CurlTalk

Is Big Chopping Against The Bible?

Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
Read this post on CN yesterday and it's really got me thinking. Not sure where I stand. What do you all think?

Big Chopping and the Bible | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care
«134

Comments

  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I cannot. :sad3:
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • YltnelisYltnelis Posts: 54Registered Users
    Honestly, I think people can find pretty much anything in the bible to interpret in a way that will best fit their own personal beliefs. That's one of the many reasons that I stepped away from religion many years ago, and happily never looked back. I personally don't believe in the bible, so what that man said would not give me pause in any way. However, if someone does believe, I think they should do what feels right in their heart and based on their own personal relationship with their higher power. Not based on someone else's interpretation of some random scripture.
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I heard a Bible teacher explain this once. He said that it was a cultural thing at that time for prostitutes to have shaven heads....it distinguished them from everyone else. The length of your hair has nothing to do with your standing in God....and the hair being your glory simply meant it was beautiful to look at. I think that it is sickening how people have taken scripture out of context and created denominations that keep people in bondage to fear and distrust of a loving God.
  • DBOO75115DBOO75115 Posts: 119Registered Users
    Yltnelis wrote: »
    Honestly, I think people can find pretty much anything in the bible to interpret in a way that will best fit their own personal beliefs. That's one of the many reasons that I stepped away from religion many years ago, and happily never looked back. I personally don't believe in the bible, so what that man said would not give me pause in any way. However, if someone does believe, I think they should do what feels right in their heart and based on their own personal relationship with their higher power. Not based on someone else's interpretation of some random scripture.

    I agree the bible can be interpreted in many ways. From my understanding there is a HUGE difference in cutting your hair and attempting to have an appearance of a man (which is supposed to be a no no). This reason is usually is why woman are told not to wear pants. But if it has to do with a woman working as a prostitute it may also be related to the "critters" that many prostitutes may have lived with due to the encounters they had with many people. Just like how people used to shave their heads and wear wigs because of "critters".

    I personally believe that a look has nothing to do with the virtue of a person. Religion many times is used by people as a way to control and manipulate others, instead of being inspiring and freeing (the way I think it should be).
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    Why didn't the article (or post) quote the scripture? I hate it when people do that.

    Did the poster even bother picking up her Bible to read the passage for herself? I mean it's her head and she obviously doesn't take it to heart if she plans on big chopping again. So what difference does it make.

    I think i need a nap. I'm cranky.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    no shade, but i don't really care. for one, i'm not really a christian. for two, when i did consider myself a christian, i still didnt believe that the bible was meant to be taken as literaly as some ppl take it these days (my HS religion teachers actually told me this). i feel like a lot of these laws were made up more for evolutionary/physical/social survival reasons than because the Lord really frowns upon them. it seems like it would be easier to get ppl to listen to you if you say "God doesn't want you to fornicate or commit adultery, and you'll go to hell if you do" than if you say "Hey men, you shouldn't go sleeping around all willy nilly b/c you'll end up with babies all over the place that you can't keep track of, therefore you really won't know who is a part of your bloodline... which is bad" and " Women, you shouldnt go sleeping around either b/c men most likely wont claim you and your child, and at this point, women and children are still pretty dependent on men to survive"

    i'm not saying that there aren't "sins" that are really morally/ethically wrong (adultery is wrong b/c you're actions are ultimately hurting someone in the process), but some of them are more about survival than morality (you really aren't hurting anyone by fornicating).

    you know the deal... i ramble. hope you got something from that.

    ETA: for three, even if it does go against the bible, ppl cherry pick from the bible all the time, so... eh.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    Read this post on CN yesterday and it's really got me thinking. Not sure where I stand. What do you all think?

    Big Chopping and the Bible | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care


    Oy vey. Frankly, that particular verse in the New Testament Bible doesn't apply to me. I'm Jewish and the NT is irrelevant to my own life..but I have extensively studied the NT, Christianity, and Paul.

    Anyhoo..This whole issue is based on 1 Corinthians 11. I would have to go into a bunch of nauseating detail to really flesh it out for you. But the bottom line is Paul is talking about the supposed order under God. God being the top, the husband being the second, the wife being under her husband and God.

    Paul gives the advice that if the woman doesn't cover her head while she is praying or prophesying it is a disgrace because she's not showing the proper order of things. It's a sign of disrespect. In those days.. normally most men wore their hair short and woman grew their hair long and wore veils if they weren't with their spouse. It's was normally harlots that cut their hair short.

    So Paul is basically saying if the wife is not going to cover her head to show the proper order of things in during prayer and prophecy... she might as well go all out and shave her darn hair all off or cut it super short like a man would. Because she'd be "out of order" anyway by not showing propriety during prayer and prophesy.

    Notice though in verse 16 of the text Paul says that if any man is contentious about what he's saying..recognize there is no actual LAW. They use the word "custom" in English taken from some Greek words that mean a certain thing to Paul. Paul was for all intents and purposes a Jewish man and he thought more from a Hebraic perspective. So he uses the the term in a certain way when he uses it.

    So I would venture to say the understanding is he's saying there is no actual Jewish Halacha (law or Jewish codeified prohibition) against it. He's simply making guidelines concerning propriety for the church community that he's trying to establish to keep order. He's not saying a woman MUST do as he says..he's basically saying, "If any of ya'll wanna catch an attitude about what I'm saying about propriety then do you cause what I'm saying isn't law anyway..I'm just trying to get yall to see order!"

    You have to realize that Paul gives a lot of what he feels are useful and helpful guidelines to the people he's build up. So that when he leaves they won't revert back to their old ways of impropriety. Keep in mind the letter is to people in Corinth which was in Greece. These people were formerly pagans. So he's trying to get them to be "holy". Some of what he says is not always what he has gotten from his revelation from Jesus Christ or god. It's just his own advice.

    So it's important to denote that Paul makes distinctions about what are his own ideas and what has been revealed to him through the word of Jesus Christ or god.

    Unfortunately, many of Paul's epistles have been used in Christianity to brow beat the hell out of women into being "submissive" to their husband and other men. Paul's words have been distorted to base all sorts of nonsensical beliefs on that have been one of which I consider primary in the many errors in mainstream Christianity.

    But I assure you there is no admonisment from Paul or any other apostle or Jesus Christ that a woman that has chemically relaxed or altered her hair can't cut or shave that part or all of it off to grow back her hair to a healthy and natural state. Heck.. I would think Paul would be glad of it.. a woman getting back to originally what god made her.. nu ?
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    There are certain things in the Bible that were meant to address a certain church or certain group of people at the time. If Big Chopping is against the Bible then so is wearing pants, or makeup if people want to be anal. I am a Christian and I know that people pick and choose certain verses, remove them from context, and use them to try to control or condemn others which I don't buy into.

    I won't go any deeper into it, I have no real desire to, but I do know that no woman is going to burn in hell because she BC'd.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    My roommate in college belonged to a church that didn't believe in women wearing pants, cutting their hair or wearing makeup. She wore long skirts but she kept right on getting hair cuts and wearing makeup because she said she looked all through the Bible and didn't find one single passage against it. Personally I think those things are not Biblical teachings but religious doctrine made up by people who are counting on other people taking their word for it instead of taking the time to look it up themselves. Usually it's men trying to control women. As soon as they started teaching that submission stuff in church, I figured I would probably never get married cuz that's just not me.
    You mentioned there was no scripture quoted. I saw a passage in the Bible that said to be a leader in the church a man must have only one wife so I wonder how the FLDS men talk their way out of that one?
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    I heard a Bible teacher explain this once. He said that it was a cultural thing at that time for prostitutes to have shaven heads....it distinguished them from everyone else. The length of your hair has nothing to do with your standing in God....and the hair being your glory simply meant it was beautiful to look at. I think that it is sickening how people have taken scripture out of context and created denominations that keep people in bondage to fear and distrust of a loving God.

    see! that's what i mean!
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    You mentioned there was no scripture quoted. I saw a passage in the Bible that said to be a leader in the church a man must have only one wife so I wonder how the FLDS men talk their way out of that one?

    By doing the same nonsense others do..twist "Scripture" and create doctrine.. but they use the "Old Testament" to justify their tom foolery with several wives.

    The Scripture that is reference about woman's hair is 1 Corinthians 11. I stated that in my earlier post..if you'd like to read the text for yourself.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    Anyone that will compare a "BC" to the fictional book of the "bible" REALLY needs to examine their mental health? Really though? C'mon SON!
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    OP, if you're not sure where you stand, I suggest you do some personal bible study and gain insight that way.

