Really wavy since CG ?!?!

So, I might just be anxious and in the transitioning period, but my hair is really wavy 3 days into the CG method. It was really springy curly but now it feels lumpish, wavy, and soft. Help??

Comments

• beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    What products are you using? You may be overconditioned, needing protein, or have some buildup. When I first went CG I missed some ingredients in my products that weren't CG-friendly and lost quite a bit of my curl.

If you have fine hair, you might need more protein. My hair was looking much more wavy than curly (I was a 3B at my curliest, medium/fine) and when I started adding more protein-y products, my curls quite literally sprang back to life. :)
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • AlioAlio Posts: 9Registered Users
    My products are all CG actually! Is it not normal that's it's acting like this so early?
  • monniejmonniej Posts: 25Registered Users
    sounds like it could be moisture overload. when was the last time i did a protein treatment? i'd add a little protein conditioner (i like ors hair mayo) to your next co-wash and that should bring your curls back to life. i hope this helps!
  • TraceWallTraceWall Posts: 22Registered Users
    Also, watch out for products that are super heavy. If I use something that is too creamy, etc, my waves/curls literally disappear.
    What products are protieny? Like what kind of rinse out would be good?
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    It sounds like over conditioning or build up, like BeautifulRain said. Do you know what texture your hair is (as in, fine, medium, or coarse)? If your hair is fine, it might need some extra protein. IAgirl's gelatin PT is a great homemade quickie option (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html). If your hair is more on the coarse side, it may also just be the adjustment period. Our hair has to adjust to all the extra moisture we give it when going CG! :) Then again, it could be build up. Did your last sulfate wash or conditioner or any products have silicones in them? I made the mistake of accidentally using a cone-y last sulfate wash, and my hair felt so gross until I got that out.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree you may be overconditioned or using products that are too heavy for your hair type. Even CG styling products can build up. Also agree with beautifulRain's suggestion that you try protein - it might be what you need to perk up your curls. Nexxus is one and Sally's beauty supply has one. You could do a search on the boards here.
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm not sure if it was siliconey. I used a Pantene wash! But yeah I think my hair is medium in the back, then fine in the front.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Pantene is normally full of silicones! :( You might want to check the back of the bottle to make sure there was nothing nasty in there (anything that ends in -cone, -conol, or -xane is a 'cone). If there was a 'cone in there, it's no biggy -- if you already have or buy something cheap like a Suave or VO5 shampoo, they are great, cheap, 'cone-free shampoos that will definitely get all the 'cones out. Then again, a sulfate free shampoo that has either coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine in it will get 'cones out, too, and can be used in the future as a gentle low poo (Mod-CG). :)

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    Pantene is normally full of silicones! :( You might want to check the back of the bottle to make sure there was nothing nasty in there (anything that ends in -cone, -conol, or -xane is a 'cone). If there was a 'cone in there, it's no biggy -- if you already have or buy something cheap like a Suave or VO5 shampoo, they are great, cheap, 'cone-free shampoos that will definitely get all the 'cones out. Then again, a sulfate free shampoo that has either coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine in it will get 'cones out, too, and can be used in the future as a gentle low poo (Mod-CG). :)

HTH!

Yeah, I used the Pantene Clarifying shampoo at first and then looked more carefully and found it had 'cones. I keep a $1 bottle of Suave shampoo on hand for clarifying. I've only used it 2-3 times, but that's no biggie since it was so cheap. Try something like that and then see how your products work. Hopefully you'll see some improvement!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • pinkycurlypinkycurly Posts: 26Registered Users
    i need help too.frist when i started transitioning i started with pantene,which caused me build up and hairloss,but during this period when hair was strong,hard an untameable.i became a product junkie while looking for other product to use but my hair was the same and matter how much cream i use it would always feel dry and shine a little when i use things with petroluem or mineral oil. but at last i found my new conditioner called organic root stimulator hair repleshisher.after some time(7 months into transitioning) my hair became soft,shinny,not too oily not too dry,wavy just like babies hair nd curly in the middle nd i dont use more than olive nd carrot oil for moisturing,shapoo and coonditioner.nd am thinking is this part of hair change or do i av my baby hair back or am doing somethin wrong,did i damage my hair!!!!!!!!.and am not mixed raised,no white in my family at all.and also i have no buildup,but my still cuts a little but not that much.pls help:cheese::cheese::cheese::clock:
    Thank you all so much!!! Yeah I think I'll just clarify. I think Suave had a clarifying shampoo!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file