At Home Chemical Peels?

slinky1slinky1 BannedPosts: 1,612Banned Users
So I have this mild furrowing in between my eyebrows, and a few vertical lines on my upper nose area...I was wondering if there is an at home chemical peel that I can buy that would take care of this. It is just a small spot in the middle of my face, but it really, really, really bugs me.

Do you know of a good one? Will I see results after one use? I'm only 31, so...things could be worse.
;)

Comments

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    slinky1 wrote: »
    So I have this mild furrowing in between my eyebrows, and a few vertical lines on my upper nose area...I was wondering if there is an at home chemical peel that I can buy that would take care of this. It is just a small spot in the middle of my face, but it really, really, really bugs me.

Do you know of a good one? Will I see results after one use? I'm only 31, so...things could be worse.

I've used at home and had professional peels. The results are temporary. The only thing that will really work is botox and fillers and even those are temporary. BTW, I don't use either Botox or fillers, I would if they lasted a couple of years, but I'm not spending the money to go back every few months. Plus, some women I see on TV look ridiculous. I watch the HGTV shows Selling New York and Selling LA. The NY women look so much more wrinkled but they look normal whereas the LA women are botxed and pulled so tight they look weird.

DISCLAIMER: Not every woman in LA.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    these are the best at home peels in my opinion. look at the real life before and after pics and decide for yourself. i use the lactic acid peel for my acne/acne scars and i recently bought the fade peel and like it too.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    luvmylocs,what do you use for your neutralizing step after the peel?

ETA: nevermind, found it!
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Acid peels only help the very finest of lines. A line in the middle of your eyebrows that is large enough to bother you is not a very fine line. Think of peels as a skin refiner, not a wrinkle eradicator.

Botox and/or fillers are the answers to the eyebrow-line.

Acids should be approached with extreme caution. I've burned myself enough times that I no longer work with acids at all. They're just not worth the risk to me for the very small results they provide.
  • CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree you'll probably need to do botox or fillers to address deep lines. My guess is that botox will help the most with your brow furrow. I have friends who have gone this route and if you don't carried away, the results can be really natural looking. My understanding is that it lasts a few months and when you've had a couple of injections the results start to last longer.

As for acids, like luvmylocs I'm using MUAC's 40% Lactic Acid peel but not for lines/wrinkles. I'm using it to get rid of age spots. RCW is right that you have to be really cautious and take it slow or you risk burning yourself. I'm very careful and have built up very gradually to using it for more minutes each time. I tried MUAC's lightening cream but I didn't find it effective at all. I started using Walgreen's Alpha Hydroxy cream each morning and a 30SPF sunscreen everyday. You have to be scrupulous about using a high spf sunscreen when you use these products. I'm getting a good result, not miraculous but good enough to keep it up - It's taking patience and a lot more time than a one-session TCA peel but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and I haven't had to take time off from work or show up looking like a peeling onion. Can't stress enough that you have to be patient and take it slow or you're apt to make a mistake and burn the crap out of your skin. As I said, I'm really happy with the results when it comes to fading age spots.
    Good luck!
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    I meant horizontal lines on my nose, and they are very fine (no one would notice unless they were really looking hard at that area). The furrows are fairly fine as well. The one on my right probably wouldn't totally go away, but if it was lessened, that would be great.

I got these from continuously falling asleep with the lights on, and squinting my eyes to keep it from bothering me. Don't ask; it's all part of my depression.
    ;)
    I meant horizontal lines on my nose, and they are very fine (no one would notice unless they were really looking hard at that area). The furrows are fairly fine as well. The one on my right probably wouldn't totally go away, but if it was lessened, that would be great.

I got these from continuously falling asleep with the lights on, and squinting my eyes to keep it from bothering me. Don't ask; it's all part of my depression.

I still don't think acid peels would help those.

If you want to naturally reduce your forehead wrinkles, you could just tape them while you sleep. You've heard of Frownies? They help immobilize the forehead while sleeping, with the idea that if you aren't frowing during your sleep hours, that's at least 1/3 of your life that you aren't adding to your wrinkles. Frownies really do help, but they can get expensive over time and they're a PITA to buy online because they are hard to find in B&M stores. I get equally good results from plain old medical tape. Double layered...two little pieces slapped in the middle of my forehead each night before I go to sleep. I prefer 3M Transpore brand. $2.50 in any grocery or drug store.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find it hard to believe squinting from lamp light for a few seconds would cause noticeable lines, unless it is a really bright lamp. Achem peel sounds like a drastic measure for a few barely visible lines. Ive never seen an at-home peel that turned out well. Try retin-a instead or ask your derm for a rec.. Then put your light on a timer so it turns off after a few minutes and you dont have to squint when you wake up.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try frownies or just low-tack medical tape between your brows at night. I have the same issue ( frowning at night, sleeping on my side too much) and if I do this regularly, there is lots of improvement with those vertical lines.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm deleting my posts on the non hair section (that don't involve nail polish) because of NC.com's policy on quoting us on other parts of their site..
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Spider wrote: »
    Try frownies or just low-tack medical tape between your brows at night. I have the same issue ( frowning at night, sleeping on my side too much) and if I do this regularly, there is lots of improvement with those vertical lines.

