Spinoff: And I lived to tell about it....

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
This is a SO from the thread in which the curlie sprayed nail dryer on her hair by mistake. I've sprayed perfume and eyeglass cleaner on mine.

What ordinary products have you misused by mistake (and lived to tell about it? - not necessarily having anything to do with hair).
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Man! I feel like I had a really good/bad one, recently... But, all I can think of now is that I'm pretty sure I used hair spray instead of body spray, once!

One time, my brother used one of those bleach pens on a brightly colored shirt, because he thought it was a stain stick! He had a little bit of a rage blackout after that. ;)

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I once got nail polish on my lips. It felt so weird and horrible. Taking it off with nail polish remover was pretty gnarly too.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I misused cooking oil once and could have seriously injured myself and Calvin.

It exploded all over the kitchen and we just barely ran out in time to not get covered in boiling hot oil.

A friends mom somehow used Nair along her hairline. :lol: I can't remember specifics (I was 16 so it was a lonnnnng time ago), but her mom was pretty off in the head to start with so I'm not sure what she was originally aiming for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    One one I can think of right now is an old one. I accidentally tasted fabric freshener. The bottle cap was the same size, shape and color as my water bottle. I wasn't paying attention and grabbed the wrong cap. A minute amount of the it transferred onto the bottle. It wasn't enough to cause any harm. I had lavender scented breath all day. It was really odd.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cympreni wrote: »
    One one I can think of right now is an old one. I accidentally tasted fabric freshener. The bottle cap was the same size, shape and color as my water bottle. I wasn't paying attention and grabbed the wrong cap. A minute amount of the it transferred onto the bottle. It wasn't enough to cause any harm. I had lavender scented breath all day. It was really odd.

Oy, this is funny! :brushteeth:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I may have mentioned this one before, but when I was very young, I reached into a tub of Crisco and shoved my hand in my mouth, thinking it was frosting.

I think I cried so hard I didn't get in trouble.
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I once thought I was spraying Febreeze in my closet and on my couch only to find it was CLOROX Clean-Up!!! Was able to save the couch but ended up with a lot of polka dot outfits!!
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My best friend was telling me last night her husband used spray adhesive on his shirt instead of spray starch on accident. And it's his favorite shirt. Oops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I've used hair spray on my nails, thinking it was nail dryer. Oh I put lotion on my tooth brush before.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was doing my nails with a friend, and put nail glue on my nail, thinking it was nail polish... when I went to help her with something on her nails, I got my nail stuck to the inside of her thigh (she was wearing a skirt)....

That was fun to explain to her dad as we asked him to find something to 'unstick' us..... It took years to live down!
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • starsstars Posts: 108Registered Users
    I accidentally got super glue on my lips......*shame*
  • JusduitJusduit Posts: 578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you dust with scented Raid instead of Pledge, you'll never have a problem with ants! just sayin' :laughing7:
    3a (protein sensitive)
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
    Conditioners: CJCR, TJTTT
    Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
    Stylers: UFDCM, CJPP
    Standby items:GVP K-Pak
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I accidentally put windshield wiper fluid in the engine thingy once, instead of antifreeze. I told them not to trust me to do it.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • JewelCurlsJewelCurls Posts: 191Registered Users
    When I was little, I accidentally mistook shaving cream for whipped cream. I remember it was right after Thanksgiving, and it was entirely my own fault, because I was naughty: when asked to put away te Redi-Whip in the cute red and white bottle with the red cap, I served myself a dollop first by spraying it directly onto my little hand on the way to the refrigerator. Well, my dad's extra large Gillette shaving cream also had a cute red and white bottle with a red cap. You can guess the rest.

It burns.
    You can't stop my happiness 'cuz I like the way I am! -Hairspray
    Dangerously open to product suggestion
    3b, thick, angled bob, coarse, low(ish) porosity.
    Favs:
    Poo (when I get buildup): Bumble&Bumble Curly Shampoo
    Lo-poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Cleansing Conditioner
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Prep
    Stylin': Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer for a natural full-bodied look, SheaMoisture Smoothie for finger curls.

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,767Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    CP, you know when you start these threads I have to respond and I come off as a crazy woman. :angry3:

OK, so I'm only going to post 2 things. I don't want people to send the funny wagon out to my house.

I was young, so don't judge me too harshly...I sprayed perfume in my mouth thinking it would give me good breath. Please, people do not do this. YUCK!

When I was pregnant with my 1st baby I got a yeast infection. I didn't even know what this was. I had never had this before. I got up in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep. The itch was so bad. I took a hot bath, but it wasn't helping. When I got out I had this great idea of dousing my lady parts with alcohol. OMG! I woke up my husband because I was screaming and running around the house. I finally set my bottom half back in the tub. This gets better.

The next day I was just as miserable. I had all my baby things together and I happened to have some, I can't frigging remember what it was called, but it was for diaper rash. I swear this stuff would stick like glue on the body. I started cramming it inside my vagina. Please, don't judge me I needed some relief. I had also scratched myself so bad I'm surprised I wasn't bleeding.

So anyway I call my dr and he could get me in that day. While there he asked me if I'd used anything for the discomfort. I lied and said no. Would any of you confess to this? He put me in the stirrups and his nursing assistant was almost on the ground laughing. I couldn't blame her. I'm sure I had this glue/cream seeping out of me and tiger stretch marks on me. I should have just been honest.

Anyway I survived. He gave me something to put in my vagina to clear up the yeast infection. He actually had to explain this thing to me and also told me to use this product which was a douche you could use during pregnancy. I think he thought the glue/cream stuff was me and not a product I had used. This was like 35 years ago and I'm still embarrassed today.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    I get cold sores once in awhile, and keep Abreva in my purse just incase. Well it's a tiny little tube. On Halloween I wore fake lashes a part of my Minnie Mouse costume. I was drinking, and thought I felt a tingle signaling a cold sore. I reached in my bag in the washroom and felt the small tube, pulled it out and rubbed - eyelash glue all over my lip. :P

Posted from my "smart"phone. 'Scuse crazy typos
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • BlessedBmyRootsBlessedBmyRoots Posts: 51Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know that argo corn starch that people eat out of the box? Well when I was a kid, I thought baby powder was the same thing.... It's not! It tastes nothing like corn starch! I lost my voice for a day.

Sent from my dandy, all in one, handheld lifeline
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Let's just say that at 5:00 a.m. fat free creamer and Egg Beaters look the same until you actually pour the Egg Beaters into your coffee...to be fair, at the time, I was up 4 times during the night feeding my youngest daughter so I have an excuse! :)
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Once i almost brushed my teeth with my dads denture cream. i realized it before i brushed. no clue what would had happened, but glad i didnt find out.

i once made my mom soap, and a friend of hers thought is was candy, so she took a bit out of it. she never ate anything from my mom again.

you know the laxatives that look like chocolate? well a friend thought it was real chocolate so she ate a bunch of it. she was stuck in th bathroom the whole weekend.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I had a bottle of astringent and a bottle of nail polish remover that were the same color. I grabbed the wrong one, put it on a cotton ball, and started putting it on my face. Ouch!!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    This happened to a very good friend of mine and even now when I think about it I cringe.

She grabbed what she thought was eye drops out of her purse and put them in her eye. It was super glue. She always kept a little bottle of it in her purse to fix her nails. The whole thing was just horrible. She had to go to the emergency room and get her eye lids seperated because they were stuck together. And then it took them hours to get the hard pieces out. It was truly aweful.

Her eye is fine now and I bet she doesn't keep super glue in her purse anymore! LOL!
    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
    Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
    Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good grief!^^^^^
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    *mute* @ these stories....

When I was a little girl, I used to climb the peach trees in front of my aunt's house. In a burst of childhood stupidity, it occurred to me that I should pick some leaves off the tree and eat them.

Decades later, I remember reading that the leaves are poisonous.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using CurlTalk App
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I recently brushed my teeth with hydracortisone cream. Yeah...it doesn't get teeth very clean.

I keep eyedrops and eardrops in my gymbag for after swimming. Of course I've mixed them up. Sadly, more than once.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Debh366 wrote: »
    This happened to a very good friend of mine and even now when I think about it I cringe.

She grabbed what she thought was eye drops out of her purse and put them in her eye. It was super glue. She always kept a little bottle of it in her purse to fix her nails. The whole thing was just horrible. She had to go to the emergency room and get her eye lids seperated because they were stuck together. And then it took them hours to get the hard pieces out. It was truly aweful.

Her eye is fine now and I bet she doesn't keep super glue in her purse anymore! LOL!

OMG!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    in the VNese culture we use tiger balm for everything. headache? TIGER BALM! stomach ache? TIGER BALM! fever? TIGER BALM! cardiac arrest? TIGER BALM! its the WD40 and ductape of asian medicine. so too often i would use it then forget it about it and later go to pee. id have to shower to cool down my hot penis
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I can't remember if it was my aunt of my uncle, but someone once grabbed a bag of concrete off the counter thinking it was flour. They used it to bread and fry porkchops
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This thread is reminding me of things I have done or do on purpose with products meant for other uses.

Like the time I scarfed down an entire stick of butter [I was about 5].

Or when I put Preparation H ointment around my eyes to reduce puffiness [yesterday].

I do have a real one, it was on a recent trip. My tiny travel tube of toothpaste looked very similar to my tiny travel tube of benzoyl-peroxide. I put the BP on my toothbrush, but caught myself before actually brushing with it.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm often lacking, as my father used to say, "the street smarts" so I'm actually surprised I don't have much of anything to add to this thread.

The only thing I can think of is the time I accidentally sprinkled chili powder on my oatmeal, thinking it was cinnamon. YUCK.
    Csarac wrote: »
    Let's just say that at 5:00 a.m. fat free creamer and Egg Beaters look the same until you actually pour the Egg Beaters into your coffee...to be fair, at the time, I was up 4 times during the night feeding my youngest daughter so I have an excuse! :)

Ha - now THIS one I could see myself doing!
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've almost washed my face with Nair more times than l'd like to admit, because the tube is identical to that of my facial cleanser. I'm very thankful that Nair stinks to high heaven. Otherwise, I wouldn't have caught myself and would be walking around without eyebrows and lashes. LOL!
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file