CurlTalk

Dry Hair Conditioning

Dame CurlicueDame Curlicue Posts: 27Registered Users
Does anyone deep condition on dry hair? I just read the back of my AOHSR conditioner and it says for deep conditioning to use it on dry hair, and then shampoo and condition as usual. I'm...scared to try this. The conditioner works really well for me already, but if it could be even more moisturizing used dry :love4:

Anyone tried this? Did using a shampoo afterwards undo all of the good the DT did?

Comments

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    I do that with AOHSR, AOWC and AOGPB condishes all the time. I add a little oil to help me detangle, section my hair off and then let it sit for about 30 minutes under a cap, and then shampoo.

When I do it that way, I find my detangling time is cut down after shampooing.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    I deep condition on dry hair every week (well except for the one week I do a protein treatment). But I use my coconut oil and I do it overnight. I get up the next day, water rinse, either shampoo or co-wash depending on the week, condition and detangle, rinse and style w/my whipped shea butter. My hair is way more moisturized deep conditioning this way than it ever was when I did it after washing and then sitting under the dryer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • Dame CurlicueDame Curlicue Posts: 27Registered Users
    Ooh I'm gonna have to try this. I was afraid the shampoo would scrub all of the DT moisture out (I like to low-poo and DT on the same day), but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Now that's almost December I need to get some extra moisture into my hair. This sounds like it could be the perfect way.
    Ooh I'm gonna have to try this. I was afraid the shampoo would scrub all of the DT moisture out (I like to low-poo and DT on the same day), but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Now that's almost December I need to get some extra moisture into my hair. This sounds like it could be the perfect way.

I find that for me, deep conditioning overnight w/the coconut oil is great bc by morning my hair has absorbed all the moisture that it needs so any oil that is being washed off the next day is just excess anyway so it really doesn't matter. It's a win win situation all around!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I never tried that with AOHSR, but I have with other conditioners and I love it. I sometimes put the conditioner on my hair and put it up in a bun before I either go to bed or go to the gym and either cowash or shampoo after. Though I use a lot more conditioner this way, my hair loves me for it.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    Lately, I've been conditioning on dry hair before shampooing with SM Purification Masque with good results.

For me, shampooing dosen't undo the effects of the conditioner. This could be because I focus on shampoo'ing my scalp via an applicator bottle.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users
    I love doing this, but I don't have the time now to wait for my hair to dry and then apply it, etc. It gives the best results but I end up using more product.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
    Kitathena wrote: »
    I love doing this, but I don't have the time now to wait for my hair to dry and then apply it, etc. It gives the best results but I end up using more product.

You don't wash your hair first. You do it on dry hair as/is then shampoo/co-wash, etc.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg

You don't wash your hair first. You do it on dry hair as/is then shampoo/co-wash, etc.

Yes, that sounds like a pre-poo which I've never been a fan of. I get better results shampooing my hair, letting it dry, then applying the conditioner. Followed by a final rinse. *shrug*

Yes, that sounds like a pre-poo which I've never been a fan of. I get better results shampooing my hair, letting it dry, then applying the conditioner. Followed by a final rinse. *shrug*

OK - Gotcha. I guess I've always been afraid of letting my hair dry w/o product which for me = breakage.Thankfully my hair doesn't take long to dry if I were to do it that way.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    ^^^ The tangling and breakage is another reason I don't do it anymore. It wasn't so much of an issue when my hair was shorter but now ...scares me to think about it :)
    ^^^
    Same here!
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • darlingdivadarlingdiva Posts: 64Registered Users
    I do this all the time with AO GPB & avocado oil. It's great. It leaves my hair far more moisturized than sitting under the heating cap does.
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    ^^^ The tangling and breakage is another reason I don't do it anymore. It wasn't so much of an issue when my hair was shorter but now ...scares me to think about it :)

Your hair is far too lovely. I don't think it should be allowed! :hmph:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
    ^^^Thanks, girl, you are too sweet :)
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users
    Dry deep conditioning is crucial as I am low porosity

I shampoo, dry my hair until 85% dry with a t-shirt then apply the DC...

Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flilnicka4u2nv%2F" class="Popup

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • demsdatademsdata Posts: 120Registered Users
    Yep. I deep condition on dry hair pretty regularly. Mostly because I'm lazy that way. I like to do all things with one product. I don't shampoo afterwards, I simply rinse with cold water to close my cuticles (i'm high porosity) and go on about my business. I may add a little grape-seed oil or something for a bit of shine.

I've never seen the point in shampooing it out. Is there something in the deep conditioner that you don't want to stay in your hair? I pick my products based on their versatility in use (I'm down to like 3 or 4 only): TE muds (for now, I think I may have managed to mix up a batch on my own that works just as well), elucence MBC, aloe vera gelly, IC Fantasia gel. I do various mixes with these 4 products. Ive even made a mix of the Elucence MBC, a bit of the mud, and the aloe vera with some grape seed oil and a bit of shea butter slightly melted, a tablespoon of amino acids and distilled water....priceless all-in-one leave-in, styler and sealer for me.

Works for me. I rarely have to shampoo at all because I just don't get build-up. I think most, if not all, of my products rinse out with nothing but water and some vigorous stroking. <shrugs> I'm lazy, it works for me. I do only WnG's, I don't get tangles and SSK's are rare, I don't protective style. I use a lot of protein in my mixes because I'm high porosity. My hair is past my shoulders now after being natural (w/o heat) for a year. Who knew doing nothing would make my hair thrive?
    [FONT=&quot]Hair type: the back and sides have small spiraly curls, the top and front just wave like, "hi! how ya doin?"

Condish: ElucenceMBC, HEHH, my kitchen mixes

Moisturizer: mixed spritz of: H20, aloe vera juice, honey, EVCO, ElucenceMBC

Curl Definer: H20 & a shake, my moisturizer mix.... or aloe vera/flax seed/ic fantsia gel if I'm not being lazy.

Styles: wash-n-go, twists just curl up like my wash-n-go

KinkyKurlyKustard is the DEBIL! The DEBIL![/FONT]
    demsdata wrote: »
    Yep. I deep condition on dry hair pretty regularly. Mostly because I'm lazy that way. I like to do all things with one product. I don't shampoo afterwards, I simply rinse with cold water to close my cuticles (i'm high porosity) and go on about my business. I may add a little grape-seed oil or something for a bit of shine.

I've never seen the point in shampooing it out. Is there something in the deep conditioner that you don't want to stay in your hair? I pick my products based on their versatility in use (I'm down to like 3 or 4 only): TE muds (for now, I think I may have managed to mix up a batch on my own that works just as well), elucence MBC, aloe vera gelly, IC Fantasia gel. I do various mixes with these 4 products. Ive even made a mix of the Elucence MBC, a bit of the mud, and the aloe vera with some grape seed oil and a bit of shea butter slightly melted, a tablespoon of amino acids and distilled water....priceless all-in-one leave-in, styler and sealer for me.

Works for me. I rarely have to shampoo at all because I just don't get build-up. I think most, if not all, of my products rinse out with nothing but water and some vigorous stroking. <shrugs> I'm lazy, it works for me. I do only WnG's, I don't get tangles and SSK's are rare, I don't protective style. I use a lot of protein in my mixes because I'm high porosity. My hair is past my shoulders now after being natural (w/o heat) for a year. Who knew doing nothing would make my hair thrive?

ITA w/u. I'm partly lazy, I just refuse to do my hair more than once a week (other than moisturize or retwist it daily to protect my ends), I refuse to be a PJ so I absolutely minimize how many products I use and I attempt to use many products for multiple things (DT, sealing, styling,etc) if I can. I believe I use only 5 products total in a combo of ways (SM shampoo, Suave condish, shea butter, grapeseed & coconut oil...oh and egg, evoo and mayo for my PT) other than that nada. I just don't have the time nor the patience to do anything else. My hair stays in protective styles 99% of the time and I'm hoping after this recent BC that this reggie will get me to my growth goals.

event.png

event.png
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    The only thing I do on dry hair is my hot oil treatment with EVOO. My hair is very dense. If my hair isn't wet conditioners don't spread well over my hair and I end up using twice as much. I have used nearly half a bottle of conditioner before trying to condition dry hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I don't do it because I use cones so I don't know what benefit, if any, that dry conditioning would have. Maybe I will try it in Spring when I lay off the cones a little bit.
  • Kinky DayShaKinky DaySha Posts: 528Registered Users

+1 to the bolded. Im lo po and fine. If I wet, I get all water logged and there's no room for the good penetrating ingredients to get in. So I dc first, finger detangle with the dc, put hair in 6 twisted sections, wash, condition, dry with a tshirt until damp, then apply product. I've had really soft moisturized hair since I started doing this.
    Last perm 8/07, big chop 5/08, several mini chops since
    Fine, medium density, low porosity. PJ in recovery:angel12:
    Current loves:Tressemme Nats, AO GPB, One and Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask, Alba Botanicals Leave-in, KCKT, Qhemet BRBC & OHHB, Terresentials Mud Wash, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi
  • Dame CurlicueDame Curlicue Posts: 27Registered Users

+1 to the bolded. Im lo po and fine. If I wet, I get all water logged and there's no room for the good penetrating ingredients to get in. So I dc first, finger detangle with the dc, put hair in 6 twisted sections, wash, condition, dry with a tshirt until damp, then apply product. I've had really soft moisturized hair since I started doing this.

This makes so much sense! I'm not that experienced with hair, but I've been thinking for a long time that I may be low porosity. My hair takes a while to actually feel wet when I stick it under the shower spray, and it literally takes hours to dry. Anyway this just was a bit of an 'a-ha!' moment for me.
    I tried the dry deep conditioning this week and my hair basically celebrated for the next few days. Of course low porosity strands wouldn't want all that extra water getting in the way of the deep conditioning.