So close to giving up. I need help!

I am ready to give up on my hair and just straighten it again. I have tried the curly girl method for almost a year on and off. My first try at CG I was overwhelmed by the amount of information and decided to run for the hills. The second time I tried I was doing it for about five months. It worked fairly well but I still had big issues. I thought this was possibly because my hair was very damaged from all the dying and hot irons I used before. So I decided to do a big chop and only left two inches of hair left. Now its grown back about five inches. My hair seems to be a lot more soft but i am having a very big problem with frizz. I have tried many different products and methods but still have a problem with frizz. What can I do to combat this frizz?!

Also another major problem for me when being CG is that I have bad dandruff. I have tried baking soda washes, Co washes and Apple Cider Vinegar washes but none seem to get rid of the dandruff. Only a harsh shampoo seems to do the job. What can I do? I really want to say CG but at this rate I am going crazy!

Hair properties

3B,fine, low porosity,

Comments

• KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    About the dandruff: some people swear by coconut or jojoba oil. It may somewhat depend on what is causing your dandruff. But it wouldn't hurt to try it. You could try leaving some oil on scalp/hair for a few hours or overnight, then rinse out. Others should have other (possibly better ... ) ideas for you too. Good luck!
  • xwhirlycurlyxxwhirlycurlyx Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you. I will try that out and see how it works.
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't speak to the dandruff but I also have fine, 3b hair. My best frizz fighter is glycerin. I first tried KY jelly after reading about it here. It worked well for me. I don't use KY any more but I use products with glycerin. My favorites are LOOB, EcoStyler Krystal and homemade FSG with glycerin and honey added in. Some curlies say that glycerin can be drying - especially in low dews, or the drier colder months. I've not found that to be a problem for me.

I'm also very careful to keep my hands and fingers out of my hair while it's drying. I air dry whenever possible and don't touch it while it's drying. If I need to speed up the process by diffusing, I use some extra gel so I'm not blowing my curls around.

I'm learning to accept a little frizz on some days. Not every day will be perfect!

Let us know what works for you!
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you. I will try that out and see how it works.

Good luck! Hope it works out well for you :D
  • debbahdebbah Posts: 48Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    About the dandruff: some people swear by coconut or jojoba oil. It may somewhat depend on what is causing your dandruff. But it wouldn't hurt to try it. You could try leaving some oil on scalp/hair for a few hours or overnight, then rinse out. Others should have other (possibly better ... ) ideas for you too. Good luck!

Also, check out this link: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/trying-shampoo-free-method/67748-dandruff-vs-dry-scalp.html?highlight=dandruff - this is a pretty good discussion/article about how what most people think is dandruff isn't really dandruff but dry scalp (and that using harsh shampoos will actually make dry scalp much worse). I have also found that if you're trying to go full CG and are not really careful about what products you use that you can pretty quickly get product buildup (which causes little white flakes that look a lot like dandruff but are not). Be sure if you're only doing no-poo or co-wash that you avoid products with silicones (ingredients ending in -cone) which will build up if you aren't using a harsh shampoo.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    CG since September 2011

Type: 2c/3a
    Texture: medium-ish
    Porosity: normal to low
    Density: THICK!

Co-wash: OC
    Cond/Leave-in: OC
    Style: MOP Curl Defining Cream, Angel, Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    SOTC: MOP Glisten pomade, Aveda Humectant Pomade

Looking for: good curl definition, clumping and no frizz

http://momwhoworks.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment