Favorite treatments/products for really dry damaged hair?

wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
I have (or had) a mixture of 2c, 3a, and 3b, but mostly 3a. A horrible bleach job among other things left the ends of my hair basically straight!! I have about 3 inches of regrowth, so now the roots and crown of my hair are really curly and frizzy and the rest is wavy/straight but still frizzy. I really don't want to cut it either. I've tried plenty of expensive deep treatment and even if they do hydrate and cut frizz they won't encourage my curls to come back. And I have to keep damaging it by heat styling because I'm sure you could imagine how ridiculous half curly half straight hair would look :(

I'm going to try coconut oil and cholesterol. Do you have any specific suggestions for coco. oil or cholesterol? Or any other recs?
3a
medium/thick
Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
LI: ^^^
DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair may be damaged beyond repair. The way to see if you can get some of the curl back it to do lots and lots of protein--PTs and lots of protein in your products paired with lots of moisture. You'll have to balance out the protein with moisture. Depending on the products that you use, you may have to do DTs to follow the PTs. In all likelihood, you'll need to do extra DTs to get the moisture back in your damaged hair. Even with all the extra TLC, you may not restore your curls.

If you heat style, your hair will continue to be damaged. Maybe not to the extent that the bleach did, but damaged none the less. You need to get frequent haircuts to start getting rid of the damaged hair. While you don't want to loose the length, you'll have to let damage grow out twice, if you don't--once from the bleach and again from the heat styling. It's you choice--how long do you want your hair to look this way??

Forgot to add the treatments. CJ Repair Me and Curl Fix, SS Protein Repair are all moisturizing PTs (I use the Curl Fix as a leave in.) I don't need to DT because I use a lot of really rich products, so I can't really help you with DTs.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    Thank you!! Would you suggest using non-heat styling tools (ie rollers) to get my hair to look atleast somewhat uniform or should I stick to messy buns? I'll cut my hair as soon as it is atleast shoulder length, but mine grows pretty fast so hopefully by this spring/summer I'll be all set. Also, thanks for the product recs. CJ seems to get a lot of love over here, I'm definitely going to try a few of these.
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
    Thank you!! Would you suggest using non-heat styling tools (ie rollers) to get my hair to look atleast somewhat uniform or should I stick to messy buns? I'll cut my hair as soon as it is atleast shoulder length, but mine grows pretty fast so hopefully by this spring/summer I'll be all set. Also, thanks for the product recs. CJ seems to get a lot of love over here, I'm definitely going to try a few of these.

Depends on what you want to look like. If you like how your hair looks using rollers, by all means, use them. As long as they aren't "hot" rollers, you shouldn't be doing any more damage.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • askmeaskme Posts: 42Registered Users
    well I use Pro Naturals Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment with Heat Protector because I used to have damaged hair and split ends, this product helped me a lot and keeps my hair soft, shiny, resilient and healthy. Plus it reduces the frizz, protects the hair from any damage and restores the damaged hair. Now my hair looks so much better and I'm pretty happy with it. I totally recommend it. I hope this helps and good luck girl. :D :toothy6: :glasses8:
    askme wrote: »
    well I use Pro Naturals Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment with Heat Protector because I used to have damaged hair and split ends, this product helped me a lot and keeps my hair soft, shiny, resilient and healthy. Plus it reduces the frizz, protects the hair from any damage and restores the damaged hair. Now my hair looks so much better and I'm pretty happy with it. I totally recommend it. I hope this helps and good luck girl. :D :toothy6: :glasses8:

They don't list specific ingredients, but they do have this:
    Special Ingredients:

Hydro Cordium: vegetable based amino protein (strengthener)
    Silicom Derivative: A silicone derivative to give the hair fiber softness, smoothness and lightness
    Purely Natural Plant Control-oil : Supplies hair nutrients and provides a protection layer
    Multiple tartaric acid complexes:Facilitate cell rejuvenation

Many of the folks on nc.com stay away from products with silicone.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nayhay39nayhay39 Posts: 7Registered Users
    I'm currently growing out over bleached hair too, but mine retained a decent amount of curl.
    In the past when nursing back damaged hair I've used Freeman's Papaya line and a LOT of AVG.

The Papaya conditioners, as far as I can tell, are completely CG friendly and are incredibly rich. You know those conditioner tubes that come in box hair dye? That's the closest comparison I can think of. It FEELS hydrating and is nice and light if you choose to leave a little in. I leave the conditioner on for at least five minutes most days while I shave my legs, etc.

The Papaya shampoos do contain Sodium Leureth Sulfate which I know a lot of curlies like to avoid. I generally only shampoo once a week, concentrating on the oiliest parts of my scalp.

All I generally need after that is a little AVG for hold.

This method took me from a stripped, brittle mess to 3a-b ringlets and spirals in high school. When I stopped using it (I thought it had been discontinued) I noticed a remarkable change in the curliness and general health of my hair.

I'm currently trying this method again with my bleached out hair and am confident about it. Every day I'm noticing a little more bounce and am hoping to trim off some of the dead soon. :)
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    Just wanted to update: I've been doing CG for 2 weeks now, I haven't done a PT yet BUT my curls are coming back! Right now it's a mix of 2b/2c with a bit of 3a thrown in there. The healthy regrowth is 3a/b. My hair's not totally back to normal but its a HUGE improvement, oh and I don't heat style or anything anymore. And for the first time in years, I've gotten compliments on my hair! Lots of people have been telling me that they love my hair curly, and to never straighten it again! :D thanks for all the recs and tips, I can't believe the difference already :)
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file