    Also, I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a "Christianity bashing" thread....which from OT experience (off-topic, not old testament) is what usually happens.

    *sigh*
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    OP, if you're not sure where you stand, I suggest you do some personal bible study and gain insight that way.

    Also, I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a "Christianity bashing" thread....which from OT experience (off-topic, not old testament) is what usually happens.

    *sigh*

    That's the best thing to do.. like Hillel said.. "Go and Study!" LOL!

    I know you are a Christian, Nia and I respect you. I did make an effort not to bash Christianity in my posts. To me, it's basically other men over time that have distorted what Paul was trying to convey and it's lead to oppression of women and others in Christianity. No offense. Basically they used his words to work that which is unseemly..if you get my drift.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    *Marah* wrote: »
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    OP, if you're not sure where you stand, I suggest you do some personal bible study and gain insight that way.

    Also, I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a "Christianity bashing" thread....which from OT experience (off-topic, not old testament) is what usually happens.

    *sigh*

    That's the best thing to do.. like Hillel said.. "Go and Study!" LOL!

    I know you are a Christian, Nia and I respect you. I did make an effort not to bash Christianity in my posts. To me, it's basically other men over time that have distorted what Paul was trying to convey and it's lead to oppression of women and others in Christianity. No offense. Basically they used his words to work that which is unseemly..if you get my drift.

    No, I didn't take your post as "bashing". You have a vast knowledge of Christian doctrine, as a Jew. I respect that.

    But see, I never understand why people seek guidance on CHRISTIAN principles from the masses...comprised primarily of folks who don't believe...that makes no sense to me.

    So, questions like these often never get a biblical/scholarly answer...it just ends being, "Christianity is stupid", "I don't believe in the bible",
    "It's all foolishness", etc. Okay. But guess what? That's not what was asked.

    The OP never gets what they came for...and again, I question why they came for it, in the first place. Study the bible for yourself. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but consider your audience, if you really want a biblical perspective.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    PRecious Curls, why aren't you sure where you stand?
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • YltnelisYltnelis Posts: 54Registered Users
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    *Marah* wrote: »
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    OP, if you're not sure where you stand, I suggest you do some personal bible study and gain insight that way.

    Also, I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a "Christianity bashing" thread....which from OT experience (off-topic, not old testament) is what usually happens.

    *sigh*

    That's the best thing to do.. like Hillel said.. "Go and Study!" LOL!

    I know you are a Christian, Nia and I respect you. I did make an effort not to bash Christianity in my posts. To me, it's basically other men over time that have distorted what Paul was trying to convey and it's lead to oppression of women and others in Christianity. No offense. Basically they used his words to work that which is unseemly..if you get my drift.

    No, I didn't take your post as "bashing". You have a vast knowledge of Christian doctrine, as a Jew. I respect that.

    But see, I never understand why people seek guidance on CHRISTIAN principles from the masses...comprised primarily of folks who don't believe...that makes no sense to me.

    So, questions like these often never get a biblical/scholarly answer...it just ends being, "Christianity is stupid", "I don't believe in the bible",
    "It's all foolishness", etc. Okay. But guess what? That's not what was asked.

    The OP never gets what they came for...and again, I question why they came for it, in the first place. Study the bible for yourself.

    Stating that one does not believe in the bible is not the same as Christianity bashing. Also, I did not get the impression that the OP was strictly looking for a biblical/scholarly answer, as she did not ask to hear only from Christians or scholars of the bible. She asked "What do you all think?" Which led to responses from Christians and non-Christians alike. Perhaps she posed the question in such an open-ended manner in order to obtain different points of view.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    No, I didn't take your post as "bashing". You have a vast knowledge of Christian doctrine, as a Jew. I respect that.

    But see, I never understand why people seek guidance on CHRISTIAN principles from the masses...comprised primarily of folks who don't believe...that makes no sense to me.

    So, questions like these often never get a biblical/scholarly answer...it just ends being, "Christianity is stupid", "I don't believe in the bible",
    "It's all foolishness", etc. Okay. But guess what? That's not what was asked.

    The OP never gets what they came for...and again, I question why they came for it, in the first place. Study the bible for yourself. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but consider your audience, if you really want a biblical perspective.

    Well I certainly cannot give a valid arguement against what you've stated above. Given, I did make an effort to expound on the topic as briefly as I could here from a perspective based on the New Testament writings. That's why I gave the text reference in hopes the OP and others would go an read it if they desired.

