CurlTalk

Porosity and shrinkage

KirubelleKirubelle Posts: 37Registered Users
Is shrinkage related to porosity? My four sisters are all natural and they seem to be amazed by how much shrinkage I have. I can only wear my hair in stretched styles because if I let it dry naturally, it becomes super dry. I think I have high porosity hair. Would sealing help my hair or make it worse?

Comments

• soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
    Kirubelle wrote: »
    Is shrinkage related to porosity? My four sisters are all natural and they seem to be amazed by how much shrinkage I have. I can only wear my hair in stretched styles because if I let it dry naturally, it becomes super dry. I think I have high porosity hair. Would sealing help my hair or make it worse?

Hmmm. Interesting question. I have high porosity hair and quite a bit of shrinkage at about 80-90%. It has never bothered me so I can't really relate to that problem area.

But are you looking to sealing for elongation or to retain moisture? For moisture you can add oil or butter after or before a leave in and have soft hair that retains moisture. Maybe someone else can help with the curl elongation.
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    I think it relates to porosity AND curl pattern. I have low porosity but very tight curls, so I have a lot of shrinkage. Sealing should help you. :)
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8: