Middle-aged(+) curlies familiar w/KitchenAid mixers

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
Now that the weird thread title is out of the way :tongue5:....

My mom has a KitchenAid mixer from the 1970s that to my untrained eye looks like it may have all the features of the modern ones. She has all the attachments that were on the market then. I would like a shiny new one in a color that draws me (hers is a shade of yellow popular from the time), but I could just give my mom's a thorough cleaning (been in the back of a storage closet for decades) and start taking advantage of it.

Is there a decent reason to justify getting a new one?
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    I actually think the older ones are better made. I have one from the early 90s and all of the parts are metal. At least from what I've heard, the newer ones have plastic parts and the motor isn't as strong, so they get bogged down on heavier doughs. If it's still working, keep it!

ETA: FTR, I'm not middle-aged, so feel free to entirely disregard my post. ;)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Retro is in, or so I hear. I'm not a huge fan of the 70's, but that's probably because we had the absolute worst furnishings of the decade back then, not the cool stuff. We certainly didn't have a Kitchen Aid mixer! Your mom was very well-equipped indeed!

My KA mixer is white. They came out with the cool red color after I got mine. Regrets...I've had a few. But...the red may look dated at some point, and the white never will.

Keep the yellow one if it's still working. It'll probably work for a very long time.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    I got the 6-quart professional as a gift from a friend who had two :). Mine is blue and fabulous (and free!) but after having lived in three states and four houses since it was gifted, white or silver would be my choice if I were buying my own, as cobalt blue doesn't match everything (it matches lots of things nicely, though).

I suggest you use the free one until it gives out, then sell it for the parts and put that money toward a new one in your color of choice. You may be waiting for a long time, though!
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm guessing it's that pukey yellow? lol
    Well, at least it's not avocado or coppertone :D
    I would def keep it!
    My mom still has her old mixer from forever ago and love that thing! Way better than the newer ones...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wrote a story about a professional cake baker in the area, and she swore by older mixers. Her everyday model was an aged Kitchen-Aid, but her big batch mixer was from the 30s or 40s, and still going strong.

I'd keep it: mixers and sewing machines tend to have been better made back then.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    dia99 wrote: »
    I suggest you use the free one until it gives out, then sell it for the parts and put that money toward a new one in your color of choice. You may be waiting for a long time, though!

This is what I would do. Plus, I agree with the poster who wrote that older KA mixers are better made.

We don't keep our appliances out on the counter (with the exception of the coffee machine), so color wouldn't matter to us. We'd be happy to take it off your hands. :)
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote: »
    We'd be happy to take it off your hands. :)

You beat me to the offer! :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would definitely keep it.

While I love my KA mixer, it's already showing a problem which the customer service gave vague instruction on how to fix and when we told them we already had and it didn't work they offered no other solution. I can't imagine what it will cost if I ever have to send it in for repair if it's even an option.

If that one is still kicking definitely use it because I really do think they were better made back then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    I'll add to the old v new discussion.

I got a Pro 500 series in Jan '06. Within months it completely died. It was still under warranty so my husband called cs and they sent a courier with a new one & the broken one was placed in a box and sent back. In Oct '10 the spinning mechanism on our mixer completely fell off. My husband somewhat got it back on, but it continues to be a problem. We would have to pay a KA repair center to fix it, so we've just been dealing. I never hear of problems like these with the old ones. Want to switch? ;)
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you really dislike the old mixer, you could consider selling it and putting the money towards the mixer of your dreams. A quick look at eBay showed me recent transactions of vintage KA mixers going for over $100. Apparently, they hold their value.
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,764Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My mother has an old (very old) Kitchenaid mixer. She lived in Mexico City and her brother living in Washington DC gave her that as a present (that brand wasn t sold here at the time). It has been in my mother s home forver. My mother is not a baker but she uses it once in a while. It still works. It s white and looks clean and "vintage" today (which can be a plus). I remember doing mayonaisse and meringues when I was a teen with that appliance. I like it. :)
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Clearly, we older models are well made (speaking as a vintage curlie). :toothy8:

I'm all for enjoying life and buying what you really enjoy, even if it replaces something you already have that is useful, but in this case I agree with the other posters. A lot of appliances today don't compare with older models (like Hoover vacuums). They are made of plastic rather than metal and stuck together with spit.

Maybe save the oldie but goodie and treat yourself to something new and delightful and indulgent with the $ you save. :thumbup:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'd try the old one and see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't, sell it as RCW suggested, and buy one you love. I'm sure the old one is well made and will be great for things like cake batters. It might not have as much horsepower as a new though, which means it might not keep up with heavy doughs and such. It's just impossible to say until you use it in real life.

