"Made in the USA" Christmas gifts

KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
I was watching the news yesterday, and there was a soundbite that said that if everybody in the U.S. spent $64 over the holidays on items that were made in the USA, it would create over 200,000 jobs.

Now, I don't really think that that's going to happen, but it made me think that it would be nice to make a conscious effort to direct my shopping to domestic products (if not local). I don't shop much...so does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions for products that they love that are made in America?

Comments

  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    When I worked at the Tower of London, it was always American tourists who were very adamant that they wouldn't buy anything that wasn't made in England or USA. If it was make in China they wouldn't buy it.
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    kat180 wrote: »
    When I worked at the Tower of London, it was always American tourists who were very adamant that they wouldn't buy anything that wasn't made in England or USA. If it was make in China they wouldn't buy it.

    To be honest, I've never really cared before--I'm usually just looking for good prices. But I figured it can't hurt!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ummm, Ball mason jars!!! Then you can grow your own food organically and can it (and stay up reeeeally late doing that after work).

    Making your own gifts is good.
    Going out and doing things together - listening to local music groups, shopping at local small businesses (okay, not all made in USA, but local jobs).

    Here's a website as a guide: Made in the USA Products Directory

    Stuff made in the US or sold at small businesses often costs more, but then just buy fewer gifts and listen to more Christmas Carols and have a cup of cocoa instead.

    Magazine subscriptions was a way I went with young niece and nephew last year. Certainly some are still printed in the US, pay freelancers and staffers and all that.

    For people who feed birds, bird seed is usually grown/packed in the US and also appreciated. For pets/pet lovers, Kong brand toys and several others that are safe to chew and keep pets busy are made in the US.

    My mother lives alone and doesn't like to cook, so I usually cook a bunch of things she likes and freeze them and make a gift out of that.

    This is a great post you started, I've been thinking about this too.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Kikapoo wrote: »
    kat180 wrote: »
    When I worked at the Tower of London, it was always American tourists who were very adamant that they wouldn't buy anything that wasn't made in England or USA. If it was make in China they wouldn't buy it.

    To be honest, I've never really cared before--I'm usually just looking for good prices. But I figured it can't hurt!

    I was just curious about the general mentality and that it was always Americans. I don't know whether it was because it was a tourist hotspot and they wanted something 'authentic' from their trip or whether they had more personal feelings about it.

    Sorry - Im totally not answering your question or helping am I :)
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    kat180 wrote: »
    Kikapoo wrote: »
    kat180 wrote: »
    When I worked at the Tower of London, it was always American tourists who were very adamant that they wouldn't buy anything that wasn't made in England or USA. If it was make in China they wouldn't buy it.

    To be honest, I've never really cared before--I'm usually just looking for good prices. But I figured it can't hurt!

    I was just curious about the general mentality and that it was always Americans. I don't know whether it was because it was a tourist hotspot and they wanted something 'authentic' from their trip or whether they had more personal feelings about it.

    Sorry - Im totally not answering your question or helping am I :)
    I think most people who feel that way are really conscious about supporting the local economy. They're often upset that so many manufacturers outsource to factories in China, etc. because it weakens the U.S. economy and costs people their jobs. Of course, some might just be pretentious poseurs, too. :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas


    My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    kat180 wrote: »
    Kikapoo wrote: »

    To be honest, I've never really cared before--I'm usually just looking for good prices. But I figured it can't hurt!

    I was just curious about the general mentality and that it was always Americans. I don't know whether it was because it was a tourist hotspot and they wanted something 'authentic' from their trip or whether they had more personal feelings about it.

    Sorry - Im totally not answering your question or helping am I :)
    I think most people who feel that way are really conscious about supporting the local economy. They're often upset that so many manufacturers outsource to factories in China, etc. because it weakens the U.S. economy and costs people their jobs. Of course, some might just be pretentious poseurs, too. :)


    Agreed. Some people might also use it as a way to protest inhumane pay and working conditions in many countries...although in the case of the people you described...maybe not. :)
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I am trying to make sure that most of the gift I give/send this year are made in JA and it's actually much harder to do so than I thought. A lot of things that are Jamaicaized are made in China or India but with the Jamaican flag/colours.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • mintheminthe Banned Posts: 209Banned Users
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    kat180 wrote: »
    Kikapoo wrote: »

    To be honest, I've never really cared before--I'm usually just looking for good prices. But I figured it can't hurt!

