Some beginner Questions

Hey there curly girls(and guys)! I've recently come across the sight and I've decided to embrace my curly hair. I had a few questions that I wanted to ask and was hoping you all could help.
1. What is Modified CG? I've seen several people have it in their signatures and I was curious as to what it was....
2. What's your favorite conditioner? I did buy some HH totally twisted shampoo and conditioner but I'm going to look for new products when those run out.
3. Do you use DevaCurl products? Would you recomend any from the line?
4. Are the towels for curly hair worth the money?
5. Any other advice?

Thank you all so much! I'm very excited to start the journey towards loving my hair(:
Type -3a/3b
Cleanser-KCCC
Condtioner-KCKT
Products- Herbal Essences TT Mousse

Comments

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    I can answer a couple of your questions

Modified CG is where a person subscribes to some, but not all, of the ideas of the Curly Girl concept. Some modifications have been using a sulfate shampoo occasionally but fillowing everything else, or using limited silicones.

I have noticed quite a difference in my hair since using the microfiber towels aimed at curlies. It dries quickly and well and my hair rarely snags on a microfiber towel as it does on regular cotton towels. This has reulted in less breakage. Also, the microfiber towels (or a soft cotton t-shirt) leave enough water in my hair to add my leave-in of choice and a styler.

I have to say, I am a late convert to HEHH, and I only use the conditioner, but I think you have a nice start. Some other ladies here who use that conditioner also use Aussie Moist, Tresemme Naturals (that one is silicone-free) and some Giovanni conditioners. Their level of success depends a lot on your hair's properties.

Welcome to the site!
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • SimplySophiaSimplySophia Posts: 54Registered Users
    Thank you so much for your quick reply!
    I was a bit concerned about some of the products I was using as they contained sulfates and silicones. I'm glad I'm not the only one using HE but I'm not sure it's the same line. Hopefully the product will work just as well.
    I'll definetly look into getting a microfiber towel and a satin pillowcase(:
    Type -3a/3b
    Cleanser-KCCC
    Condtioner-KCKT
    Products- Herbal Essences TT Mousse
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome Sophia! I agree with everything sagehen said. I consider myself modified CG since I will occasionally sulfates. I try to avoid 'cones but some sneak in on me from time to time.

I love my curl like us towels and microfiber towel. A cotton t-shirt would also work. Just don't use terrycloth!

I have used the Deva line of products. Not a fan. They left my hair gummy. I love Tresemme Naturals conditioner. I'm still looking for a low-poo that I love. I currently like Burt's Bees and Jessicurl.

Be patient, keep reading and experimenting. No one product or technique will work for everyone. You gotta try different things and find what's right for you. Keep us updated on your struggles and successes. That's how we all learn!
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    -The Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners all have sulfates and silicones AFAIK. If you're planning on going CG you're going to need to ditch those.
    -Love Curl Junkie conditioners! Tresemme Naturals is a good drugstore conditioner.
    -Deva products are not that great. If you're going to invest in boutique products, look at Curl Junkie for sure! I also like some other lines like Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets, Donna Marie Curling Gelly
    -I like to use a long sleeve shirt to plop in, you can get some flour sack towels from wal-mart/target as well.
    -Check out the technique links that are stickied at the top of the general discussion page! If you're wanting to try samples of products, private message kathymack (member here) with the list of stuff you want to try as well as your zip code. She is really nice and fast with shipping!

Here is the link to the samples:
    http://public.fotki.com/kathymack/
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    Many curlies will use a low poo (a sulfate free shampoo) instead of cowashing. Many refer to that as mod CG here...
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file