Hair not curling and stringy one one side of head

laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So for the past few weeks I've been having trouble with one side of my head. The hair, especially the under layers, are stringy and don't curl at all.

It really makes me mad because the other side curls perfectly!

I'm wondering if I need a protein/deep treatment or something...

I currently rotate Darcy's Pumpkin Condish and Tigi Oatmeal & Honey, shampoo with Jessicurl Gentle Cleansing Wash, and style with SS CEJ, KCCC, and HE Set Me Up.

My hair is fine and LOVESSSS protein. It also really loves to clump which is why this issue perplexes me.

Any ideas as to what is the matter and/or what I can do? I have also done my hair in different humidities...a dryer climate and a humid climate...and still the same issue.

Comments

• monniejmonniej Posts: 25Registered Users
    when i had areas of my hair that didn't want to curl i used a straw set and a creamy moisturizer on dry hair to encourage it to join the group. it may take several times, but eventually the section started to curl on its own.
  • TraceWallTraceWall Posts: 22Registered Users
    Weird. So, have you recently started using new products? My hair (a 2b) always stretches - and hence goals nearly flat - when I try new products for a couple of days (and when I use old products for too long!)

My hair is SUPER fine too, so maybe that is what is causing it, a new product or too much of an older one?

For me, the Deva Shampoo and One Conditioner work SUPER well. Seriously, I don't think I could ever go back from them - and working at NaturallyCurly and testing products has me moving away every so often, but nothing curls my hair like those do! Esp. when I use them correctly in the shower (yea, they kind of have their own method - if you want to know what it is, just let me know, I can explain, it is super easy).

Anyway, if none of that applies, then I would say deep condition, deep condition, deep condition! Depending on where you live, the change in weather may be severely drying out your curls - so, heck give it a try.

Side note: any recent changes in your exercise habits, eating habits, etc? This kind of stuff affects your hair texture. Might be something to think about.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Since you said your hair loves protein and is seeming stringy, I would say go ahead and try the protein treatment! :) IAgirl has an awesome gelatin PT recipe posted on the 2's boards (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html). I know that for me personally, the hairs in my underlayers are a lot finer, and if any hair gets stringy, it's usually them. :) So, PT might help, or maybe you need something like an ACV rinse to clarify slightly. Lots of people use them any time their hair gets a little funky -- it's super easy, and it leaves the hair nice and clean and soft and bouncy. Also, the stuff you use sounds kinda on the heavier side -- if your hair loves protein, I'm assuming it's fine-textured, so maybe you need to at least switch out with some lighter stuff? Just throwing that out there. :)

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you Wavynwild! So helpful. I have a question though. You say some of what I'm using is heavy...which products? And do you have any recommendations for products to use instead? (Glycerin free preferred since I dye my hair fire engine red religiously)
    You're welcome! ;)

Well, what I meant was that some of your ROs, like the Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed condish, the Jessicurl (I think this has lots of oils), and the KCCC all seem like they have more "weight" to them and are a bit heavier. Now, I've never used these products -- I'm just going off of what I've heard around here. ;) So if they are and have been working for you, by all means, keep using them! :) I was just thinking "out loud," ha ha. If the PT doesn't work, though, I might try a light drugstore gel or something along those lines to see if that's the problem (like an Herbal Essence or Aussie gel or LA Looks or something like that). ;) I hope that makes sense! :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmm..the Jessicurl I use isn't an RO though..it's a shampoo. And I use the Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel to top off KCCC.

I think my hair would still be clumpy if it was weighed down. Just not curly. Definitely going to do a PT, though. Fingers crossed it works!
    Yup, I meant the Jessicurl shampoo! :) Sorry I confused you. And now I totally get what you're saying, and your products don't sound all too heavy! ;)

Good luck with the PT! Let us know what you used and how it went and all that good stuff! :D

Favorite...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file