    I was just curious about the general mentality and that it was always Americans. I don't know whether it was because it was a tourist hotspot and they wanted something 'authentic' from their trip or whether they had more personal feelings about it.

    Sorry - Im totally not answering your question or helping am I :)
    I think most people who feel that way are really conscious about supporting the local economy. They're often upset that so many manufacturers outsource to factories in China, etc. because it weakens the U.S. economy and costs people their jobs. Of course, some might just be pretentious poseurs, too. :)

    That may be right, but there is also an anti-China sentiment in the air. It's one thing if China manipulates its currency or has unfair trade laws. I don't know enough about economics to know if that's true or not. But there has been a trend lately of blaming Hispanics and Asians in the U.S. and abroad for "stealing 'American' jobs." It's in reality very hard to get a visa to work in the U.S. They're mainly in specific job catagories where there are shortages. I can't say about Hispanics, but I've been directly accused of taking people's jobs before and endured coarse comments about the subject. I was born in the U.S. I'm not wealthy, nor is my family. We have it just as bad as the "average" American.

    I'm pretty surprised how the immigration topic is so important in politics, and at how quickly the conversation jumps to maligning Hispanics and whole countries - India and China, specifically. The whole "Made in the USA" trend I see as falling in line with this. Many people in the "Made in the USA" movement may have innocent intentions, but it's starting to get a little scary.
    ddkodd.jpg2jcfs6t.jpg
    Proud to be Indian-Iranian American

    "I'd rather they say they hate Jews than hide behind some stupid bs about them being attacked."
    --Marah Mizrahi (on Middle Eastern relations)
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't buy anything from China if I can help it because I don't trust that their goods aren't full of lead or other hazards. There's also that pesky problem with unfair labor practices.

    I don't believe that buying any old product made in the USA will do much to help the economy or add jobs. American companies have a dirty little secret: they're already flush with cash; they just choose not to hire. I buy local whenever I can and support the businesses that have a direct impact on my own community's economy.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    I don't buy anything from China if I can help it because I don't trust that their goods aren't full of lead or other hazards. There's also that pesky problem with unfair labor practices.

    I don't believe that buying any old product made in the USA will do much to help the economy or add jobs. American companies have a dirty little secret: they're already flush with cash; they just choose not to hire. I buy local whenever I can and support the businesses that have a direct impact on my own community's economy.

    Excellent point--I wasn't thinking of it that way. Maybe I'll just focus on trying to shop at local small businesses.
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    yes stop buying cheap stuff from China. buy stuff from VN instead and support my relatives so i dont have to.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    ^^^:iconbiggrin:
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas


    My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    In my opinion, campaigns centring around buying from your own country are xenophobic, or at least feed into xenophobia.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    In my opinion, campaigns centring around buying from your own country are xenophobic, or at least feed into xenophobia.

    How is it xenophobic to want to support your country's economy? I am truly baffled by your statement.
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    Peppy wrote: »
    How is it xenophobic to want to support your country's economy? I am truly baffled by your statement.

    It's not really that big of a stretch.

    Unless you're someone that always looks for an ulterior motive and doesn't really care about the jobs, lives, economies of other countries.

    My little town has signs up all over...Buy Local.

    That has nothing to do with not liking the town down the road or different state or country. It's about supporting the economy where I live. The more money I put into this community, the more I get out of it. That's all anyone wants when they say buy local, whether it's city, state or country wide.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CGE wrote: »
    Peppy wrote: »
    How is it xenophobic to want to support your country's economy? I am truly baffled by your statement.

    It's not really that big of a stretch.

    Unless you're someone that always looks for an ulterior motive and doesn't really care about the jobs, lives, economies of other countries.

    My little town has signs up all over...Buy Local.

    That has nothing to do with not liking the town down the road or different state or country. It's about supporting the economy where I live. The more money I put into this community, the more I get out of it. That's all anyone wants when they say buy local, whether it's city, state or country wide.

    My city is like that too.

    There are so many benefits from buying from local small businesses or farmers markets versus buying from the big box/discount stores.

    It has to do with getting these small businesses back on their feet, they've suffered a lot from this poor economy. Buying local can also be healthier; organic, knowing the grower/farmer.

    I am having difficulty seeing how trying to improve our economy is xenophobic.
    :rambo:
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »
    CGE wrote: »
    Peppy wrote: »
    How is it xenophobic to want to support your country's economy? I am truly baffled by your statement.

    It's not really that big of a stretch.

    Unless you're someone that always looks for an ulterior motive and doesn't really care about the jobs, lives, economies of other countries.

    My little town has signs up all over...Buy Local.

    That has nothing to do with not liking the town down the road or different state or country. It's about supporting the economy where I live. The more money I put into this community, the more I get out of it. That's all anyone wants when they say buy local, whether it's city, state or country wide.

    My city is like that too.

    There are so many benefits from buying from local small businesses or farmers markets versus buying from the big box/discount stores.

    It has to do with getting these small businesses back on their feet, they've suffered a lot from this poor economy. Buying local can also be healthier; organic, knowing the grower/farmer.

    I am having difficulty seeing how trying to improve our economy is xenophobic.

    :thumbright: to all of the above. :usa2:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't get into the whole made in the usa thing. Just because the the company is foreign doesn't mean they don't employee here. My first well paying job was making automotive speakers for domestic and foreign manufacturers. If we would have lost our foreign contracts there would have been massive layoffs in the only major employer in my area.
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think most people this Xmas are concerned about where their gifts are made. People are just trying to eke out an existence these days. The economy still sucks so if someone is buying gifts, they're trying to find the cheapest prices around.

    Plus even if something says "Made in the USA", that might not be strictly true. Lots of companies have gotten in trouble for labeling their products as such because they were assembled in the USA. The parts came from other countries but the assembly was done here.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

    Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

    Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

    I live in the NYC area.


  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    I don't get into the whole made in the usa thing. Just because the the company is foreign doesn't mean they don't employee here. My first well paying job was making automotive speakers for domestic and foreign manufacturers. If we would have lost our foreign contracts there would have been massive layoffs in the only major employer in my area.

    Yeah, mrspoppers post made me realize that I think (in my case) that buying local is more my goal. I see your point.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cympreni wrote: »
    I don't get into the whole made in the usa thing. Just because the the company is foreign doesn't mean they don't employee here. My first well paying job was making automotive speakers for domestic and foreign manufacturers. If we would have lost our foreign contracts there would have been massive layoffs in the only major employer in my area.

    That's understandable, and that's fine.

    My lack of understanding comes from being called xenophobic because I choose to buy yarn at an LYS versus a Walmart. Sure, the yarn might be imported as well, but I'm supporting the local business.

    I rarely notice if something is made here, since it's hard to find items that are 100% made here. But, if I refrain from shopping at some of these bigger stores, I hardly think I'm xenophobic. Even if I did look for made in the USA labels, I don't think it makes me xenophobic either. I'd rather help our economy than Canada's, Italy's, or even China.
    :rambo:
  • seamonsterseamonster Posts: 81Registered Users
    Hi I am finding more items made in the USA.

    Country Gents makes authentic wood or horn combs, and some other cute old fashion products.

    Etsy has a wealth of handmade products from people in the USA, just check to see where the maker lives.

    Simple cheap turtlenecks, t shirts, and such are often made in the USA. There are a few designers that make most of their clothes in the USA, check the labels

    American Apparel,
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You couldn't pay me to shop at American Apparel. Charney is a sexist *******. They've also had their own problems with hiring undocumented workers in their factories.


    Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file