Question re: wool hats and "African-American" hair

That's in quotes because the question is for an acquaintance on another forum, a knitting forum.

She wants to knit a hat for her brothers GF for Christmas , and she hasonly met the girl once or twice. She didn't specify what type of hair it was (actually she said African) , the knitter doesn't have curly hair so I doubt she knows there are categories to specify what the hair looks like.

I haven't met her of the girl the hat is for, so I have no clue, but she wants to know if wool is ok for the girls hair.

She said she googled it and that Dr. google says wool and black-textured hair are a bad mix, that wool damages those hair types. Acrylic yarn is a synthetic and the next obvious choice, but she doesn't want to use it because it won't be warm. Cotton sucks for winter time hats, it can make a person feel cold. Does anyone know if alpaca or another animal fiber would be ok, or, is wool totally fine and Dr. google is whack?

I don't even know this lady, but she wants to buy nice yarn to make a good gift, and so far all the answers are "don't use wool, I googled it" or "I use wool hats on my hair and it's natural and my hair hasnt been broken". But the "no don't use it" answers outweigh the "go ahead" answers .... So I thought I'd ask here, where people know WAY more about hair than a knitting forum.

:thumbright: thank you! Random, I know :angry3:
All bets off on finding the perfect products for the curls - focusing on regrowing (50%) hair loss due to
A) Depo Provera (injectable birth control)
B) seborrheic dermatitis
C) stress/diet

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How about a really top grade of cashmere? That's very soft. Just a thought - I don't have any facts on this. :)
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • LizardlooLizardloo Posts: 75Registered Users
    I've never heard this and I'm a knitter, but wool does tend to snag my waves. I try to use a merino wool when I do use it as it's much softer (especially for hats). There are also lots of blends using silk & wool etc. that would probably be smoother while still being warm. She could also line the hat with silk/satin.

Not sure if this helps at all!
    Mod CG
    Normal 2b, my hair loves protein right now!

LowPoo/NoPoo: Renpure (green or red), BB, Deva NoPoo
    RO: OneC, Y2Cu
    Leave In: Y2Cu, CG Beauticulrs
    Style: CIAB, Garnier pure clean gel, AIF, SS CEJ, CCCL
    PT: Ion Effective Care or IAGirls' PT
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lizardloo wrote: »
    I've never heard this and I'm a knitter, but wool does tend to snag my waves. I try to use a merino wool when I do use it as it's much softer (especially for hats). There are also lots of blends using silk & wool etc. that would probably be smoother while still being warm. She could also line the hat with silk/satin.

Not sure if this helps at all!

+1 with lining the hat with satin. Today I wore a wool hat and based on advice I received I wore a satin cap underneath. Worked wonderfully but would be even better if I could sew it in. Anyway I have 3b/3c hair if that matters... HTH

On my EVO
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    +1 on the satin lining

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights