New to no 'poo, need advice please!

So I have looked up numerous blogs/forums/etc. that talk about the no 'poo method and it suffices to say, I'm convinced. But I have a few questions:

1. I have noticed that most of the people who go no 'poo have greasy hair. I have the opposite. My hair is coarse and tends to be dry and when I don't wash my hair for days it gets really stiff. So what I want to know is will this method work just as well for dry hair?

2. How often will I need to wash with baking soda/ACV per week? (Taking into consideration the condition of my hair, which is dry/coarse)

3. I am planning on using Bragg's Organic ACV & Honey. Is this okay or should I just use ACV without the honey? For some reason the supermarket near me does not stock the normal Bragg's ACV.

These are all I can think of off the top of my head. Thanks for your help!
2b, loose waves (wish my hair were curlier!)
Medium-coarse
Low porosity

Previously dyed and chemically straightened
Currently trying out no-poo (Started on 28/11/2011)
Coconut oil as conditioner

Comments

• missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1. I have noticed that most of the people who go no 'poo have greasy hair. I have the opposite. My hair is coarse and tends to be dry and when I don't wash my hair for days it gets really stiff. So what I want to know is will this method work just as well for dry hair?

People that go no-poo aren't usually greasy once their scalp/hair stabilizes from using the old stuff. If they are greasy or cowashing doesn't work for them they'll go to a lo-poo which tends to be defined as almost all non-sulfate shampoos. I use Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo which can be found at Walgreens and some Targets. Some people chuck the whole no sulfate thing altogether because nothing else works for them. You might not have a problem with it if your hair's dry but then again it may be dry from what you've been doing prior to CG.
    2. How often will I need to wash with baking soda/ACV per week? (Taking into consideration the condition of my hair, which is dry/coarse)

This I can't give any advice. I don't do either one.
    3. I am planning on using Bragg's Organic ACV & Honey. Is this okay or should I just use ACV without the honey? For some reason the supermarket near me does not stock the normal Bragg's ACV.

With or without honey just depends on how your hair reacts to it. A lot of members on this board add honey to their hair products. I like it in my conditioner. If I remember correctly it's a mild humectant.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • vanillalushvanillalush Posts: 31Registered Users
    Thanks for responding! I really need all the help I can get. Shea? My hair loves shea butter but we don't have a Walgreen's or Target here (I live in Singapore, they should really open up one of those stores here soon!). I'll look around the drugstore I suppose.

Prior to this I had long, wavy, damaged hair a few inches above my waist. I dyed it and chemically straightened it a couple of times in the past. I cut almost everything off so now it's a little bit below my ears. It took some balls but my hair is SO much healthier now! :)

I have one more question. I have quite a big, weird patch of hair on the back of my head. The hairs are much coarser than the rest of my hair and feel extremely dry. The rest of my hair pretty much feels sleek but this one patch of hair is driving me nuts! I've tried conditioning it heavily, oiling it, nothing worked.. What bothers me is that it's a big patch, about 3 inches in length and width :? Could this just be the odd patch of kinky hair or does it have something to do with the damage I caused to my hair in the past? That doesn't make sense since I cut most of it off, shouldn't it be the same as the rest of my hair..?
    2b, loose waves (wish my hair were curlier!)
    Medium-coarse
    Low porosity

Previously dyed and chemically straightened
    Currently trying out no-poo (Started on 28/11/2011)
    Coconut oil as conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file