My Hair Story!

New_WavesNew_Waves Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi everyone! I have naturally wavy hair (2a/2b) that I have tried making type 1 hair for my entire life!

When I was a little girl I would get teased because of my huge/frizzy mess. It was horrible back then as all of my hair was one length and I used to swim as much a two times a day. Everyone would tell me that it looked like I didn't brush my hair and so I brushed it even more which of course only made it worse. My mother also has naturally curly hair (much thicker and curlier than mine) but she never embraced it and so I grew up watching her putting it into a braid and forgetting about it. The message to me was clear...my wavy/frizzy hair was something to hide and be ashamed of.

When I turned 16 I discovered the 'miracle' of the straightener. I fell in love with my newly sleek hair and promised myself never to lapse back into my frizzy and embarrassing childhood hair. For the next 11 years I straightened my hair every day and felt better about the way that it looked. Still it was missing something and always lay flat on my head, I longed for volume but could never find a way to achieve it...eventually I gave up.

Then last week something happened that changed the course of my hair's destiny (lol!) I have been trying to grow my hair for quite some time (it currently sits just past my shoulders) and so I took to the internet looking for ways to boost hair growth. I happened to read an article about using heat in hair that shocked me. I had always heard that heat damages hair, but never took it seriously. When I saw the drawings of what my straightener was doing to my hair I decided right away to attempt to go natural. The next day was a little scary for me. I hadn't seen my natural hair for 11 years and as it began to dry it started to frizz, still I determined not to touch it and just let it do its thing. Amazingly when it finished drying (some 2 hours later) I had beautiful soft waves (a little frizzy but not bad) and was immediately converted!

I still can't believe that this is my natural hair without any products! I'm really excited to learn more about my naturally curly hair and how to care for it! I have already learnt so much from all of you and I've only been reading for a few days! Maybe one day soon I'll have the strength to throw the straightener in the garbage for good!

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Great story! Thanks for sharing. And welcome to our community... we're glad you've joined us!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • vanillalushvanillalush Posts: 31Registered Users
    I like your story. :) I'm excited about this journey too! More than anything, it's to improve my looks and make me feel better about myself. Good hair makes me feel like a million bucks!
    2b, loose waves (wish my hair were curlier!)
    Medium-coarse
    Low porosity

Previously dyed and chemically straightened
    Currently trying out no-poo (Started on 28/11/2011)
    Coconut oil as conditioner
  • New_WavesNew_Waves Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

Vanillalush- I totally agree, good hair does make me feel like a million bucks and what makes it even better is knowing that it's all natural.
  • tiggerkenwoodtiggerkenwood Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hello.:hello2: Wow, your hair sounds just like mine. My biggest problem though was the snarls and tangles. I would brush through it and soon it would tangle again. I finally found Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm and Aloe to keep my hair from frizzing and tangling. I also use horsetail, sage and brahmi for volume. Anyway, it took me years to find this stuff. (41 years). Maybe it could be worth a try for you???

Have you seen the Bear Fruit Beauty website?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file