Are you saying literally between your eyebrows so it's on your nose and vertical? That is the only way I can think of what you are saying.
    ShrekLover wrote: »

Are you saying literally between your eyebrows so it's on your nose and vertical? That is the only way I can think of what you are saying.

You just stick it wherever you have lines. Not everyone has them in the same place. I think this only helps on forehead/between-the-eyes wrinkles though. I've tried taping other areas of my face, and it doesn't do much other than make me very uncomfortable.
    Thanks RCW. I think I'll give it a try.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    for me when i use the peels i linked to above. i prep the skin. smooth on a thin layer of the peel with my fingers staying clear of my eyes and then almost immediately rinse it off. it sounds strange and like it wouldn't be effective but it really works for me! before when i left it on for 2-3 minutes i would burn around my nose or mouth area where the skin is more sensitive. it's also important to have a good moisturizer if you use peels. you might want to look on youtube too. there are alots of people sharing their experiences and before and afters. i'm getting more serious about my skin care (again) and i know the peels have definitely helped my dark marks. i do feel like it plumps my skin too.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    these are the best at home peels in my opinion. look at the real life before and after pics and decide for yourself. i use the lactic acid peel for my acne/acne scars and i recently bought the fade peel and like it too.

I've got their mandelic/salicylic acid peel and my acne is definitely showing improvement with it. Once I'm done with it I plan on changing to a 20% salicylic acid peel for hopefully even better results.

Sorry... I don't have any information on peels for lines, but just wanted to pipe up that I also like MUAC's peels.
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    I still don't get where to put the tape...I'll have to think about it more later when I have time.
    ;)
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ShrekLover wrote: »

Frownies are triangle shaped and go between brows; if I use tape, I put about a 1"strip vertically over where the crease forms. This keeps the skin from pulling together and deepening that crease.

Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    I still don't get where to put the tape...I'll have to think about it more later when I have time.

The idea is to immobilize skin that you feel is becoming a wrinkle so that you aren't unconsciously wrinkling that area while you sleep. Just slap some tape on it. It's really not rocket science.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Exfoliating and building collagen is what it's about. I take antioxidant supplements also. Dr Leslie Baumann says taking glucosamine and chondroitin benefits the skin by producing collagen.
    Sounds dumb but I'm very cautious of the tension in my face. I massage my brow/forehead multiple times a day to relieve tension.
    Things I do for my skin.
    BHA 2% daily
    Renova .05% daily
    mandelic acid 25% I'm new to peels and this was the suggested starting point. Weekly
    Antioxidant serum daily
    At home microdermabrasion machine- not a scrub- weekly
    Clarisonic
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Exfoliating and building collagen is what it's about. I take antioxidant supplements also. Dr Leslie Baumann says taking glucosamine and chondroitin benefits the skin by producing collagen.
    Sounds dumb but I'm very cautious of the tension in my face. I massage my brow/forehead multiple times a day to relieve tension.
    Things I do for my skin.
    BHA 2% daily
    Renova .05% daily
    mandelic acid 25% I'm new to peels and this was the suggested starting point. Weekly
    Antioxidant serum daily
    Clarisonic

^^ massage is a wonderful natural approach to countering wrinkles, especially when done regularly and with a good oil like jojoba or grapeseed.

every morning, i use jojoba oil to cleanse and moisturize my face and neck, and i use facial massage to apply it.

at the end of the day, i take a half-acv/half water solution and wipe away the day's dirt/sweat from my face and neck and let it dry.

at night, i lightly massage grapeseed oil around my eyes, but leave the rest of my face/neck to breathe with nothing on it.

once a month, i do a green clay mask.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    Oils give me pimples. All oils.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users

Diagrams for Frownies. Use medical tape instead and save $$

Frownies | How to Apply Frownies
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rainshower wrote: »
    Things I do for my skin.
    BHA 2% daily
    Renova .05% daily
    Antioxidant serum daily
    Clarisonic

^^ massage is a wonderful natural approach to countering wrinkles, especially when done regularly and with a good oil like jojoba or grapeseed.

every morning, i use jojoba oil to cleanse and moisturize my face and neck, and i use facial massage to apply it.

at the end of the day, i take a half-acv/half water solution and wipe away the day's dirt/sweat from my face and neck and let it dry.

at night, i lightly massage grapeseed oil around my eyes, but leave the rest of my face/neck to breathe with nothing on it.

once a month, i do a green clay mask.

I also use Jojoba oil (mixed with a little SPF) as my daily moisturizer. Last year, my face broke out in all these tiny bumps and my PCP told me to try Cetaphil. After using that for awhile, dry crusty patches developed around my nose and chin and the bumps got worse. I threw that crap away. I have had oily skin my whole life (never had acne problems though), but since I've been using the jojoba oil, the patches have gotten smaller and the bumps disappeared altogether.

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file