Baking soda&ACV disaster

Hi all,

I'm sulfate and silicone free and I usually do co-washes.

I recently got my hair colored and since they used cones in the salon, I decided to do a baking soda and apple cider vinegar wash to get the cones out - which I read somewhere would work. I first did baking soda to CG friendly conditioner 1:4 and then ACV to water 1:5. Does anyone know if that does remove cones, similar to how a sulfate shampoo would?

Anyway, the day after I did the BS&ACV, an entire layer of something came off of my scalp. It was white, and came off in huge sections. It looked a lot like when your scalp is sunburned and it peels off - it comes in big sections and you can see where each hair follicle came through. Do any of you know what this was?! Was it the BS/ACV? I just don't understand what I did wrong.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    upsided wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm sulfate and silicone free and I usually do co-washes.

I recently got my hair colored and since they used cones in the salon, I decided to do a baking soda and apple cider vinegar wash to get the cones out - which I read somewhere would work. I first did baking soda to CG friendly conditioner 1:4 and then ACV to water 1:5. Does anyone know if that does remove cones, similar to how a sulfate shampoo would?

Anyway, the day after I did the BS&ACV, an entire layer of something came off of my scalp. It was white, and came off in huge sections. It looked a lot like when your scalp is sunburned and it peels off - it comes in big sections and you can see where each hair follicle came through. Do any of you know what this was?! Was it the BS/ACV? I just don't understand what I did wrong.

Thanks for any and all advice!

It does sound like your scalp was burned then flaked off, either from the hair color or from the BS/ACV, which sounds pretty strong to me.
    when I do that I use 1tsp BS in a big glass of water, pour through the hair and rinse out, then 1Tbsp ACV in a big glass of water, pour through the hair and rinse out.

Let me say, also, that back when I used to color, my scalp would flake like that two or three days after the color job. I would use Queen Helene Cholersterol
    as a deep hair and scalp treatment, and it would always be OK after that. I'm pretty sure in my case it was from color, since it happened every time.
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also, baking soda can strip hair color. :(

I hope your hair and scalp is ok!

I don't do BS scrubs, but I dilute my ACVs 1:16.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • upsidedupsided Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks everyone!

I thought using the BS/ACV method would be more gentle on my hair than just using a sulfate shampoo, but I guess I was wrong.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    woow never heard of that before! you might want to do a nice relaxing scalp treatment, to settle it and help it asap

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file