CurlTalk

SM reconstructing elixir

sewt15sewt15 Posts: 115Registered Users
Has anyone tried it? Ive been thinking about using it for sealing


Comments

  • msdiva29msdiva29 Posts: 96Registered Users
    Yes, I have tried it! I would just use a little bit if you are sealing. It can become greasy!
    Favorites: Donna Maria SBC
    Curl Junkie BO&AC
    Shea Moisture CES
    Castor Oil
    Don't Forget to Dream! ~ Madonna
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheamaria.com" class="Popup
    Twitter: Elakia
  • sewt15sewt15 Posts: 115Registered Users
    msdiva29 wrote: »
    Yes, I have tried it! I would just use a little bit if you are sealing. It can become greasy!

    CaN u use it to oil your scalp?


  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    sewt15 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried it? Ive been thinking about using it for sealing


    I initially bought the SheaMoisture Elixir because the ingredients seemed pretty good especially with the argan oil so high on the list.

    Unfortunately, I have oily skin and am acne-prone; the Isopropyl Myristate in it may have caused my recent breakouts. It's a synthetic oil used as a thickening agent or a moisturizer in a variety of products.

    After using the elixir for several weeks I developed a few pimples along my forehead and jawline. My face had been clear for months prior to this!

    I finally did my research and discovered that this is a side effect for some people in that this ingredient can cause mild irritation, clogged pores and breakouts.

    To be honest, I really like the product, the weightless, non-greasy feel, the wonderful sheen, and all of the other ingredients but may have to stop using it because of the Isopropyl Myristate.

    So if you don't have sensitive skin or are acne-prone you may have better luck with the SM elixir than I did.

    I have a bottle that is 50% full I no longer use; I had it on the swap board last month for $5.00 shipping included however no one showed interest; if you're interested let me know.

    HTH and good luck!
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    CurvyCurly wrote: »
    sewt15 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried it? Ive been thinking about using it for sealing


    I initially bought the SheaMoisture Elixir because the ingredients seemed pretty good especially with the argan oil so high on the list.

    Unfortunately, I have oily skin and am acne-prone; the Isopropyl Myristate in it may have caused my recent breakouts. It's a synthetic oil used as a thickening agent or a moisturizer in a variety of products.

    After using the elixir for several weeks I developed a few pimples along my forehead and jawline. My face had been clear for months prior to this!

    I finally did my research and discovered that this is a side effect for some people in that this ingredient can cause mild irritation, clogged pores and breakouts.

    To be honest, I really like the product, the weightless, non-greasy feel, the wonderful sheen, and all of the other ingredients but may have to stop using it because of the Isopropyl Myristate.

    So if you don't have sensitive skin or are acne-prone you may have better luck with the SM elixir than I did.

    I have a bottle that is 50% full I no longer use; I had it on the swap board last month for $5.00 shipping included however no one showed interest; if you're interested let me know.

    HTH and good luck!

    Holy crap! I had no idea about Isopropyl Myristate. I didn't know it was synthetic and I didn't know it could cause breakouts (could explain the ones I had when I was using the elixir). I too am acne prone and have to be careful what oils I use on my hair. I thought the only one I had issues with is coconut...

    Thanks for the heads up.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • KirubelleKirubelle Posts: 37Registered Users
    I tried the product twice and it made my skin itch like mad, so i returned it. I never had that happen with a product and I do not have sensitive skin.
  • sewt15sewt15 Posts: 115Registered Users
    thank you all. @curlycurvy, I would love to swap with you but unfortunately i have no dinero, so im gonna have to take a pass. im planning on maybe trying it the first of the year. im at a standstill between oyin pomade and this. I would love the pomade to have the texture of a light grease but im afraid its gonna have the texture of murray's (so hard you have to fight to scoop it out of the jar, let alone spread it in your hands. i f'in hate it). So I dunno. Someone plz help me :sad7:


  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Dang it can make you break out??

