Vain question...

lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
How do I wear my hair with my graduation cap, without looking like this:

0421002316.jpg

I have just-below-shoulder length thin 3a-b curls.

The part around my face is what I'm most concerned about. It just looks so... bad, with the cap on.

I have a couple of weeks to figure it out. I don't want to look like a doofus, I am getting my doctoral degree after all, and this is most definitely my last and final graduation. Anyone with suggestions, pictures, anything??
Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls

Comments

• favoritecolorblufavoritecolorblu Posts: 287Registered Users
    If you have 3a/3b curls your hair won't look like his, and you could do a side part instead of a center or no part.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ponytail
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried pinning the sides back with pins?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• thatwhimsygirlthatwhimsygirl Posts: 19Registered Users
    Will you be wearing that kind of hat or one of those poofy phd hats?
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I'm really bad at stuff like this... pull it all back and secure a low ponytail? pull half back ? make side part and bobby pin some back?
    Just have to play with it.

Congrats on the doctorate!
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    No real suggestions but the fact that you posted that pic made me lol.
    If it were me I'd pin it into a low side messy bun, but you have to be he kind of person who is into that kind of style or else you'll feel weird about it I did it for a wedding this summer and got a lot of compliments.

Posted from my "smart"phone. 'Scuse crazy typos
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    ponytail
    Yep.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I remember having this thought for my college pics, but they ended up beautiful! Maybe I can find one.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    GradPic.jpg
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    ponytail
    Yep.

I would stay away from a ponytail... It'll look too flat and I don't know if youd get it to sit right. I feel like you'd regret doing a ponytail.

"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Straighten it?

For my graduation I had super short hair. And the graduation ceremony was long and sweaty. I wound up with my hair plastered to my head. Not pretty.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Narnia wrote: »
    No real suggestions but the fact that you posted that pic made me lol.
    If it were me I'd pin it into a low side messy bun, but you have to be he kind of person who is into that kind of style or else you'll feel weird about it I did it for a wedding this summer and got a lot of compliments.

This is what I was thinking.

Hopefully I'll have the same question in a couple months!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    i remeber when i graduated. i had above the shoulder length hair. i had some frizz ezz in it. it started off great, loved it. but as the night progress my curls fuzzed up. you can tell by the pictures. i should had straightened it. Instead the new orleans humidity put a voo doo hex on my curls, and made me look like a mad scientist. Wait! Thats what I became!! HEEHEEHEE!

depending on the weather, i would either straighten it or put product in it.

congrats!!
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    For my grad last year, I took the front sides, twisted it and pinned it to the back of my hair. No hair problems :)
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally as long as the curls aren't too poofy, I think you'll look fine. Munchy's picture confirmed my thoughts.
    Cheetara wrote: »
    Straighten it?

For my graduation I had super short hair. And the graduation ceremony was long and sweaty. I wound up with my hair plastered to my head. Not pretty.

But, if you really don't want to go curl, this was going to be my backup suggestion.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I have to post a pic of mine. I pinned the sides and top down, but it was still fairly poofy - a lot like the first pic the OP posted. I guess I don't see why that's so bad? I don't think thin 3a/b hair would do that, anyway.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    For my masters, I actually didn't want to wear my hat for fear of messing up my curls...lol

Congrats!znaika.gif
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I actually asked the same question here a few years ago when I graduated from college! What's your hair texture? I'm 3b/2b, and for my graduation I just skipped the things I do to give my hair volume: no scrunching, no plopping, and no fluffing when it's dry.

Also if you're wearing a mortarboard, make sure to wear it properly. For some reason a lot of people wear it perched on the back of their heads, just like the photo you posted in the OP. But Munchy's photo shows how to wear it the right way: It should be pulled down securely so the board is about parallel with the floor, and the soft part forms sort of a widow's peak close to your eyebrows.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A loose, low bun or french roll would be pretty, with a few curly tendrils left out.

Or, you could roll/twist the sides and make a low roll/bun:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmPiQEK_ldaDJ_Ro9z_LoPXh44jgHuUku4yJKiMuTeUvESJn2LzA
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LOL I had second day hair for my college graduation, I didn't want to deal with it as I was tired and lazy from my art exhibition the night before. Also, the ceremony was outside, and it was really hot so I took off my cap (and gown) until it was time for me to go up.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file