Hair in cookie - No biggie or yucky?

gemidevigemidevi Posts: 510Registered Users
There is a small deli and bakery down the street from my office that I got to frequently. The owners/operators make everything from scratch - the soups, sandwiches, salads and all the yummy baked goods!!

Yesterday, on whim, I bought 2 yummy cookies and saved one for today. As I was going to take my second bit, I noticed a hair sticking out and its baked into the cookie. Now I am not going to finish the cookie, but do I tell the owners of my discovery or just chaulk it up to "it happens".

(And in a way it's good thing I found the hair. It's not like I need the cookie! hehehehe)
*disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    If it's a big deal to you, tell them.
    Hair in food (human hair) is pretty much not a big deal to me because I know it happens. I've had it happen with my hair a couple of times even though I work with my hair pulled up and back and under a bandanna.
    When I find a hair in something, I pretty much pull it out and shrug it off.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah if it's a place you frequent, I would tell them.

But finding hair in food is one of my personal "gag-reflex" inducers. :sad1:
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    ewww! but it depends. i been to places where i eat there so much, a one time hair thing will probably not bother me. if i found a hair in food form my favorite bakery, i would probably not care. a new place i dont know. maybe tell them.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Saria wrote: »
    If it's a big deal to you, tell them.
    Hair in food (human hair) is pretty much not a big deal to me because I know it happens. I've had it happen with my hair a couple of times even though I work with my hair pulled up and back and under a bandanna.
    When I find a hair in something, I pretty much pull it out and shrug it off.

Same here.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I've never really understood the big deal about a hair. On the rare occasions when it happens, I just pull it out and move on. It just isn't something that grosses me out. Bugs, on the other hand...

If a hair is something that really bothers you in your food, go ahead and tell them. Really, it just depends on how important you think it is that they know about it.

I meant to pick, "nah, it happens..." but picked the "who cares..." without reading the whole thing. I didn't mean for you to "just get over it!"
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair happens. I'd just pull it out and continue on.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If it's somewhere I frequent, and the place and people preparing the food are clean, I'd pick it out and eat the cookie. It's baked, right?! But I would tell them about it, just so they know.

This has happened to me before, I ate the food but did let them know, since so many people are icked-out by hair in food.

One time, there appeared to be a dried blood smear on my sandwich paper wrap. :pukeright: I did tell them (they claimed it to be sauce--not!) and got a voucher for a free meal. I did NOT eat the sandwich or get another one right away, I had lost my appetite. I actually did not go back for quite some time, and now I check my food and stuff before eating there. It was a clean place, but BLOOD? No way!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Eh, it's just a hair. No biggie, to me. It's not something gross, like a band-aid (which I found in a burger once...:pukeleft:).
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I'd only tell them if it happened more than once. Hair in food is going to happen and it doesn't bother me, but if I find hair more than once from the same establishment in a relatively short amount of time I'd assume the cooks are being careless.
    Eres o te haces?
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw no big deal. It happens. Most places do take the necessary precautions to avoid hair. Sometimes it accidentally gets in there. They really can't do much but continue to take said precautions.

If I find a hair, I usually remove it and go on. If I didn't see it and I happen to pull a hair out of my mouth...well, I usually lose my appetite, but I won't do anything about it.

Using my iphone with my toe thumbs. There will be typos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I don't get too grossed out over hair. It happens. I just pick it out and keep it movin'. If it were insects, mouse droppings or some other gag reflex thing, then I would say something since that's more indicative of an establishment's lack of cleanliness.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i know that it's the stuff we can't see in our food when dining out that we should be most concerned about, rather than a kitchen staffer's hair. however, it's a mental thing with me.

if it were a place i frequent and have never had a problem with, i would probably toss the cookie (get it?), but would return another day. if it were a plate of food from a place i frequent, i probably wouldn't send the food back, but would cut away a portion of the contaminated food from the "cleaner" part of my plate to make me feel better about picking over the rest of the food on my plate.

we went to a pizza place where part of the floor was sticky, the fountain drink machine was dripping with drinks, the tables were wiped off, but with a wet cloth that left water beads on the surface when we sat down, and then ... a hair was on one of our kids' pizza slices.

all of those things tallied up made us think "nasty, filthy, disgusting" establishment. we got up and left and never went back again. the place always has a packed parking lot, so apparently someone is keeping them in business.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • favoritecolorblufavoritecolorblu Posts: 287Registered Users
    Idk...the fact that I could bite into it and feel the hair grosses me out. I think it's because I have texture issues....
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Hair in food is just one of those things that makes me gag (even if it's my own hair). I realize that hair in food is something that inevitably happens, but I cannot control my psychological aversion to it.

I go to Panera every Friday for their Fuji Apple Chicken Salad. I've never had a problem but last week I was eating my salad and felt that weird texture in my mouth. I pulled a long and curly hair out of my mouth. I've never noticed if the food prep people at Panera wear hats, hair nets, or bandanas. But I'm very big on giving feedback (good or bad), and called them. The manager let out an involuntary, "eww," and was very apologetic. He even offered me a free salad on my next visit.

I think you should let them know. I think businesses appreciate feedback from their customers. It helps them figure out what needs improvement or let's them know what they're doing right.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote: »
    Hair in food is just one of those things that makes me gag (even if it's my own hair). I realize that hair in food is something that inevitably happens, but I cannot control my psychological aversion to it.

I go to Panera every Friday for their Fuji Apple Chicken Salad. I've never had a problem but last week I was eating my salad and felt that weird texture in my mouth. I pulled a long and curly hair out of my mouth. I've never noticed if the food prep people at Panera wear hats, hair nets, or bandanas. But I'm very big on giving feedback (good or bad), and called them. The manager let out an involuntary, "eww," and was very apologetic. He even offered me a free salad on my next visit.

I think you should let them know. I think businesses appreciate feedback from their customers. It helps them figure out what needs improvement or let's them know what they're doing right.
    The place I mentioned above was a Panera. They do have good customer service! ;)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Nah, it happens even at the most conscienctious places.

That hasn't been my experience. I've never found hair in my food at upscale restaurants such as Daniel, Le Bernardin, or One If By Land, Two If By Sea (all in NYC). The few times I've found hair in my food were at salad bars, my local Chinese take out place, and most recently, Panera Bread.
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    The place I mentioned above was a Panera. They do have good customer service! ;)

Blood, CurliLocks? Blood? :pale:
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

That hasn't been my experience. I've never found hair in my food at upscale restaurants such as Daniel, Le Bernardin, or One If By Land, Two If By Sea (all in NYC). The few times I've found hair in my food were at salad bars, my local Chinese take out place, and most recently, Panera Bread.

I found a hair in my food at a really expensive, well known restaurant in San Francisco and a piece of metal in my bread at a really expensive restaurant in Boston. It does happen a lot (although I'd say it happens more frequently at things like buffets/salad bars because everything is just sitting out and people are reaching over bins) but upscale restaurants do tend to take more precautions. I tend to find things like that a lot... my family jokes that if anyone at a restaurant will ever find something in their food it will be me. I look at my food more closely than most people so it's probably why I find them. ;)

It gives me the heebie jeebies, but it's not going to make you sick or anything. If it was a one off thing, I'd just throw out the cookie and forget about it.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Hubby always says if a curly hair is around he knows it's mine.. :laughing2:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

rileyb wrote: »

I found a hair in my food at a really expensive, well known restaurant in San Francisco and a piece of metal in my bread at a really expensive restaurant in Boston. It does happen a lot (although I'd say it happens more frequently at things like buffets/salad bars because everything is just sitting out and people are reaching over bins) but upscale restaurants do tend to take more precautions. I tend to find things like that a lot... my family jokes that if anyone at a restaurant will ever find something in their food it will be me. I look at my food more closely than most people so it's probably why I find them. ;)

It gives me the heebie jeebies, but it's not going to make you sick or anything. If it was a one off thing, I'd just throw out the cookie and forget about it.

I've been very lucky, it would seem. It's never happened at any of the nicer restaurants, we've been to. I'm really glad it hasn't happened because it would surely ruin my dining experience. Paying $$$ for the food/dining experience, and then finding a hair in the food would really suck. Now watch, riley, I will find a hair in my food the next time we're out to dinner. :tongue2:

ETA: My aversion is not rational. I know the hair isn't going to make me sick, just as a bug won't make me sick. It's probably a texture issue, as a previous poster suggested. I cannot control it. Funny thing is, things that would bother people, such as nails on a chalkboard or teeth scraping against Styrofoam, don't bother me. Go figure.
  • gemidevigemidevi Posts: 510Registered Users
    Well I threw the cookie out and I figured I won't say anything to them about it. It was probably a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence and I don't want to make a big issue out of it. The owners and their employees are always very sweet to me and the sit-in area is clean.

Thank you for your responses!

I do want to add in that conscientious does not necessarily mean HIGH END restaurant. I know a few mom/pop places that are extremely clean and extremely anal about the quality of their foods. So yes, high end restaurants might not have such issues as smaller, low end, or even buffet-type restaurants. This is not always true, however.

I am going to go back and get another cookie though! YUM!! :)
    *disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm the owner of a head of hair that finds it's way into everything (even when I worked in restaurants and wore my hair in a pony plus a hair net plus a cap), so it just doesn't bother me. When I find a hair I take it out and continue eating. Same thing for egg shells, nut shells, rubber bands (the kind found on produce), etc. As long as I don't break a tooth on it or choke on it, I just let it go.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rileyb wrote: »

I've been very lucky, it would seem. It's never happened at any of the nicer restaurants, we've been to. I'm really glad it hasn't happened because it would surely ruin my dining experience. Paying $$$ for the food/dining experience, and then finding a hair in the food would really suck. Now watch, riley, I will find a hair in my food the next time we're out to dinner. :tongue2:

ETA: My aversion is not rational. I know the hair isn't going to make me sick, just as a bug won't make me sick. It's probably a texture issue, as a previous poster suggested. I cannot control it. Funny thing is, things that would bother people, such as nails on a chalkboard or teeth scraping against Styrofoam, don't bother me. Go figure.

I feel you 100%!

This topic just reminded me of the time my mom found a cockroach in her salad at Rax (remember those??)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file