    I love discussing religion and I didn't want to come in and just be like..."Christianity is stupid" and that's it. I wanted to try to give some background on Paul, the times, the custom, and the fact that many men after Paul's time have made his epistles into something they just aren't. Not to mention it's not always as cut and dry as the English translation of the text makes it seem. It's difficult to do that briefly..and especially in this setting because frankly it's a hair board..LOL!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Yltnelis wrote: »

    Stating that one does not believe in the bible is not the same as Christianity bashing. Also, I did not get the impression that the OP was strictly looking for a biblical/scholarly answer, as she did not ask to hear only from Christians or scholars of the bible. She asked "What do you all think?" Which led to responses from Christians and non-Christians alike. Perhaps she posed the question in such an open-ended manner in order to obtain different points of view.

    I never said that not believing in the bible is "bashing" Christianity. I said I HOPE this thread doesnt' turn into a "Christianity bashing" thread.

    It's one thing to say "I'm not a Christian", and another to say, "Christianity and the bible are hogwash!". The latter is bashing.

    What generally happens, when non-Christians (and even Christians) share, they never truly answer the question. They go around it, or give a general, "The bible can be misinterpreted", "People take the bible literally" type answer. We all know the bible is misquoted, misunderstood, taken literally when it shouldn't be, etc.

    The OP sounds like a Christian, who wants an understanding to help her with developing her own convictions about the teaching. In other words, the bible's position seems to matter to her, whether or not it matters to someone else.

    Marah answered the question - by providing a history on the doctrine, as someone who has studied Christian doctrine. She's a Jew. So, obviously I'm not saying non-Christians shouldn't comment. I don't tell people to comment/not comment in threads.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    *Marah* wrote: »
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    No, I didn't take your post as "bashing". You have a vast knowledge of Christian doctrine, as a Jew. I respect that.

    But see, I never understand why people seek guidance on CHRISTIAN principles from the masses...comprised primarily of folks who don't believe...that makes no sense to me.

    So, questions like these often never get a biblical/scholarly answer...it just ends being, "Christianity is stupid", "I don't believe in the bible",
    "It's all foolishness", etc. Okay. But guess what? That's not what was asked.

    The OP never gets what they came for...and again, I question why they came for it, in the first place. Study the bible for yourself. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but consider your audience, if you really want a biblical perspective.

    Well I certainly cannot give a valid arguement against what you've stated above. Given, I did make an effort to expound on the topic as briefly as I could here from a perspective based on the New Testament writings. That's why I gave the text reference in hopes the OP and others would go an read it if they desired.

    I love discussing religion and I didn't want to come in and just be like..."Christianity is stupid" and that's it. I wanted to try to give some background on Paul, the times, the custom, and the fact that many men after Paul's time have made his epistles into something they just aren't. Not to mention it's not always as cut and dry as the English translation of the text makes it seem. It's difficult to do that briefly..and especially in this setting because frankly it's a hair board..LOL!

    Well, I think it's best to avoid the "stupid" label...period, when discussing someone's religious beliefs.

    I also agree the hair boards aren't the best place to seek answers to these kind of questions.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    Yltnelis wrote: »

    Stating that one does not believe in the bible is not the same as Christianity bashing. Also, I did not get the impression that the OP was strictly looking for a biblical/scholarly answer, as she did not ask to hear only from Christians or scholars of the bible. She asked "What do you all think?" Which led to responses from Christians and non-Christians alike. Perhaps she posed the question in such an open-ended manner in order to obtain different points of view.

    I never said that not believing in the bible is "bashing" Christianity. I said I HOPE this thread doesnt' turn into a "Christianity bashing" thread.

    It's one thing to say "I'm not a Christian", and another to say, "Christianity and the bible are hogwash!". The latter is bashing.

    What generally happens, when non-Christians (and even Christians) share, they never truly answer the question. They go around it, or give a general, "The bible can be misinterpreted", "People take the bible literally" type answer. We all know the bible is misquoted, misunderstood, taken literally when it shouldn't be, etc.

    The OP sounds like a Christian, who wants an understanding to help her with developing her own convictions about the teaching. In other words, the bible's position seems to matter to her, whether or not it matters to someone else.

    Marah answered the question - by providing a history on the doctrine, as someone who has studied Christian doctrine. She's a Jew. So, obviously I'm not saying non-Christians shouldn't comment. I don't tell people to comment/not comment in threads.
    blankstarteo-vi.gif

    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm confused as to what your point is, NEA. I mean, I understand that you said that you hope this thread doesn't turn into a Christian bashing session like it does in Off Topic, but your concern doesn't seem warranted because 1. this isn't off topic. Many of the people in off-topic don't even post over here and there isn't a lot of craziness over here anyway (no shade, but shade). And 2. no one was bashing Christianity.

    It *sounds* like you're implying that people that are not academically versed in theology don't have valuable things to contribute to the topic. The question is "is big chopping against the bible?" and several people, including Marah, have answered the question, and quite eloquently IMO. All may not have the academic certification that Marah does, but they answered the question.

    There's no right answer to a question like this. Just like there's no right religious belief, or non religious belief. I'm not sure what the OP wanted out of this discussion, maybe it was to start some drama, but if anything she brought an interesting topic to our attention and it's worth discussing.

    I said "I cannot" because that was my reaction to reading the letter on CN. I had nothing else of value to add at the moment. I think it's ridiculous, personally. Am I right? I don't know. But I really don't care. Words on a piece of paper don't govern my morality. That's how I see it. If it governs yours (generally speaking) then do you, boo. No tea. I'm just sharing me and mines. It's one thing to impose your perspectives and beliefs onto others, which is what the guy in the letter was doing to the lady who BC'd, but when asked I will share what I think.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I was reading the comments on CN and pretty much agree with these 2 sentiments.

    This...
    K. said...
    People always pick the most interesting parts of the bible to obey it seems. The bible has some pretty strong words about fornication but I NEVER hear any man arguing about abstaining from it. SMH.

    And this...
    Anonymous said...
    This (the quoting of I Cor 11:14-15 in reference to a woman's hair choices) has bugged me for years. YEARS, I tell you. Even before I went natural this bugged me. :)

    Because everybody has their own interpretation I prefer to just go with the literal: I think it's safe to say that the ancient Corinthians didn't have short Afro hair as a general rule. Otherwise Paul would have said something else. His letters were meant for the people they were sent to, and as such they (like a large part of the Bible) aren't going to apply to all peoples, all over the world, in all situations.

    Just because he refers to long flowing hair in his letter (because that's the kind that "covers", right?) does not mean Afro-haired black folks are "less than" or have to "do more" to be considered acceptable in the eyes of God. To suggest otherwise is another form of programming designed to make black folks feel like they're lesser beings compared to whites specifically and non-blacks in general...and it has ALWAYS fascinated and annoyed me to see how blacks themselves participate in their own degrading (I mean that word literally: de-grade) by throwing that verse out when a woman makes a CHOICE to cut HER hair.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

    HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

    SL APL BSL MBL
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    Yes, I just wanted to hear some opinions on this! I have never in my life heard of anyone considering the BC against the Bible, and I found this a very interesting topic for discussion. I am a Christian myself, but as some of you said, picking and choosing verses and using that against someone is not right. Rather, as some of you mentioned, the Word should not always be taken literally, and the time period and customs at that time should be considered. I read all of your responses and found them very insightful. Did not want to stir anything!

    I didn't do the BC; I did a long transition and my relaxed ends broke off between harsh combing and straightening :angry3:. Normally though, BCing is the only way to become fully natural. It is not something done to deliberately go against God (as one or two of you mentioned, shaving your head off to disturb the order under God.) In fact, cutting your hair in order to be natural seems alright to me. After all, you are cutting the relaxed ends and leaving what God allowed to grow naturally out of your head.

    I said that I wasn't sure where I stood, because I am a Christian, but I just had a hard time considering the BC to be against the Bible. I now understand that it wasn't right for him (in the post) to use that verse on her with no backdrop. I also had a theology teacher who talked about taking the Bible literally, and how problems can arise from that. Thank you guys for your input.
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »

    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm confused as to what your point is, NEA. I mean, I understand that you said that you hope this thread doesn't turn into a Christian bashing session like it does in Off Topic, but your concern doesn't seem warranted because 1. this isn't off topic. Many of the people in off-topic don't even post over here and there isn't a lot of craziness over here anyway (no shade, but shade). And 2. no one was bashing Christianity.

    It *sounds* like you're implying that people that are not academically versed in theology don't have valuable things to contribute to the topic. The question is "is big chopping against the bible?" and several people, including Marah, have answered the question, and quite eloquently IMO. All may not have the academic certification that Marah does, but they answered the question.

    There's no right answer to a question like this. Just like there's no right religious belief, or non religious belief. I'm not sure what the OP wanted out of this discussion, maybe it was to start some drama, but if anything she brought an interesting topic to our attention and it's worth discussing.

    I said "I cannot" because that was my reaction to reading the letter on CN. I had nothing else of value to add at the moment. I think it's ridiculous, personally. Am I right? I don't know. But I really don't care. Words on a piece of paper don't govern my morality. That's how I see it. If it governs yours (generally speaking) then do you, boo. No tea. I'm just sharing me and mines. It's one thing to impose your perspectives and beliefs onto others, which is what the guy in the letter was doing to the lady who BC'd, but when asked I will share what I think.

    My points are I hope this stays on topic, and I hope the question gets answered, without a free-for-all on personal issues with Christianity. I often think folks don't really have anything really relevant to add. They just take an opportunity to share how ridiculous it all is - religion, Christanity, the bible, etc. That's annoying to me. Asking is BCing against the bible implies that the person wants an understanding of what the bible teaches about the issue. Perhaps I misinterpreted the question. I'm open to correction on that, because that's exactly how I took it.

    If you all you got out of what I said was I was implying that if you don't have a "scholarly" answer, you missed my point.. most definitely. My bad.

    Marah gave the most complete answer (imo)...not the only answer. Not saying you have to be a Moody Bible Institute graduate to tackle it, but seems to me one would come a little stronger than, "I don't believe the bible", which is not relevant, and which happens a lot when folks ask biblical questions. Just sayin'. The OP didn't ask if you believe what the bible teaches about cutting/big chopping hair. She asked is cutting/big chopping hair against the bible. I can say that. I just chose to be direct, rather than post my true feelings in SIIDY.

    You don't have to worry about "coming across the wrong way", because honestly, I (me) think when people preface a statement/statements with, "Please don't take this the wrong way", and then proceed, it's usually not a top concern that their words be interpreted in a particular way. They want to make their feelings known.

    I'm cool with that. It's all good.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Yes, I just wanted to hear some opinions on this! I have never in my life heard of anyone considering the BC against the Bible, and I found this a very interesting topic for discussion. I am a Christian myself, but as some of you said, picking and choosing verses and using that against someone is not right. Rather, as some of you mentioned, the Word should not always be taken literally, and the time period and customs at that time should be considered. I read all of your responses and found them very insightful. Did not want to stir anything!

    I didn't do the BC; I did a long transition and my relaxed ends broke off between harsh combing and straightening :angry3:. Normally though, BCing is the only way to become fully natural. It is not something done to deliberately go against God (as one or two of you mentioned, shaving your head off to disturb the order under God.) In fact, cutting your hair in order to be natural seems alright to me. After all, you are cutting the relaxed ends and leaving what God allowed to grow naturally out of your head.

    I said that I wasn't sure where I stood, because I am a Christian, but I just had a hard time considering the BC to be against the Bible. I now understand that it wasn't right for him (in the post) to use that verse on her with no backdrop. I also had a theology teacher who talked about taking the Bible literally, and how problems can arise from that. Thank you guys for your input.

    Thanks for clarifying your reason for asking, which is what I thought. You didn't stir anything. The topic of religion is stirring...all by itself.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    *Marah* wrote: »
    adthomas wrote: »
    You mentioned there was no scripture quoted. I saw a passage in the Bible that said to be a leader in the church a man must have only one wife so I wonder how the FLDS men talk their way out of that one?

    By doing the same nonsense others do..twist "Scripture" and create doctrine.. but they use the "Old Testament" to justify their tom foolery with several wives.

    The Scripture that is reference about woman's hair is 1 Corinthians 11. I stated that in my earlier post..if you'd like to read the text for yourself.

