Didn't work out so great.. ugh

So I tried the baking soda/ACV today and it made my hair even more dry and dull! I'm so disappointed. I used 1 tbsp of baking soda to 1 cup of water and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water. I thought it would be too diluted otherwise (1 tbsp ACV to 1 cup of water). Was it because of the amount of ACV? I have naturally dry and coarse hair. :?

I conditioned as the last step. Should I have conditioned between the baking soda and ACV?
2b, loose waves (wish my hair were curlier!)
Medium-coarse
Low porosity

Previously dyed and chemically straightened
Currently trying out no-poo (Started on 28/11/2011)
Coconut oil as conditioner

Comments

• FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    maybe your hair doesnt like the baking soda, i havent done it but i dont think i will do it, cause i dont think that my hair would like it. try just doing the ACV as a final rinse, dont use as much, just use 1tbsp and see how your hair responds to that.
    i do a herb rinse, which i always use comfrey leaves, so i need to add to ACV to that.
    there is a different side of the baking soda, same people say that you shouldnt use it at all cause it messes with your PH, (thats y you need the ACV after to bring the PH back to normal). so same people say you shouldnt use it at all.
    hope that wasnt tooo confusing lol

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It may not be for you, or you may need to play with the ratios some. I BS/ACV once every 1-2 weeks and find my hair likes it better than any other clarifying routine. I'm medium coarse, but also fairly dry.

Regular (weekly) DTs are a must for me to keep my hair properly moisturized. Your hair may not have a moisture level that can handle the BS/ACV yet.

How do you use the BS/ACV? I don't mix my BS with water - I mix a bit of it (maybe a teaspoon) into a palmful of a very moisturizing conditioner and co-wash with it. I rinse, then apply my RO conditioner or DT, if it's a DT day. Once that product is rinsed out, I do my ACV rinse - and I use about 4 capfulls (1.5-2 tablespoons) to 4 cups of water. Finally, I apply leave-in and stylers. I do not rinse with plain water after the ACV rinse.

I think your ACV ratio is definitely too strong. HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using the CurlTalk app!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• vanillalushvanillalush Posts: 31Registered Users
    It's been one week into no poo and my hair is not dry anymore, instead its greasier and still DULL! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried clarifying with the baking soda but my hair still looks really dull and stringy.
    Medium-coarse
    Low porosity

Can you give a brief list of all the products you're using and your routine? Maybe there's a hidden 'cone or other reason you might be getting build-up.
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Sorry, I should've provided a list of the products I've used.

In the past 2 months I have used a shampoo and conditioner both of which contain dimethicone. I shampooed every other day but I stopped after a few weeks. I continued with the conditioner (Herbal Essences Mandarin & Pearl, I think) and used it everyday.. I think I may have A LOT of residue left.. I've stopped using it though. I really don't want to use an SLS because it makes my hair so hard and dry.

My routine is very simple because I'm trying to avoid as many products as possible:

Baking soda/ACV once a week, WO wash the rest of the week and coconut oil or olive oil (depends on my mood) to seal my ends after. My hair is in a generally okay condition and I am completely frizz-free, it's just that it tends to get dry or greasy depending on the products I'm using.
    Medium-coarse
    Low porosity

Did you do one final SLS wash after stopping the Herbal Essences conditioner? If not, that dimethicone may still be on your hair. I understand not wanting to use an SLS shampoo, but that might be what it takes to get the dimethicone out. I would do a final SLS wash (but not with the Herbal Essences shampoo - make sure it's an SLS shampoo that has no 'cones - VO5 and Suave Naturals are decent and cheap choices, I think) and then do a DT to help combat the dryness. And then, make sure none of your products from that point onward have non-water-soluble 'cones.

Hope that helps.
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Yes, I did use one last SLS shampoo before stopping the conditioner altogether. Maybe I need a stronger one? Thanks for your help :)
    Medium-coarse
    Low porosity

• wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    Try suave daily clarifying for a last sulfate wash, it's not that drying, it was less drying than HE for me. Then I'd suggest cowashing with suave naturals and using a curlmart rinse out. Suave naturals is very light and I always get tons of body (but not too much!) at the roots. Make sure you really scrub when you wash. Also, you've only been doing it for a week so you might just be going through the greasy phase. Sulfate shampoos strip your scalp and in turn it over produces oil. Once you stop shampooing, it'll learn that it doesn't need to produce so much oil, but it won't learn right away! The first week of doing CG my hair was super greasy and I wore it up every day. It was also still kind of dull and frizzy. It takes time for hair to recover! Now I'm only on my second week but I can already go 3 days easilly (haven't tried more) w/o washing and my hair looks great! Just stick through it!! :) it's like shampoo withdrawal, it sucks at first but your hair and scalp will be healthier than ever in the end!! Hang in there girl :)
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
    Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
    RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
    LI: ^^^
    DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
    Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
    Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
  • KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    Dilute the baking soda more or wash less often. You can also CO wash and do bs/acv rinses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file