Question for people who have been on Accutane

PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
If you took a second round of Accutane because the first round didn't work, did the second round prove to be a permanent cure?

I took Accutane from October 2009 to March 2010. Prior to taking it, I had very oily skin and skin that was never clear. I had cystic acne and a variety of other nasty pimples. It also didn't seem to make a difference where I was in my monthly cycle.

When I took Accutane, my skin responded immediately, to my surprise. I had only 1 spot appear two days after starting the treatment and literally had none after that.

After stopping treatment, my skin continued to look good. I had the odd tiny pimple, but that didn't bother me. I never expected to have absolutely perfect skin. Some oil returned, but that was welcome as Accutane dried my skin too much (which is obviously a main side-effect).

It wasn't until May 2011 that I noticed I was starting to break out. At first, it was a break out, then my skin settled and I relaxed about it.

Over the past 4 months though, my skin has gone back to how it was pre-treatment. The oiliness with a vengeance at some point...I'm unsure exactly when. The cystic acne isn't great. I currently have 4 in my chin and at least 2 forming around my nostrils. It's making me feel ugly, to put it bluntly.

I've tried Differin and many other treatments over the years. I've done PSF. I'm at the stage of wanting to go back on Accutane, but I don't want to take it if it will just prove to be a short term fix. The side effects were quite hard-going too.

Any thoughts/opinions/stories?

Thanks.
Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.

Comments

• KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    One course cured my cystic acne. My skin is still oily and I get random breakouts but no more of those deep, painful bumps. I would never use it again because of side effects. As a matter of fact I had to stop the course when it was almost complete because of side effects. But it worked for what I needed it for...

On my EVO
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I did 2 rounds of Accutane, the 2nd round was a lower dose, but I think I took it for a longer period. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly. While I by no means have perfect skin now, the second round did help, I've not gone back to what I was pre-accutane.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    First round did nothing for me, second round did nothing for me. Except for both rounds giving me such dry membranes I'd wake up with nosebleeds in the middle of the night. So that was fun.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First two rounds dealt with the acne while I was taking it. It took a third round to get rid of it.

I still get spots, but nothing compared to before the Roaccutane. I think 3 attempts has left my skin very sensitive and slightly red.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone for your responses. What this is telling me is there's no easy answer! I am very disappointed that my skin has gone bad again, as after over a year of great skin, I was thought it would be permanent.

I'm really sorry it didn't work at all for you, Michelle. I remember the nosebleeds vividly. Accutane is no picnic and I'm so in a quandary over what's best to do. I'm considering maybe trying the Clarisonic, although that's not cheap. It is encouraging though that for TRBL, CurlyLaura and Kilajo, it did improve your skin in the end.

Thanks again for the replies.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe you could use a different medication this time round? Are you seeing you GP about it or a dermatologist?

The pill is not for everyone but I've had great success with that for the remnants of spots.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I did 3 rounds and my skin was awesome while I was taking the accutane, but it just goes back to what it was before each time. I'm now dealing with it via other methods, but essentially it didn't do anything for me.
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I took two rounds of Accutane. Each time, my skin returned to how it had been before. But since this was during puberty, I don't know whether Accutane kept my skin from getting worse.
  • dyeozdyeoz Posts: 18Registered Users
    I'm sorry about your results.
    I did two rounds also, once my senior yr of H.S. and then another round 5 years later.
    I currently take two medications orally. I used to take Solodyn (brand name) and now I take the generic of that, Minocylcen (spelling?) and I also take Spironlactone or something like that.

Some people also say 1/4 of acne issues can be a result of certain foods we eat and stress/ hormone imbalance. Are you taking birth control?
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file