BKT and shrinkage

For those of you that have had this done (particularly Type 3's), by what percentage would you say the treatment has reduced your shrinkage?
Type 3c/4a, Shoulder-length curly, BSB/BSL straight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
www.fotki.com/candy626

Comments

• HoneycurlsHoneycurls Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    Too many variables to answer this accurately.

Condition of hair
    Texture of hair
    Tightness of curl pattern
    Precision of application procedure
    Brand and type of keratin used
    Temperature of flat iron
    Number of times you're willing/able to apply or re-apply consecutive back-to-back treatments

In my particular situation, my 3c/4a shrinkage went from major to minor, but it took several consecutive applications before I was satisfied. If I had to guess at the percentage, I'd say it decreased shrinkage by about 85%. Ya, my hair is dramatically different from the pre-BKT days. Love it.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • candy626candy626 Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess there are a number of things that could affect results. I am color treated and mildly relaxed, but wearing my hair in its natural state 3c/4a state more often these days.

I've been back and forth about trying the BKT, to help slightly loosen my curls and reduce shrinkage. What brand did you use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.fotki.com/candy626
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    I use QOD Gold.

For what you want, one application of that should do the trick. Look up anything and everything written here by ~Ghost Poster~ because I followed her suggestions and her experience is virtually identical to mine--but, she took the time to chronicle everything so I didn't need to! There is a post on the front page of this section about BKT one year later. She didn't start it, but she posted in it and kind of summarized her two-year experience. But, she has a long thread that she started 2 years ago when she began her "BKT journey", which is pretty much what it has been--a journey. Hairguru's posts are also a good source of info.

Allegedly, the more damaged your hair, the better the BKT takes. My hair was virgin when I first started, except for some coloring that I had done just prior to the first BKT. There was just too much shrinkage with my hair in its natural state. It just wasn't flattering to my face. I almost have the hair I've always wanted now. It's not perfect and BKT is not for everyone, but I'm very happy.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • candy626candy626 Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thanks for you help! 8-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.fotki.com/candy626

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file