At Home Coloring- UPDATED WITH PICS!

SegBSegB Registered Users Posts: 692
For those of you who color your hair at home, what brands have you found to be the best? The worst? Thanks!
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils

Comments

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
    I love Garnier Fructis Herbashine. Great color, no damage! Hated L'Oreal Feria, very weak color & faded quickly
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • SegBSegB Registered Users Posts: 692
    I love Garnier Fructis Herbashine. Great color, no damage! Hated L'Oreal Feria, very weak color & faded quickly

Hi Steph! Oddly enough, my name is Steph too!

Thanks for the reply. Was looking at the Garnier Nutrisse (someone recommended that to me)...My hair is a medium brown that gets brassy and I have always gone to the hair salon to deepen the brown and maybe add a little red to it...But it is just becoming so expensive, I would like to find success doing it at home.

So you like the Herbashine? What shade do you use for your hair? Any hints on using it? And any other feedback for different brands? I will stay away from the Feria!
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

• BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    Hi Steph! I'm doing this on my phone, lol! I have been using ion color brilliance demi perm. from sally's for about about a year and I really like it. Nice shine and no damage at all. You have to mix it yourself but it's super easy (and cheap). The con is that it will never lighten, but its great for grays and enhancing color. I'll pm you more details later!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
    BLB wrote: »
    Hi Steph! I'm doing this on my phone, lol! I have been using ion color brilliance demi perm. from sally's for about about a year and I really like it. Nice shine and no damage at all. You have to mix it yourself but it's super easy (and cheap). The con is that it will never lighten, but its great for grays and enhancing color. I'll pm you more details later!

Brittany! I will be responding to your other PM soon, I promise!

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely do some research on this. I only want to go deeper/darker, so that would be perfect! How often do you color again?

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    I liked the L'Oreal one that can be found at Sallys. You have to do the mixing yourself I believe. It has been a couple years since I have used it. I do know that it lasted a long time on my hair and I didn't have any ill effects.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • caramix3acaramix3a Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
    Since I have quite a bit of grey in my hair, I need to use permanent color. I used to use L'Oreal Preference or their Excellence, but both are drying due to the ammonia, etc. in them. Anyhow, on the recommendation of a good friend who has colored her hair a LOT over the decades, I switched over to Revlon Colorsilk. It's ammonia-free but permanent and easier on the hair, a good thing for curlies that need more than semi-permanent color. So good, and so cheap, even with using 2 boxes of product the way I need to with my thick hair! Really under-rated, under-marketed hair coloring product IMO. Anyhow, my experience with this is that the color fades more slowly than the other products I was using, crucial when one is using any red mixture the way I do(I use 3 colors to get my mix, including a brown shade what with all that grey). Also leaves my hair in better condition(along with all the other care I give my hair with my modified CG routine that is). Even my hair cutter remarked on it - he said ammonia-free was the way to go with my hair. And he's someone who would totally tell you if you were on the wrong track with products or color LOL!
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
    Hmm, herbashine can go on a little dark, especially over top of other dye, so go a good bit lighter than what you would expect :)
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte

This is the one I use too and like it for the same reasons. Another plus is that I alternate between dying my roots and dying my whole head. This way I can just mix up what I need. You can also custom mix colors to tweak a color. Add more red, mix a level 5 and a level 6 to get a level 6.5, etc.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Registered Users Posts: 755
    +1 for Colorsilk!!!!!!!!! I absolutely LOVE it, and agree 100% w/ everything Caramix said. My stylist can't even get over how good my color is, she is always amazed at the results I get. I use two boxes at a time, again, still such a great deal. I'd pay over $10 a box for this and not blink an eye, it's so crazy that it's usually under $4.

I color every 5 weeks or so, and consistently get great results. Definitely my HG hair color, for sure!!
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Time to start researching... :-)

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Add Color by Robert Craig to your research! :thumbright: I have used it for over 10 years and not even my stylist can tell I color my hair (except for the gray roots if I need a touchup).

There are tons of posts about it on the Color forum. Search for Robert Craig and RC Color. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • monniejmonniej Registered Users Posts: 25
    love, love, love my clairol natural instincts.
    Thanks everyone!

As of now, I am *thinking* of going with the Garnier Herbashine (either Dark Burgandy or Soft Mahogany Dark Brown). Heard some other positive reviews for this. Also, it is meant to last for 28 shampoos so it is not permanent, which makes me feel better, since this is the first time I have colored at home! If I do it this weekend I will try to post pics!

Thanks again for the recommendations!

SegB wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

As of now, I am *thinking* of going with the Garnier Herbashine (either Dark Burgandy or Soft Mahogany Dark Brown). Heard some other positive reviews for this. Also, it is meant to last for 28 shampoos so it is not permanent, which makes me feel better, since this is the first time I have colored at home! If I do it this weekend I will try to post pics!

Thanks again for the recommendations!
    Don't be surprised if it does not fade after 28 shampoos. With curly hair, most haircolors grab on and don't fade as fast. Also, they get darker, so be sure to choose a shade lighter than you think you need, and please do a strand test! :) Good luck and report back!
    Thank you for all of your feedback! Here are some pics...It did come out dark but I love it! Used the Garnier Herbashine in 426 (Dark Burgundy). It does have more of a red tint in the light.

?ui=2&ik=acbaeb3550&view=att&th=13418b3bba7d9885&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw

?ui=2&ik=acbaeb3550&view=att&th=13418b3bba7d9885&attid=0.2&disp=thd&zw

Delete.

Where are the pictures? I don't see anything. Please post pics! :)
    Thank you for letting me know! Let's try again- Please let me know if you can see them :-)

And with it blown out:

• favoritecolorblufavoritecolorblu Registered Users Posts: 287
    I dyed my hair, but I don't remember with what brand since it was back in January. It was a reddish color that actually colored my super dark hair. I want my color to grow out though...
    Hello Curlies- Can someone let me know if the pictures showed up this time? Having issues posting them...

I dyed my hair, but I don't remember with what brand since it was back in January. It was a reddish color that actually colored my super dark hair. I want my color to grow out though...

I really liked the Garnier Herbashine but it is semi permanent and says it lasts through 28 shampoos...But my hair never felt dry or straw-like and it did not alter the curl at all!

• sheilacurlsheilacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Curl Neophyte

I have switched from Revlon Colorsilk to Ion Color Brilliance Demi Perm from Sally's, I thought a demi color would be healthier on my hair than the Revlon because Revlon Colorsilk is called Permanent. It also says it's ammonia-free. Demi permanent color is also ammonia free, so which one is better for the hair between the 2?
    I used the Ion demi (5N) on my roots last week and got a partial highlight today, and she mentioned that it took so long to process. When I told her it was a demi, she was like, "Wow, what brand?" lol

Thanks in advance :confused1:
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Thank you for letting me know! Let's try again- Please let me know if you can see them :-)

Beautiful!!!!! I am so glad it worked out for you. Wow your curls are amazing too, you make it sound like it's so difficult for you to achieve ;)

2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil

Beautiful!!!!! I am so glad it worked out for you. Wow your curls are amazing too, you make it sound like it's so difficult for you to achieve ;)

Thanks BLB! These are the pics I tried to send you using the Queen Helene Creme...And LOL they are difficult to achieve! Got your email and will respond soon ;-)

I have switched from Revlon Colorsilk to Ion Color Brilliance Demi Perm from Sally's, I thought a demi color would be healthier on my hair than the Revlon because Revlon Colorsilk is called Permanent. It also says it's ammonia-free. Demi permanent color is also ammonia free, so which one is better for the hair between the 2?
    I used the Ion demi (5N) on my roots last week and got a partial highlight today, and she mentioned that it took so long to process. When I told her it was a demi, she was like, "Wow, what brand?" lol

Thanks in advance :confused1:

I had been led to believe by stylists that Demi was the least permanent you could achieve, hence the no lightening of color. However, I actually called Ion because I was confused on how to apply the semi permanent (no developer!), and the representive told me Demi (at least Ion's) is the next level down from having permanent. I was so surprised! I can tell you the Ion Demi will completely fade from the hair so you will not have a line of demarcation, this is why i chose it. And it's still less harsh than using permanent. Doing permanent hair color at home scares me a little because I don't know if I would be able to keep up with my roots enough to prevent that awful dye line. HTH!
    I had been led to believe by stylists that Demi was the least permanent you could achieve, hence the no lightening of color. However, I actually called Ion because I was confused on how to apply the semi permanent (no developer!), and the representive told me Demi (at least Ion's) is the next level down from having permanent. I was so surprised! I can tell you the Ion Demi will completely fade from the hair so you will not have a line of demarcation, this is why i chose it. And it's still less harsh than using permanent. Doing permanent hair color at home scares me a little because I don't know if I would be able to keep up with my roots enough to prevent that awful dye line. HTH!

Thanks for your reply! I'm still confused. If Revlon Colorsilk has no ammonia, how can it be considered permanent if Demi doesn't have ammonia either? It must make it up by having more peroxide, right?

I must leave my demi in for way too long or something, I have the line of demarcation using the Ion Demi. My hair is literally coming in white, and there's a dense patch of it in the front of course, where would be a better place to have a patch of white hair??? I'm 33 :goofy:

I was really scared when the stylist mentioned how long it was taking to process my highlights. Maybe I should go down to semi permanent hair color, I'll find out if that covers white hair :toothy10:
    Upper Michigan Dews

sheilacurl wrote: »

Thanks for your reply! I'm still confused. If Revlon Colorsilk has no ammonia, how can it be considered permanent if Demi doesn't have ammonia either? It must make it up by having more peroxide, right?

I must leave my demi in for way too long or something, I have the line of demarcation using the Ion Demi. My hair is literally coming in white, and there's a dense patch of it in the front of course, where would a be a better place have a patch of white hair??? I'm 33 :goofy:

I was really scared when the stylist mentioned how long it was taking to process my highlights. Maybe I should go down to semi permanent hair color, I'll find out if that covers white hair :toothy10:

I want to say that the Garnier Herbashine states it covers grey hair...

For those of you who color your hair at home, what brands have you found to be the best? The worst? Thanks!

I'm so grateful (why isn't it spelled greatful?) for your thread on coloring hair at home. It's amazing how much money you can save, but at the cost of a little trial and error and sometimes even wearing a baseball hat until you fix the last mistake. I have been touching up my roots for the last 2 years or so (?) and even buying home highlighting kits to lighten things up. Those can be super scary, btw…

I finally broke down and got a partial today, because of 2 different family get togethers for the holidays, I was afraid of looking like a science experiment. Just kidding, it's not that bad doing your own hair, I just wanted to look professional and expensive for the occasion. But the $111 bill made me want to try and get better at it. In fact, why don't I just go to school for it?

Sorry if I highjacked your thread
    Upper Michigan Dews

I want to say that the Garnier Herbashine states it covers grey hair...

Really? I'll have to give it a try. I don't care if it fades, I have to retouch every 3-4 weeks anyways.

The Ion Demi that I'm using isn't fading, at all. So there's a very noticeable root line.
    Upper Michigan Dews

sheilacurl wrote: »

I must leave my demi in for way too long or something, I have the line of demarcation using the Ion Demi. My hair is literally coming in white, and there's a dense patch of it in the front of course, where would be a better place to have a patch of white hair??? I'm 33 :goofy:

Oh man I don't know. Maybe a stylist will chime in! It takes me so long to understand color levels, developer, etc. I still don't get it. I am so surprised you get the line with Ion Demi though! That stinks. Maybe a semi perm is the way to go for you...grays are a concern for me too at 29 so you're not alone. At least white is chic :) It makes me think of Stacey London's streak.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file