My own little Chicken Soup for the Soul story...

CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
So, four years ago, I lost a job (I tend to do that a lot...) and the office was very shady about it and I felt completely humiliated and ended-up a crying wreck in the elevator after I was fired.

This lady I had never said anything to besides, "Good morning" was in the elevator with me and she brought me into her office, calmed me down, showed me AMAZING kindness and made me call her when I got home so she would know I was okay.

I never, ever forgot her and how nice she was and I always look for crying people in elevators that might need a friend ever since then.

Today, I had an interview in the same office building and she was in the elevator with me. There were several other people and I didn't want to go calling her name and having to remind her who I was, etc. etc. etc...but, memories of that day flooded RIGHT back to me and it almost made me cry remembering how nice she was to me that day.

When I got home, I ordered flowers and had them sent to her office.

I wrote in the card:

"I saw you in the elevator of your building today and didn't get to talk to you, but it instantly reminded me of how much you helped me four years ago. I never, ever forgot it! Consider these four years overdue."

I really hope she knows how much I appreciated her kindness!!!

Comments

• NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    Aw that is very sweet! Just goes to show how what one might think is a small gesture means the world to someone else :)
    I wonder if she'll realize what the flowers are for when she gets them.

Posted from my "smart"phone. 'Scuse crazy typos
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Aren't you sweet! I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that she remembers you from four years ago and will be thrilled with the flowers.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Awww, D....you're such a sweetie!!!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I seriously just never forgot that! I emailed her the next day thanking her, but it was still all four years ago.

I bet if she doesn't remember who I am, it just means that she's helped so many people she can't keep track of them all.

Beverly for President!!!
    Positive Thinking Class has made a monster outa me!
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,772Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I love this story and especially love what you did. I'm sure she will remember you and feel so good that she made you feel better and is remembered.

When I was in High School there was this new girl who came to school. She was pretty, so most of the girls didn't want to befriend her and make her 1st days easier. That's unfortunate, but the way it was.

I felt bad for her, so I showed her around and we became good friends. She was only there for a year. Now many, many years later she found me on Facebook. She thanked me for making that year a good one for her and said she has thought of me often over the years. I caught a lot of wrath over that year with my other friends, but really enjoyed her friendship. We keep in touch today. It's really nice to know that an act of kindness is remembered.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    when I was in high school about to go to university I was so nervous and didn't want to go and I hated my parents for making me go, and I was talking to this boy two grades below me one day and he told me that I shouldn't be nervous and that it'll be a good experience and that its better to move away then to not and wonder what if, etc etc. so I left and like two years ago I sent him a message on Facebook telling him thank you for the kind words. and then he was like "thats kind of creepy that you remember that".

:sad8:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,772Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Wow! Foreverturtles. That wasn't a very nice response. Maybe, he's not the type who can take or appreciate a "thank you for your help." IDK. Some people I guess would be embarrassed by it or think you are stalking them. Don't worry about it. I think it was very nice that you did thank him. Hopefully, he will appreciate it later on.

I truly believe in the pass it on and thank people who have passed it on to you, even tho' they may not be aware of it.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Yeah, he might have been trying to have a "tough guy" persona and didn't want to be reminded of that! But it was really nice of you to contact him and I bet he DID appreciate it...

This also all reminds me of a conversation I just had with a young man I volunteer with at church. VERY sweet guy! The Youth Group lesson was about apologizing to somebody you've hurt so the kids wrote down things on paper and this guy and I were talking to each other and I said that I still remember the boys who made fun of me on the schoolbus...their faces, their full names. He said that he was on the other end of that and used to make fun of kids on the schoolbus too...AND he still feels AWFUL about it!

It made me feel better to know that somewhere out there, those boys might also still feel bad about making fun of me and also might have grown-up to be really nice guys like this one.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wonderful story! I'm sure you absolutely made her day.
    I hope she's just not confused and thinks she's getting them as a mix-up or anything!!!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's a beautiful story, made my day!
    I hope she's just not confused and thinks she's getting them as a mix-up or anything!!!

You could always pop into her office again, tell her you wanted to make sure she got the flowers and thank her in person. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    She kept me on file!!!!

"Mysterious CIBC"! I love it!

CIBC,

Thank you for the gorgeous arrangement of flowers. They are wonderful and are totally brightening my rainy day.

How are you and your family? Are you still writing?

My daughter is 12 y.o. now, can you believe it? She's in fifth grade and wants to be an actor/pop star/math teacher.

It was such a lovely surprise to hear from you (to be honest it took me a while to figure out who the mysterious "CIBC" was). Be well and take care. Next time you're on the elevator, give me a shout!!

Shalom, Bcleardot.gif
  • eva223eva223 Posts: 197Registered Users
    Aw, that's so sweet! Thanks for sharing.
    3A | Dark Brown | Medium-Length

Curl pride! :cat:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That is such a nice story :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm glad she remembered you. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Aww, what a nice story!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    Aw! You have made a new friend! Very sweet :)

Posted from my "smart"phone. 'Scuse crazy typos
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file