    I was responding to another poster. We must have been typing at the same time because I didn't see your post until after I was done.
    I'm Christian and I've sat in on Sunday school and worship services with Muslims and Jews. All they talked about was David and Abraham yadayadayada. Same old stuff as in church. And the Muslims also talked about Jesus although as a prophet and not devine. If we worship/love/fear the same God, I don't understand why that's not enough to bring us together instead of focusing on the differences that keep us fighting, bickering and killing each other for centuries.
    Do any of these three religions have stellar track record when it comes to women's equality? I don't think so.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    *Marah* wrote: »
    adthomas wrote: »
    You mentioned there was no scripture quoted. I saw a passage in the Bible that said to be a leader in the church a man must have only one wife so I wonder how the FLDS men talk their way out of that one?

    By doing the same nonsense others do..twist "Scripture" and create doctrine.. but they use the "Old Testament" to justify their tom foolery with several wives.

    The Scripture that is reference about woman's hair is 1 Corinthians 11. I stated that in my earlier post..if you'd like to read the text for yourself.

    I was responding to another poster. We must have been typing at the same time because I didn't see your post until after I was done.
    I'm Christian and I've sat in on Sunday school and worship services with Muslims and Jews. All they talked about was David and Abraham yadayadayada. Same old stuff as in church. And the Muslims also talked about Jesus although as a prophet and not devine. If we worship/love/fear the same God, I don't understand why that's not enough to bring us together instead of focusing on the differences that keep us fighting, bickering and killing each other for centuries.
    Do any of these three religions have stellar track record when it comes to women's equality? I don't think so.

    Nope.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    My points are I hope this stays on topic, and I hope the question gets answered, without a free-for-all on personal issues with Christianity. I often think folks don't really have anything really relevant to add. They just take an opportunity to share how ridiculous it all is - religion, Christanity, the bible, etc. That's annoying to me. Asking is BCing against the bible implies that the person wants an understanding of what the bible teaches about the issue. Perhaps I misinterpreted the question. I'm open to correction on that, because that's exactly how I took it.

    If you all you got out of what I said was I was implying that if you don't have a "scholarly" answer, you missed my point.. most definitely. My bad.

    Marah gave the most complete answer (imo)...not the only answer. Not saying you have to be a Moody Bible Institute graduate to tackle it, but seems to me one would come a little stronger than, "I don't believe the bible", which is not relevant, and which happens a lot when folks ask biblical questions. Just sayin'. The OP didn't ask if you believe what the bible teaches about cutting/big chopping hair. She asked is cutting/big chopping hair against the bible. I can say that. I just chose to be direct, rather than post my true feelings in SIIDY.

    You don't have to worry about "coming across the wrong way", because honestly, I (me) think when people preface a statement/statements with, "Please don't take this the wrong way", and then proceed, it's usually not a top concern that their words be interpreted in a particular way. They want to make their feelings known.

    I'm cool with that. It's all good.

    Ok, first let me address the last statement. I said "please don't take this the wrong way" because I didn't want you to think I was attacking you or belittling what you said in any way. So, I am concerned that my words be interpreted in a particular way, just as much as I want to convey my feelings.

    Secondly, I just want to stress the fact that I didn't say that religion is ridiculous. I'm not saying you said that I said that, but I just want to put that out there. However, I do think it's a relevant statement. To say it's not is unfair.

    As to the rest, this isn't an academic setting. Do we now need to consult a rubric to engage in intellectual discussion? The OP just said that she wanted opinions about this topic, and that's what she got. No one was warned against participating. And in asking if big chopping is against the bible, on an open forum, you're inviting opinions from all perspectives.

    I'm not good at passive aggressive and I try to just say it straight, so with that I won't go any further. I'm done with this conversation because I'm uncomfortable.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • tiama-xtiama-x Posts: 199Registered Users
    I'm sure you wont go to hell or get shunned from heaven by cutting your hair.. I'm sure God has more important things to worry about than a haircut.. mankind in general for example..

    I mean its not like getting a BC is the same as taking your life..
    "2 Something ATM"
    Coarse, Medium- Thick, Normal Porosity
    My Routine
    Low 'Poo: curash soothing oatmeal conditioning shampoo
    RO: tresemme naturals moisturising conditioner
    LI: tresemme naturals/kinky curly knot today
    Seal: mix of shea butter/coconut oil
    Goals
    waist length hair & finding a sexual cheapo leave in conditioner for both me and my daughter
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »

    Ok, first let me address the last statement. I said "please don't take this the wrong way" because I didn't want you to think I was attacking you or belittling what you said in any way. So, I am concerned that my words be interpreted in a particular way, just as much as I want to convey my feelings.

    It's all good.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
«134
This discussion has been closed.