first started using the products. That had me concerned but it went away after I started to use the products regularly. I have been a Ouidad girl from about 20 years, give or take, and I just started to try new things. After this experience, I am not sure what to do. I am taking a break from Deva Curl for a little while and I will go back to my out routine and see if I notice a difference. I really think that is the only way to tell.

I'm not sure what it is worth but I was using shampoo and conditioner by OGX called Brazilian Keratin Therapy. It was designed for women who get Brazilian Keratin Treatments, something I fell victim too as well. At any rate, it works beautifully in conjunction with my Ouidad products.

I'm also not sure if my hair type has anything to do with all of this. My curls are tight and spirally. a pencil fits inside them perfectly. My hair is very fine but I have a lot of it!
  • HaircraftbyjoHaircraftbyjo Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    I'm a hairdresser and have a lot of curly clients, many who are looking for a no lather cleanser with out chemicals and toxic ingredients. I recommend Hairstory to them. The hair balm is the BOMB for curly hair too! https://www.hairstory.com/?r=0q9fbl
  • patram_1@yahoo.com[email protected] Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I bought the 3 oz bottles in the Super Curly On The Go Kit. I have curly long hair to my tailbone. I had chemical burn on my scalp causing blisters and over 50% hair loss. My doctor had me do extensive blood work and the results were normal. She prescribed a medical shampoo which I have been using since October. I no longer have hair loss but my scalp itches sometimes. I had to have my hair cut extremely short to cover all the bald spots.There is a law firm investigating complaints. I just submitted my complaint to the law firm that is investigating Deva Curl. If have attached the link in case you want to make a complaint. I put a call in to Tina Wheeler. Laura said she has Monat samples. I'm hoping to try it first. https://cdfirm.com/investigation-for-law-suit-devacurl-no-poo-hair-products-alleged-to-cause-hair-loss-hair-damage-and-injury-to-scalp/
  • patram_1@yahoo.com[email protected] Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I bought the 3 oz bottles in the Super Curly On The Go Kit. I have curly long hair to my tailbone. I had chemical burn on my scalp causing blisters and over 50% hair loss. My doctor had me do extensive blood work and the results were normal. She prescribed a medical shampoo which I have been using since October. I no longer have hair loss but my scalp itches sometimes. I had to have my hair cut extremely short to cover all the bald spots.There is a law firm investigating complaints. I just submitted my complaint to the law firm that is investigating Deva Curl. If have attached the link in case you want to make a complaint. https://cdfirm.com/investigation-for-law-suit-devacurl-no-poo-hair-products-alleged-to-cause-hair-loss-hair-damage-and-injury-to-scalp/
    I bought the 3 oz bottles in the Super Curly On The Go Kit. I have curly long hair to my tailbone. I had chemical burn on my scalp causing blisters and over 50% hair loss. My doctor had me do extensive blood work and the results were normal. She prescribed a medical shampoo which I have been using since October. I no longer have hair loss but my scalp itches sometimes. I had to have my hair cut extremely short to cover all the bald spots.There is a law firm investigating complaints. I just submitted my complaint to the law firm that is investigating Deva Curl. If have attached the link in case you want to make a complaint. https://cdfirm.com/investigation-for-law-suit-devacurl-no-poo-hair-products-alleged-to-cause-hair-loss-hair-damage-and-injury-to-scalp/
  • AbbyAbhc19AbbyAbhc19 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I feel sorry for what happened to your hair. Hope these issues will be addressed soon.
  • HUHU Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Since No Poo has wheat, soy, and oat amino acids, there is a chance that those crops were sprayed with glyphosate to kill the crop right before harvesting. I wonder if the company did any testing on that chemical. I know the shampoo is not tested on animals.
  • LileireLileire Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Hairstory sounds great but very expensive. Any other alternatives then devacurl?? Been using it for years. I really dont want to become a product junkie again
  • LileireLileire Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Hairstory sounds great but very expensive. Any other alternatives then devacurl?? I really dont want to become a product junkie again

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file