Modified CG?

KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
Maybe I didn't search well enough, but I've seen reference on multiple occasions to modified CG. How does one do a modified CG? Is it a shampoo with CG-friendly shampoo product every couple of days and conditioner-wash in between, or........how's it done?
fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.

Comments

• teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    Modified CG happens when people try CG and decide that there is one or more aspects of it that doesen't quite work for their hair. For example, needing cones or an occasional shampoo. The amount of variance from the "true" CG routine varies a lot between people. For example I'd probally call myself a modified CGer because I shampoo weekly and sometimes use products that have cones (which add to needing the shampoo I suppose), but otherwise follow a relatively CG friendly routine.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
    teela1978 wrote:
    Modified CG happens when people try CG and decide that there is one or more aspects of it that doesen't quite work for their hair. For example, needing cones or an occasional shampoo. The amount of variance from the "true" CG routine varies a lot between people. For example I'd probally call myself a modified CGer because I shampoo weekly and sometimes use products that have cones (which add to needing the shampoo I suppose), but otherwise follow a relatively CG friendly routine.

Ok, thanks a bunch!

One thing I noticed in the book itself is that the author does not mandate the elimination of silicones, but does suggest it. It looks like the CG has been made to have a higher standard than what the author originally wrote, it seems. However, I can see where certain products definitely would make following the routine much, much easier and would be more compatible to eliminate the shampoo if they work for certain hair types.

I was going to say I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the silicones.........the products that work the best for me have either wax or silicones, and that would necessitate shampoo. However, I really haven't given the CG routine a really good go and I certainly would like to do that. Once I can leave the house to buy a good clarifying shampoo that's CG friendly, then I can really give it a better go.

Thanks again, Teela!
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    At the time LM wrote CG she "suggested" avoiding silicones but not long after in chats right at this site she made it clear 'cones were to be totally avoided and especially when properly following "full" CG as there is usually NO need for them. Of course, we all do what we want to do, sometimes if we use very synthetic products the hair rebels, especially during a sudden weather change, but the truth is that 'cones only have temporary benefit. If those of us who have been on CG for a long time believed using 'cones regularly had given us better hair, why would we have changed in the first place???

Here's a thread that may throw a little more light on the subject for you: http://www.naturallycurly.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1074876#1074876
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
    At the time LM wrote CG she "suggested" avoiding silicones but not long after in chats right at this site she made it clear 'cones were to be totally avoided and especially when properly following "full" CG as there is usually NO need for them. Of course, we all do what we want to do, sometimes if we use very synthetic products the hair rebels, especially during a sudden weather change, but the truth is that 'cones only have temporary benefit. If those of us who have been on CG for a long time believed using 'cones regularly had given us better hair, why would we have changed in the first place???

Here's a thread that may throw a little more light on the subject for you: http://www.naturallycurly.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1074876#1074876

Yep, that shed an awful lot of light on it. Thanks. :D :idea:
  • curlyevcurlyev Registered Users Posts: 246
    I say if you need cones here and there, okay, but make sure to shampoo/clarify more often. Also, if the cone has PPG or PEG in front of it, it's safe to use. I'm still trying to learn the whole CG thing, and I think it's just trial and error to see what works. Adding all the moisture has an amazing effect though! ;)
    -3A, fine, very thick, normal por., normal elast., long, dye- free (CG since Nov. '11)
    -Low poo (As needed): CVS Argan Oil Renewing Shampoo
    -RO: GVP The Detangler
    -Styling: LALSG
    -PT: ION Effective Care (seldom)
    *I have learned that sometimes less is more when it comes to my hair*
    :love6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file