Curl type changing with length

CalypsoCalypso Posts: 142Registered Users
I know I'm a mix of 3a and 3b but since my last hair cut that was back in August, I've noticed that one type of curl shows more when my hair is shorter or longer.

When my hair was cut, it was just below my shoulders and my hair was mainly 3a with some 3b. I had big spirals and rarely did I get a ringlet. It's been about four months since my last cut and my hair has grown about 2 inches since then and now my hair is more 3b then it is 3a. I still have spirals but they are more tighter and I'm getting a few more ringlets.

Does happen to anyone else who has a mix of different curl types? I just assumed that when a person has more then one curl type, it stayed more of a mix no matter what the length of their hair. I was going to get my hair cut to where it was a few months ago but now I might just leave it be and enjoy my 3b curls for a bit!
3a/3b spirals and the occasional ringlet
M/iii
Normal porosity

Products I use:

Shampoo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner
DT: Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Aqua-Immersion Creme Masque
Styling: Homemade FSG with Lavender EO & AVJ/water mist spray containing Epsom Salt, Lavender EO

th_Underneath1.jpg

Comments

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Yup, if my hair is too short I have suuuper thick/poofy 2b/2c waves (would be great if not for the poof!). But once I hit around APL, I get 2c/3a spirals and strong waves that I love. My hair does not "spring up" when shorter; it only gets spirally if the waves reach a certain length... hair is so funny sometimes! :P
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • CalypsoCalypso Posts: 142Registered Users
    Hair is definitely funny! I thought that I knew what my hair needs like gels and so forth but now I have to change things around to accommodate the way my curls are now that my hair is longer.

The learning never stops!
    M/iii
    Normal porosity

Products I use:

Styling: Homemade FSG with Lavender EO & AVJ/water mist spray containing Epsom Salt, Lavender EO

th_Underneath1.jpg
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    So true! The slightest change in something can affect everything else so drastically. A few more inches of hair = entirely new products! My hair is just so picky with everything, like ingredients and methods of applying products...
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • starsstars Posts: 108Registered Users
    Same type of thing happens with my hair! I cut it alot last year, and it completely relaxed. Now that I'm trying to grow it long again, it seems like the curls are very slowly coming back. The longer my hair grows, the more 3b curls I get.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It is said that 3a hair needs length to reach its full curl potential. I definitely get more ringlets once my hair hits just below shoulder length.

3a hair is pretty unique.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • CalypsoCalypso Posts: 142Registered Users
    It is said that 3a hair needs length to reach its full curl potential. I definitely get more ringlets once my hair hits just below shoulder length.

I heard that before. It was something like 3a is curlier when longer whereas 3b hair is curlier when shorter. Of course, it also depends on the person's hair as no one's hair is exactly alike.
    M/iii
    Normal porosity

Products I use:

th_Underneath1.jpg
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    My hair does this too, except when it's really short. When I had side bangs they curled up to 3b, my hair is least curly at shoulder length, it's 2c/3a because I have the kind of hair that's relatively straight at the roots. When my hair is long it's a 50/50 mix of 3a and 3b.
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
    Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
    RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
    LI: ^^^
    DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
    Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
    Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    I've noticed recently that as my hair is getting longer and longer it's getting less 3b and more 3a actually, especially into 2nd or 3rd day hair. For me, I think it's the increasing weight of my hair pulling out the curls. When it's shorter it's really curly and poufy.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • CurlyJellyCurlyJelly Posts: 29Registered Users
    My hair is 3a leaning a little toward 3b and as it's been growing past shoulder length the curls have been loosening a little and they look prettier :)
  • CalamityMCalamityM Posts: 541Registered Users Curl Novice

This is exactly what my stylist said. I cut my hair shorter a while ago and have been growing it back. I was complaining about my curls not forming as well as before and he said I needed more length for them to reach their full potential. It's so true! The longer my hair gets the better the curl.
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Posts: 304Registered Users
    Is it your curls changing or the weight of your hair making them appear to change? I'm not a 3a, I'm a 4a and as my hair gets longer people insist that I'm really a 3c trying to be a 4a. But when my hair is short, my curls are CLEARLY 4a. As it gets longer, the weight of my hair makes those curls look looser, and more akin to a 3c. I don't know if the same is true for other hair types, but this thread made me curious.

*Okay, running out of thread I have nothing to contribute in :tongue3:.*

Carry on!! Happy holidays!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file