Anyone tried Alba Botanica Volumizing Conditioner

Has anyone tried the Alba Botanica Volumizing Conditioner for CG?

I read the ingredients and it looks CG. It's silicone, protein, paraben and pthalate FREE...

Purified water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, ceteareth-20, behen trimonium methosulfate, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, camellia sinensis leaf, organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf and mentha piperita (peppermint) leaf, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil,carapa guaianensis (andiroba) seed oil, pentaclethra filamentosa (pracaxi) oil, passiflora edulis (maracuja) fruit oil, panthenol, citric acid, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, calendula officinalis flower, eucalyptus globulus leaf and macrocystis pyrifera (kelp), sodium benzoate, ethylhexylglycerin, fragrance.

I used Nature's Gate conditioners before... I really like the old hemp conditioner except that it made my scalp really itchy. Now they reformulated their conditioners... and they're all loaded with protein. Protein makes my hair super dry!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bump. I'm curious of this as well! Would appreciate any feedback.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I've been meaning to try it! I will probably pick some up this weekend. I'll let you know after!

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

I've been meaning to try it! I will probably pick some up this weekend. I'll let you know after!
    How awesome! Please let us know how it goes. It looks promising for my coarse-LP hair but I hope its not too heavy. What's your hair properties?
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    According to my analysis I have medium coarse hair, normal elasticity dry, low when wet, high porosity ends, normal porosity lengths and low porosity roots. I haven't updated my signature since then so ignore that. I was very surprised when Wendy said my hair was not fine, I was sure at least some of it was fine if not most. But she also said my hair has a silky feeling, which I think is why I mistook it for fine hair.
    I think my grocery store has that condish and I'm out of milk so maybe I'll stop on the way home and get it today!

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

According to my analysis I have medium coarse hair, normal elasticity dry, low when wet, high porosity ends, normal porosity lengths and low porosity roots. I haven't updated my signature since then so ignore that. I was very surprised when Wendy said my hair was not fine, I was sure at least some of it was fine if not most. But she also said my hair has a silky feeling, which I think is why I mistook it for fine hair.
    I think my grocery store has that condish and I'm out of milk so maybe I'll stop on the way home and get it today!
    Heeeeyyy we're hair sisters! LOL. I have almost similar hair to yours and I also mistook my hair as being fine-medium because it didn't feel as substantial as what I knew as coarse (thick) hair. I have low-density, though, so I do need some help with volume.

I can't wait to hear how it goes! I might order it from iHerb soon. Can't wait to have the KCCC in stock again before putting an order. Heheh.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

I've never had a hair twin before, yayyyy! I like kccc for keeping my hair moist but it absolutely killllls my volume. And regular gels leave my hair dried out. Today I tried just straight aloe vera gel under a hard hold gel and so far it's very nice and moist but not flat. My biggest problem is getting my hair to last all day so we will see how it holds up. I tried KCCC under a hard hold and it was very hard to scrunch out and felt a little producty for my taste. I might try that again with less KCCC though. One thing Wendy mentioned was that I might try using a little less conditioner and just adding some water to my hair to help distribute. I've been doing that and it's been really great. I really wish I had just big chopped a long time ago so I didn't have such dry/porous ends. I'm actually missing the cuticle on some of my hair, so sad. I will never bleach my hair again. I could chop now I guess but I'm really attached to the length.
    I didn't make it to the grocery store last night and I can't tonight either but Saturday I'm totes going to check for that condish.

Go Red Wings!

Ah no way! I was tempted to order KCCC with Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel from Beauty By Zara, but those two including shipping will set me back Eur60! I can't spring such fortune for something that won't work! I figured I should experiment with conditioners first (after shortlisting those available on the market) and choose my styler accordingly.

I hate having such long list of products for my routine and cluttering my bathroom/vanity. One thing I learned from moving around the world several times for the past 3-years: my products take up the weight I can carry than stuff I essentially need. Sigh.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

I hate how high maintenance my routine is. I'm hoping that once my damage is all cut out it gets easier.
    Traveling with 7 hair products is so annoying. If you fly it's such a nuisance to have to move them into TSA approved sized bottles and then put them back into the regular size when you get home.
    Buuut the PJ is strong with this one (me). So I have a pretty intense product graveyard.
    I've tried to rule out products I have to order online, it gets too expensive. But I really really like the crunchy hold gel Sweet Curls makes on Etsy so I break my rule for that.
    I'm curious since we are hair twinsies, do you get second day hair? I never do and when I try to refresh it ends up very frizzy.

Go Red Wings!

7 products with hair alone is a lot for me. I won't survive that way. That's why I try to build up a routine with products that can do "more than one thing". One thing I can't give up are nail polishes and perfumes. And they're really heavy.

Mmmmm. Funnily enough, if I touch my hair too much on the first day or SOTC before it gets dry (I'm SO impatient), I get a lot of frizz. I don't do pineapple (hair's too short for that), don't sleep with satin pillowcase (I often sleep without pillow at all - my neck hurts), but my hair "kinda" looks better on second day. What I do when I wake up is to fluff the roots, dampen the flyaways with my hands and apply a tiny drop of oil to smooth things out. Not perfect, but it works quite alright thus far! I can do that with DIY spray (water+EO/CO), buuttt yea that'll add another canister in my bathroom, so no. :D
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Well your hair is lp so it makes sense your hair looks better second day. Like your products finally are all absorbed maybe.
    I'm a nail polish addict for sure. Heavy bag of polishes!! I really like when OPI puts out those baby bottle sample packs. They're just the right size to use and finish better they start to go bad.
    I know, packing 7 products is kind of shameful feeling. But it's a low poo, a protein condish (just in case I get oc'd), a regular condish, a LI, and whatever products I'm cocktailing, which is usually at least two different gels. Add to that the fact that on that trip my hair looked bad in spite of all that work and I just wanted to shave my head.

Go Red Wings!

Ish. I feel you. Overtime, I just learned to settle with how things are than demand perfection and exhaust myself. Isn't easy at all. I've lost count of the times I just want to run a clipper on my head.

I'm not sure if it's slow absorption or adsorption of the ingredients. The latter seems unlikely as they are supposed to just attach themselves to the surface and work from there. For some reason, my hair always looks better when I just wake up from sleep. Can't figure out how.

I tried The Body Shop Banana Conditioner today as RO/LI under FSG, after oil pre-wash treatment and clarifying. It took forever to dry completely: half a day! But it's definitely lightweight, the frizz was cut down by a lot, great shine and softness, nice definition in more real thick and big clumpy way. But I felt it elongates/stretches my curl a bit and I want a bit tighter curls. I guess I'll have to tweak my DIY gel a bit.
    Anyways, it's nice to find something that works that's available all around the globe.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Ok I got sick this weekend and my local grocery store didn't have that specific conditioner, grr. I have to go to the co-op sometime this week to get it. I am intrigued by your success with the banana conditioner though....

Go Red Wings!

Awwww poor thing! I hope you already feel better by now.

I posted a new thread in the Reader's Product Review section. If you need help with volume, TBS BC is really good. Despite my coarse hair, I have trouble having my curls lifting up from the root. I have to tease my roots a lot, which of course, induces frizz. I have less frizz with the condish, since I have to fluff less, and it's nicely moisturizing itself. I get shine and fat, clumpy curls with volume.
    Now I just need to play a bit with formulating a gel to maintain and hold those fat, clumpy, volumized curls. :)

I'm super curious if Alba Botanica will perform better. I'm really liking the ingredient list. I should just get it already!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Aww thanks :)
    I have to go to Body Shop for my face wash anyways so I'm totes picking up that banana conditioner! I'll still try to swing by the co-op for the Alba stuff. Even though my hair is medium-coarse I also have volume issues at the roots.

Go Red Wings!

You sound even more like my hair twin. :)

I'm trying right now to make a strong(er) hold gel with okra and flaxseed based on SCE CC. Tried okra yesterday and I really liked it!

Do report back on either of the conditioner (or any products at all, actually) once you've tried it. Super curious!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Ugh, sorry Frckls, I've been totally putting off going to get this conditioner but this weekend I PROMISE! I WILL buy it!

Tbh my ex works at the store that has it and I didn't want to look crappy when I go get it...

Go Red Wings!

LOL. No worry. That's a legit enough excuse. Just let me know what you think of it! And make sure you that ex takes a double take on you! ;)
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• hockeyruleshockeyrules Posts: 95Registered Users
    I want to be a hair twin/triplet with you guys!! I also have coarse hair/low normal porosity- aiming toward high since I just colored all over. . however, the hair stylist also told me I have the softest hair she has ever dealt with!! My husband would love it if I could figure out a way to get the curls to go the whole way to the root. I cant figure out how to put a picture here but my avatar shows it.

Don't know if there is a Body Shop around here, will have to go look.

I use okra gel with agave for hold and love it. Getting the best results!! also put a big banana clip in sideways to scrunch it while its wet.

Best results so far; 5 minute plopping; lean sideways dry only from the bottom with a diffuser for just 5 minutes--don't hit the top layer at all or frizz. then clip for 1/2 hour to get gel cast. take down and let air dry. if I dry after that I tend to get frizz-- if I put conditioner or anything else on it after it dries I get tons of frizz
    CG since the book came out!!

Products
    -Shampoo: - Edens co-wash
    Conditioner: Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks curl renew, CJ Argan oil, Mop Top daily conditioner
    Leave-in's: above
    DT: GVC
    Curl Cream: SMS
    Stylers: Curly Kinks Coil Jam, Mop Top
    I want to be a hair twin/triplet with you guys!! I also have coarse hair/low normal porosity- aiming toward high since I just colored all over. . however, the hair stylist also told me I have the softest hair she has ever dealt with!! My husband would love it if I could figure out a way to get the curls to go the whole way to the root. I cant figure out how to put a picture here but my avatar shows it.

Don't know if there is a Body Shop around here, will have to go look.

I use okra gel with agave for hold and love it. Getting the best results!! also put a big banana clip in sideways to scrunch it while its wet.

Best results so far; 5 minute plopping; lean sideways dry only from the bottom with a diffuser for just 5 minutes--don't hit the top layer at all or frizz. then clip for 1/2 hour to get gel cast. take down and let air dry. if I dry after that I tend to get frizz-- if I put conditioner or anything else on it after it dries I get tons of frizz

Welcome!! I'd loooove to have as many twinnies as I can. I thought my hair is so weird it's so alone! LOL.

My hair is not exactly soft, as in I wouldn't get such comment often from other people. But, I've always thought it's around medium because it feels somewhat soft and babyish. Your avatar is too small, though, I could hardly tell how your hair looks.

I'm curious with agave! I've got a bottle but been always so scared to mix it in since it's so humid in where I live. Relative humidity is 65-90% all year round. I'd hate to have sticky hair.

My hair also frizzes quite easy, but I'm learning how to live with it LOL. I'm real lazy sleeping with satin pillow or headwrap, so frizz is a usual thing. I started laying down silk scarf on my bed (I don't sleep with pillow) and it does seem like it's helping. But, even with my prior laziness, I could get 3-days hair with okra gel, plain with xanthan gum only!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• hockeyruleshockeyrules Posts: 95Registered Users
    I just started using it this summer, only 1 tsp in 1 cup okra. gives me great all day hold.

I wonder if you could tell me what you do for second/third day hair. If I put ANYTHING in mine it gets frizzy, unless I make it soo wet I might as well just re-wash.

CG since the book came out!!

Products
    -Shampoo: - Edens co-wash
    Conditioner: Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks curl renew, CJ Argan oil, Mop Top daily conditioner
    Leave-in's: above
    DT: GVC
    Curl Cream: SMS
    Stylers: Curly Kinks Coil Jam, Mop Top
    I only made a small batch because I still had a large batch of frozen FSG, but I mixed, what I thought, way too many xanthan gum (1/4tsp for 1 oz. okra gel) and expected to see flakes and whatnot, but I didn't.

With the okra gel, which lasted 3 uses, I only need to dampen my hair. Sometimes emulsify a bit of gel or a drop of oil in a wet hand and smooth over and fix a curl and some frizz.

With the Garnier gel, I'm still figuring out how to revive my curls correctly. It holds up a tad better than okra gel, but harder to revive with my methods above. The first try, I had to dampen my hair to the point it was quite wet and apply more gel which made my hair a bit sticky and my curls to look different. I'm now layering it over my FSG and although it still looks great, it killed my volume, so I will have to figure out another way. Probably flushing the rest of the FSG and concoct more OG. I'm hoping it will have better hold once I can get hold of acacia fiber (gum arabic).
    (by GoosefootPrints)

I finally got around trying this conditioner this morning!

This really is a quality product. I bit the bullet and used it, not only as RO/LI, but also CO. It has great slip and is really moisturizing and my hair is really shiny and soft, yet lightweight.

I used PM Scultping Foam as my styler today and the conditioner helped the foam to clump my curls evenly. There's no part more spirally than others, so it defines my curls a bit on the looser side possible. And best part is, I've got barely any frizz!

I didn't get any root lift, but I didn't clip my roots this morning, I went out with wet hair, but it's still pretty volumizing, although barely as much if I used Inecto as CO. As CO, it cleans nicely, although not really that squeaky. I might have to clarify a bit more often if I keep using it as CO, but it really is not much.

It's nice to have options of great RO/LI. It's not that pricey and iHerb ships it for a cheap fee, although the product itself is cheaper on VitaCost.

I shall try it next with other stylers and alone, then compare it with TIGI.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Awesome, glad you liked it! I have been to three different stores looking for it and I can't find it anywhere. Guess I will have to buy it from iHerb.

Go Red Wings!

Aw it sucks to be in the US and not finding it on ground. Good thing iHerb has great shipping options!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file