Does anyone else's hair take like, FOREVER to dry?!

My hair is driving me NUTS lately ! It's taking HOURS upon HOURS to dry ! Does anyone else experience this ? Is it the products I'm using ? Because when I don't condition/use any product, my hair dries literally in like 20mins (but of course it looks like it big poofball afterward so I tend to avoid that lol). I've done plopping and that doesn't really dry it either, it takes out most of the excess water but in the morning it's still just in these big, damp clumps.
Can anyone give me some insight as to what I could be doing wrong? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated .Thanks
~Thick ; Coarse ; FRIZZY ; Tight Waves & Curls ~
Low Poo / No Poo : V05 , Giovanni Smooth As Silk .
Conditioner : Suave Naturals, Giovanni Smooth As Silk .
Leave In : Shea Moisture Styling Milk .
Gel : LA Looks Curl Gel .

:wav:

Comments

• MissDarceiMissDarcei Registered Users Posts: 193
    It is the products. They are keeping the moisture in your hair. My hair takes over 12 hours to dry usually. Very annoying.
    3c Hair
    Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
    CG since August 2011
    :love4:Loving my hair!!!:love4:
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, its the products. Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive the more glycerin a product has, the longer the drying time, and of course if you layer products, the way most curlies do, that adds to the drying time (esp. if your multiple products have glycerin).

My hair is pretty porous so it takes a bit of time to dry, even w/o product in it, then add all the product in there, and it will take about 7-8 hours to air dry enough to where I can SOTC without frizz. I prefer to airdry but am realizing I need to diffuse unless I want to have wet hair most of the day. My ideal is to diffuse to about 50% dry and let it finish itself off; I can usually SOTC after an hour or so.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • Jas76Jas76 Registered Users Posts: 2,283 Curl Neophyte
    Mine always USED to take forever, but it's getting better! It's porous, so that's a big part of it for me, but I think as it's gotten into better and better condition the drying time is improving. It still takes a long time, though. And I do use glycerin - BUT, I actually use MORE glycerin than I used to, and my drying time has gone down, so I dont' think it's causing me too much of an issue.

That air drying time is a big part of why I diffuse! I'm not that patient, I don't want to go outside in the cold with wet hair, I don't want to sleep on wet hair, and sometimes if it's wet for too long it weighs down my curls!

GL!! I know it can be frustrating!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • MissDemeanor_MissDemeanor_ Registered Users Posts: 6
    Ohhh okay. Yeah I suspected that was probably it. I would diffuse, but my second day hair looks terrible then. I guess I'll try switching to some lighter products for a while and see how that works out. Thanks!

• MissDemeanor_MissDemeanor_ Registered Users Posts: 6
    MissDarcei wrote: »
    It is the products. They are keeping the moisture in your hair. My hair takes over 12 hours to dry usually. Very annoying.
    12 hours?! Omg that's insane lol! So what do you do while its drying all that time?

• LeeMayhemLeeMayhem Registered Users Posts: 98
    Omg! Me too. If I use kinky curly knot today with the custard, my hair will literally take an entire day to dry.
    3c Hair
    Wash:Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse
    Condition/Leave In:Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler:Kinky Curly Custard
    Moisture/Shine:Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade
    Deep Treatment:Kinky Curly Midnight Miracle
  • MissDarceiMissDarcei Registered Users Posts: 193
    MissDarcei wrote: »
    12 hours?! Omg that's insane lol! So what do you do while its drying all that time?

Lol I like to go take my dog for a walk or run errands if it's warm that helps speed up the process, otherwise I just sit at home. Usually by hour 10 its 90% dry but the roots on the inside wont dry until the next morning.
    3c Hair
    Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
    CG since August 2011
    :love4:Loving my hair!!!:love4:
  • islandballerinaislandballerina Registered Users Posts: 11
    Have any of ya'll tried using oil to help the drying process?
  • hambo02hambo02 Registered Users Posts: 480
    Have any of ya'll tried using oil to help the drying process?

for me oil makes the drying time worse. and If im using a heavy leave in condish takes for ever to dry as well.

usually in the summer time it only takes an hour to dry but in the winter i have to defuse because it takes 4 hours to dry. When my hair is long it takes forever too and thats why I cut it again to a bob. I hate it and miss my long hair so when It gets long again Ill just have to defuse.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Products containing a lot of oil or humectants like propylene glycol make my hair take hours to dry. If you cannot partially diffuse without frizz you may have the wrong balance between products that will give you hold, clumping and frizz control and products that just weigh your hair down or seal it.

Also as well as or instead of plopping you might try scrunching out the excess water: I find I get more even removal of water that way, just plopping takes water out more from the ends, drip drying from the roots.

Looking at your signature you don't seem to be using a leave in conditioner, just two styling products. The styling milk is heavy on oil but doesn't contain true conditioning agents like cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols. At least one of your two wash out conditioners is incredibly lightweight, overall I'd question if you are actually conditioning effectively and that is a key aspect of controlling frizz.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Registered Users Posts: 105
    I have the same drying time problem. I prefer my hair to air dry, but it takes 4+ hours for it dry enough to be socially acceptable! And diffusing isn't much of an option for me bc the heat even on cool setting) dries my hair out so bad and causes worse frizz than I already have!

If glycerin is the culprit, it makes total sense bc I just discovered a couple of products in my routine have glycerin and I wasn't aware. Today I'm going to buy a couple of glycerin free replacements to see if that helps.
    Mostly 2c
    Medium Width, Low Porosity (unsure), and Med-High Density
    Frizz is a huge problem for me

Routine currently undergoing maintenance.
    Low-Poo: PM Wild Ginger Awapuhi
    CO/RO: SN Coconut
    LI: GR Sleek & Shine
    Mousse: HETT
    Gel: HE Set Me Up
    Pomade: BedHead Manipulator
    DT: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Hair Likes: moisture, pineappling, scrunching
    Hair Dislikes: raking product in, glycerin
  • SoCal02SoCal02 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Same here I washed and plopped last night its been 12+ hours and its only 65%-70% dry 😫 It’s incredibly annoying
  • KINGsdaughterKINGsdaughter Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    thats cause your hair is a certain type porosity. i forget which one this is, but the 'Natural Hair Hair Growth eGuide Calendar' 2021 has a test for that and tells why and what to do about it i believe. it has 100 hair growth and natural hair care tips too! right now there's even a free code to get it free! use code (NHHG1FREE). its for the 2021 hair challenge too! https://www.naturalhairhairgrowth.com this should help you. enjoy!
  • jennie huntjennie hunt Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    It is the products. They are keeping the moisture in your hair. My hair takes over more than 12 hours to dry usually. I feel very annoying. When I used coditioner my hair get too much moisturised. In winters it is very difficult to dry hair.
  • sophiajamessophiajames Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Using organic products on our hair is always a better idea as they are far away from the traditional ingredients that might irritate your scalp. The organic products contain natural ingredients such as essential oils, fruit extracts, vitamins and proteins. The organic b2b hair products are great to promote hair health and make them silky soft. They are far better than those chemicals that may result in harm to your hair health. Not only the organic products make your hair strong but will also make it beautiful. Do you use the traditional hair products or the organic ones? https://www.cosmostuff.com/
  • valeriamoralesvaleriamorales Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Novice
    what are some organic brands you recommend?
    Mostly 3b but the underlayer is 3c. I have ??? porosity, medium density, medium thickness hair.
    Shampoo: Maui Moisture Lightweight Hydration+Hibiscus Water
    Conditioner: TRESemme Botanique Conditioner Nourish and Replenish Coconut and Aloe Vera       
    Mask: Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Hair Mask - Coconut 
    Leave ins: Cantu Moisturising Curl Activator Cream, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Milk   
    Gel: Eco Styling Gel with Argan Oil                                                                                                          Mousse: Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Mousse 
    I also use a dupe of the D4 Denman Brush 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file