Clean roots get greasy in the shower!

I have a problem and three questions.
I need to, at least, rinse my hair every other day, because it is long and gets tangled easily (birds nest at nape). I use products like oil/gel etc. so it's also getting a bit messy when I don't rinse or condition the stuff out of my hair every other day.

Problem: After two days my roots and hairs at the roots are not in need of a washing yet. They look just fine. But after I've showered my roots are greasy(when dry again). Just like how hair gets greasy by rainwater.
I tried to low-poo, co-wash or just rinse-out with water.
So, in a way I regret having to step in the shower and getting my hair completely wet, because if I don't I could never get a comb through.

Q 1: Could there be something in the water that's making my hair react this way? (making it greasy while it was okay before)

Q 2: What can I do about this?

Q 3: Or could it be possible to wait one more day before wetting my entire head and hair again, without all the tangles (and birds looking for a place to stay)?

TIA
2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
Routine:
Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl

Comments

• TraceWallTraceWall Posts: 22Registered Users
    Hey Rapunzel,

So, first of all - I would say try using a water soluble shampoo, conditioner and products, using that to co-wash. You have the same hair type as me, and what works AMAZING for me, at least, is the Deva line. Their one condition conditioner is awesome and great for cowashing. What is great about their whole line, though, is that it is all water soluble meaning that you don't need to shampoo when you step in the shower. The water and the co-washing will cleanse your hair of all the product that is greasy or may be weighing your hair down.

So first and foremost - I would switch to products like that. By using water soluble products, though, you will need to steer clear of cones - which can actually be good for our hair type - adding shine and what not. But, I promise, once you find the right brand of silicone-free products, you won't look back!

Second - to avoid the tangles of second day (or more) hair, pineapple your hair and be sure that you are sleeping on a satin pillow case (cotton pulls on the hair) or with a satin bonnet. Those links should help you get to where you want to go.

Hope this helps!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    So, basically you are saying that your hair is greasy after you re-wet it and wash it, but after a few days, the grease goes away or disappears, and this is why you want to avoid re-wetting it? It's funny that you mention this, because I used to have the SAME exact problem in the first months of CG, and it was annoying me to no end. I was using VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze as my CO-wash, and that conditioner just didn't react well with my hair. It left me all greasy at the roots on the first day, and then the longer I went without washing or wetting in any way, the better and less greasy my hair felt. I honestly think it was something in the conditioner that didn't react well with my hair, or my hair was just being picky and didn't like it for some reason. The one thing I would suggest is switching up your products. Maybe do a light sulfate wash and switch up your products -- if you CO-wash, switch up the brand of conditioner you use. If you low poo, switch to a different low poo. If you are CO-washing a lot, you might want to try low pooing a little more. I am pretty sure this is the only thing that helped me, but this happened a long time ago, so I hope I'm remembering correctly. So if you eliminate the original problem (greasy hair once you re-wet in any way), you will probably be able to wet your hair any time you want without all the trouble! :) HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    TraceWall and Wavynwild16, thanks for your suggestions!
    I am using silicone free products for four years now, since I started to let my hair grow longer. Co-washing is not what my roots liked so far, but when I mix co. with honey and AVG and use that it works great. So I'll follow your advises and go looking for a different conditioner to co-wash with. I am not sure where I can buy Deva here in the Netherlands, but I'll certainly look at the ingredients and try to find something similar.
    And when I need to rinse my hair in between washes I am going to do a last rinse with soft water. We have a lot of calcium in the tap water, so maybe the greasy roots is because of that? I'll let you know if that works out.

I will also try to find a good 2nd/3rd day refresher spray with detangling qualities. Do you know any, perhaps?

Sent from my HTC Legend using CurlTalk App
    Routine:
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    for the refresher spray you could make somthing up with aloe vera and rosewater, shake it up and just spray on your curls, or add a bit of marshmallow root, (i was able to get great marshmallow root in germany, so you should be able to get it there as well) the Marshmallow root is great for slip and helps with de tangling. i also use alot of oils to refresh my curls. :)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    Fmasuhr wrote: »
    for the refresher spray you could make somthing up with aloe vera and rosewater, shake it up and just spray on your curls, or add a bit of marshmallow root, (i was able to get great marshmallow root in germany, so you should be able to get it there as well) the Marshmallow root is great for slip and helps with de tangling. i also use alot of oils to refresh my curls. :)
    I looked it up, because I didn't know what marshmallow root is called here. It's Althea Officinalis, ha, I've got that in my herbal stash.. so that'll be no problem :-)
    How do you use the marshmallow root in this mixture? Do you simmer it in water?
    And the oils you use, are they essential oils and do you mix it in a spray?

Sent from my HTC Legend using CurlTalk App
    Routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list