I bought a Kitchenaid mixer with wedding gift money 10 years ago. Back then it was the mid-grade version. It still works great and I've never had a problem with it. However, it's just barely powerful enough for heavy doughs and I wish now that I'd bought a more powerful one. I know nothing about them, but I keep eyeing Viking mixers. They just LOOK impressive. Hautelook had them a few weeks ago and it was all I could do to not order one.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    I'd try the old one and see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't, sell it as RCW suggested, and buy one you love. I'm sure the old one is well made and will be great for things like cake batters. It might not have as much horsepower as a new though, which means it might not keep up with heavy doughs and such. It's just impossible to say until you use it in real life.

I bought a Kitchenaid mixer with wedding gift money 10 years ago. Back then it was the mid-grade version. It still works great and I've never had a problem with it. However, it's just barely powerful enough for heavy doughs and I wish now that I'd bought a more powerful one. I know nothing about them, but I keep eyeing Viking mixers. They just LOOK impressive. Hautelook had them a few weeks ago and it was all I could do to not order one.

http://www.hobartcorp.com/products/food-prep/mixers/n50-5-quart-mixer/

You might try getting a used Hobart and it might be cheaper than a new Viking.
    (Edit: Nope, a used N50 seems to go for about $800, though I see one was sold for $627 on eBay)

A lot of old KA mixers were made by Hobart, which explains the durability.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Thanks for your input ladies (of all ages!) :)
    I would def keep it!
    My mom still has her old mixer from forever ago and love that thing! Way better than the newer ones...

Oy, haha. It is. It looks like more of a yellow than a green to me, but when I find it online it's being called that.

Fetched this from google images..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReHOKQSphDB4Tc31jXzFC_gcqVSLzJIp-uRR9Pzk3oG4fm4fD-

It's a Hobart 10 speed so I'm gathering it's definitely worth holding onto if it works properly. I've been slowly trying to expand my baking skills and I always have a compulsion to surround myself with aesthetically pleasing tools when I get serious about something. It's a mojo thing and although not necessarily reasonable, the psychological mood setting that does for me I /feel/ will foster my best work. BUT eh, I'm already getting over it. Associating the pretty new ones with being stuck together with spit (thanks for that CP) is helping.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like that one, sew and sew! I love the vintage look, no matter the color, and it probably is made much better. Keep it! I bet it's awesome. I currently have a white Kitchen Aid that's about six years old, and I'd be quite happy with yours!
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DH got me a (white) KA stand mixer a few years ago, like others, I don't leave it out. I use it only a few times a year, and I bake weekly. For ease I grab the KA hand mixer.

My mom ( also a baker) used a Sunbeam stand mixer in the 70's & 80's. I did not keep it after she passed but it likely had years left.

I would use the old one and save $300 dollars, unless you really have your heart set on new one.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for your input ladies (of all ages!) :)
    I would def keep it!

Oy, haha. It is. It looks like more of a yellow than a green to me, but when I find it online it's being called that.

Fetched this from google images..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReHOKQSphDB4Tc31jXzFC_gcqVSLzJIp-uRR9Pzk3oG4fm4fD-

It's a Hobart 10 speed so I'm gathering it's definitely worth holding onto if it works properly. I've been slowly trying to expand my baking skills and I always have a compulsion to surround myself with aesthetically pleasing tools when I get serious about something. It's a mojo thing and although not necessarily reasonable, the psychological mood setting that does for me I /feel/ will foster my best work. BUT eh, I'm already getting over it. Associating the pretty new ones with being stuck together with spit (thanks for that CP) is helping.
    lol...... :silent:
    They also had something called sliced avocado, which that still looks like yellow-something :goofy:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    LOL @ "middle-aged curlies." :chef:

I have an older KA stand mixer, circa 1990. All-metal, runs like a champ, and shows no signs of stopping. Mine is white and over the years I have been tempted to replace it with a red, black, or stainless model, but I couldn't justify ditching a perfectly good appliance.

I do think that if your mom's mixer is still in good working order, I would be hesitant to replace it now. I like the retro color. It is true that most things aren't made as well as they used to be. Too many appliances, especially, have switched to plastic parts that aren't as durable and the motors don't seem as powerful or long-lived. I have my mom's old Husqvarna sewing machine, circa 1970. I still use it till this day and have never had to have it serviced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you're going to leave it out you could always go crazy and dress it up with some vinyl. :toothy10: (apologies for the huge-mongous picture)

Dentist+Visit+and+Kitchenaid+137.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    I think that mixer is gorgeous! Personally, I wish I had one of those over my KA Pro 500 metallic silver.
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    middle age = 40 to 60 (just checking)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file