    Eh I try to keep my hair out of my face at all costs but I loove this stuff. I used it on my scalp, my ends or wherever. I had to put it down cause I was going through that bottle! It keeps my hair nicely refreshed during the week.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    sewt15 wrote: »
    thank you all. @curlycurvy, I would love to swap with you but unfortunately i have no dinero, so im gonna have to take a pass. im planning on maybe trying it the first of the year. im at a standstill between oyin pomade and this. I would love the pomade to have the texture of a light grease but im afraid its gonna have the texture of murray's (so hard you have to fight to scoop it out of the jar, let alone spread it in your hands. i f'in hate it). So I dunno. Someone plz help me :sad7:


    swet15 - If you're still interested in trying the elixir at the beginning of the year just PM me and I'll send it to you for free.....no worries!
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    Dang it can make you break out??

    Eh I try to keep my hair out of my face at all costs but I loove this stuff. I used it on my scalp, my ends or wherever. I had to put it down cause I was going through that bottle! It keeps my hair nicely refreshed during the week.


    Empressi - I think if you haven't had a reaction to it yet you probably won't. My skin and scalp is soooo sensitive that I'm one of those folks who could not tolerate that one particular ingredient. That was really disappointing because I liked the product just couldn't deal with the breakouts....
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
  • sewt15sewt15 Posts: 115Registered Users
    CurvyCurly wrote: »
    sewt15 wrote: »
    thank you all. @curlycurvy, I would love to swap with you but unfortunately i have no dinero, so im gonna have to take a pass. im planning on maybe trying it the first of the year. im at a standstill between oyin pomade and this. I would love the pomade to have the texture of a light grease but im afraid its gonna have the texture of murray's (so hard you have to fight to scoop it out of the jar, let alone spread it in your hands. i f'in hate it). So I dunno. Someone plz help me :sad7:


    swet15 - If you're still interested in trying the elixir at the beginning of the year just PM me and I'll send it to you for free.....no worries!

    thanx curvycurly. I will definitely let you know:)


  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    CurvyCurly wrote: »
    sewt15 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried it? Ive been thinking about using it for sealing


    I initially bought the SheaMoisture Elixir because the ingredients seemed pretty good especially with the argan oil so high on the list.

    Unfortunately, I have oily skin and am acne-prone; the Isopropyl Myristate in it may have caused my recent breakouts. It's a synthetic oil used as a thickening agent or a moisturizer in a variety of products.

    After using the elixir for several weeks I developed a few pimples along my forehead and jawline. My face had been clear for months prior to this!

    I finally did my research and discovered that this is a side effect for some people in that this ingredient can cause mild irritation, clogged pores and breakouts.

    To be honest, I really like the product, the weightless, non-greasy feel, the wonderful sheen, and all of the other ingredients but may have to stop using it because of the Isopropyl Myristate.

    So if you don't have sensitive skin or are acne-prone you may have better luck with the SM elixir than I did.

    I have a bottle that is 50% full I no longer use; I had it on the swap board last month for $5.00 shipping included however no one showed interest; if you're interested let me know.

    HTH and good luck!

    Holy crap! I had no idea about Isopropyl Myristate. I didn't know it was synthetic and I didn't know it could cause breakouts (could explain the ones I had when I was using the elixir). I too am acne prone and have to be careful what oils I use on my hair. I thought the only one I had issues with is coconut...

    Thanks for the heads up.


    +1000 on the coconut oil! Breakout city!:thumbdown:
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
  • msaviemsavie Posts: 66Registered Users
    I don't like the heaviness of it, neither do I like the smell so I use it as part of my deep conditioning process by adding it to my Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask. I never had a problem with breakouts but that could be because it gets rinsed out of my hair so quickly.
    Last Relaxer - 4/8/11 BC - 1/5/12
    Poos /Condit -
    Shea Moisture (SM) Moisture Retention, Tresemme Naturals, Terressentials
    DC - SM Deep Treatment Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB

    Leave ins - KCKT, Giovanni DLI
    Oils - Castor, Argan, Grapeseed, Shea Butter, Jojoba,
    Rosemary
    Moisturizers - SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, SM Moisture Mist

    My Natural Hair Journey
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I have it but dont like it. I find it too greasy on my hair. Im slowly trying to get rid of it by adding it to dcs. I hardly ever oil my scalp because it gives me dandruff. Too much oil on my face also gives me pimples. I have to use oil free makeup.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav: