CurlTalk

Best part about giving up relaxers

DeeinKCDeeinKC Posts: 43Registered Users
I have never enjoyed the process of getting a relaxer done. It smells funny and it leaves my hair feeling like straw until my first wash. I have several advantages for giving up relaxing; please share yours!

1. No more scabs/burns.
2. No more roughness around my hairline.
3. No more worrying about touch-ups!
4. No more expense. Okay, the stylists in my area (Kansas City) are CRAZY with their pricing for a touch up. Some charge upwards of $80! That's just crazy money!
5. No more dreading touch-up day.
6. No more worrying about the damage to my hairline/edges.
7. No more rejecting my natural texture!
Dee
Last relaxer: September 2011
Follow my progress on my transition blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturallycurlyjourney.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

Comments

• ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users
    I agree 100% I gave up relaxers and the hair along my hairline has length.
    There is no kitchen in the back because it grew.
    No scalp dryness
    No overprocessing
    The amount of money I spent on about 6 months supply of products is less than one trip to get a relaxer.
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • y0shiy0shi Posts: 55Registered Users
    Healthy hair :3 I've never really had any problems with relaxers, my mom is the only person that did it for me, and she was always very gentle. I just had the usual breakage /: And my hair didn't grow past my shoulders
    No more worrying about "getting your hair done" to look good
  • BlessedBmyRootsBlessedBmyRoots Posts: 51Registered Users
    No more freaking out when you see new growth and trying to hide it in public.

Sent from my dandy, all in one, handheld lifeline
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    -No more burning my hairline with a flat iron to "lay down" my new growth.
    -not fearing the rain like its the devil
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • CurlzitupCurlzitup Posts: 5Registered Users
    I can scratch all I want!!!
  • DeeinKCDeeinKC Posts: 43Registered Users
    Curlzitup wrote: »

LOL. Good one! :happy8:
    Dee
    Follow my progress on my transition blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturallycurlyjourney.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    Best part about not getting relaxers is not getting them anymore period lol. I like that fact that I don't waste money on going to the hair salon
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • applesandafrosapplesandafros Posts: 328Registered Users
    no more relaxer smell or not being able to scratch before a touch up. And no more worrying about my new growth showing.

my phone wears the pants in this relationship.
    Almost MBL Coils
    spongy, low porosity, dense awesomeness

Shampoo: Curly Kinks Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out/Detangler Conditioner: Aussie Moist, V05 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave in Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Styler: Eco Styler Krystal and Blue, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel and Flax seed gel
    Sealer: Grape seed oil
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Protein Treatment: Karishma and Jamilla Henna
    I thought of another one: No more worrying about trying to maintain straight hair on vacation and having limited styling options. Relaxed hair and the beach just don't like each other!
    Dee
    DeeinKC wrote: »
    I thought of another one: No more worrying about trying to maintain straight hair on vacation and having limited styling options. Relaxed hair and the beach just don't like each other!

YESSS this was my biggest problem lol especially living in miami lol
    y0shi wrote: »

LOL. I vacationed in South Florida in August and my hair was driving me nuts 'cause I was too afraid to get it wet for fear of messing it up. So I'm looking forward to the day when I can wash and go!
    Dee
  • tiama-xtiama-x Posts: 199Registered Users
    I'm probably pooping on the original purpose of this thread but how much did you ladies pay to relax your hair?

at some salons they charge $50 or $60 per half hour at the salon.. was at the salon for 6.5 hours.. so you would have paid almost $700AUD. How much is it where you are?
    "2 Something ATM"
    Coarse, Medium- Thick, Normal Porosity
    My Routine
    Low 'Poo: curash soothing oatmeal conditioning shampoo
    RO: tresemme naturals moisturising conditioner
    LI: tresemme naturals/kinky curly knot today
    Seal: mix of shea butter/coconut oil
    Goals
    waist length hair & finding a sexual cheapo leave in conditioner for both me and my daughter
    tiama-x wrote: »
    I'm probably pooping on the original purpose of this thread but how much did you ladies pay to relax your hair?

at some salons they charge $50 or $60 per half hour at the salon.. was at the salon for 6.5 hours.. so you would have paid almost $700AUD. How much is it where you are?

Well the stylists in my city charge about $75-$80 for a relaxer touch up. But I only paid under $10 for mine 'cause I refused to pay that much to a stylist so I would buy a home kit and have my mom do it. I found that I got very similar results doing it at home. So now I'm transitioning, I don't even have to consider paying someone!
    Dee
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users

That is outrageous. I spent no more than $65 for a relaxer alone in atlanta
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • happynappyhappyhappynappyhappy Posts: 122Registered Users
    Curlzitup wrote: »
    I second that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
    4a in the top of my head/3c in the back of my head
    Last relaxer July 1st ,2011 :happy2:
    Big chop September 30th ,2011 :angry5:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FNaturalafrochick%3Ffeature%3Dguide" class="Popup
    follow me on twitter @Naturalafrochic

showing off my twa for now!!

uawe6vf1c.png
    ziwjh0re4.png
    y0shi wrote: »

LOL. I vacationed in South Florida in August and my hair was driving me nuts 'cause I was too afraid to get it wet for fear of messing it up. So I'm looking forward to the day when I can wash and go!

lol i LIVE in miami! imagine that lol
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    The best part about being relaxer free is: NO MORE, brittle dry hair! No more frying my hair with the flat iron, not spending $65 or more on a touch, not having to get my hair done every wk or 2, no more burns/scabs, and YES being able to scratch the heck out of my scalp whenever I feel like it! But most importantly just knowing that I'm relaxer free is a reward in itself!

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • KeranKeran Posts: 17Registered Users

$200-250 per month in MN. The best part about giving up relaxers besides money is my time. I spent 2-3 hours every week going to the salon.
    Keran wrote: »

$200-250 per month in MN. The best part about giving up relaxers besides money is my time. I spent 2-3 hours every week going to the salon.

OMG! $200-$250 for a relaxer?! Dang.

I gave up spending hours in the salon years ago when I wasn't even thinking about being natural. I refuse to spend hours in a shop waiting for some stylist to get around to doing my hair. But I know a lot of relaxed ladies have that standing Saturday appt and I'd imagine it's very freeing to go natural and have your weekends back!
    Dee
    Luckily, my mom was a hair stylist and she always did my relaxers for me :) i've never had a problem with burning or scabbing or anything, thank God!
    The best part about being relaxer free is: NO MORE, brittle dry hair! No more frying my hair with the flat iron, not spending $65 or more on a touch, not having to get my hair done every wk or 2, no more burns/scabs, and YES being able to scratch the heck out of my scalp whenever I feel like it! But most importantly just knowing that I'm relaxer free is a reward in itself!

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FNaturalafrochick%3Ffeature%3Dguide" class="Popup

uawe6vf1c.png
    ziwjh0re4.png
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    All the reasons mentioned plus having people ask me where i get my hair done and me saying i do it myself and them left to wonder why they're shelling out so much money at salons and their hair is thin or breaking. Plus that chemical smell used to make me throw up when i was little but my mom told me women had to "suffer to be beautiful" so i learned to tolerate it. But not anymore cause i was in the bss recently and walked down one aisle and started to gag.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • induetimeinduetime Posts: 105Registered Users
    1) I don't have to worry about if it will take or not.

2) Now I can scratch my scalp, not pat it!

3) $80 relaxer vs. $45 wash and style.

4) A relaxer, for me, only really looks good for the first 3 weeks.

5) No more scabs around my hair line.

6) Now I can finally take swimming lesson! Lol!:laughing6:

My last relaxer was October 15, 2011
    I can finally going swimming and not have worry about my hair I can't wait till summer LOL so i can dive in

uawe6vf1c.png
    ziwjh0re4.png