We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Protective Styling is IMPOSSIBLE!

I think protective styling is a lie made up by the devil. Yeah, I said it. I do not believe you can put a style in your hair that is low to no manipulation and you are able not to bother it for days or weeks on end. If you tell me that you can keep twists, braids, buns, or a wig on your head consistently for more than two days, I am going to call you a liar. You guys will fool me no more. :cwm10:

I keep trying so hard to protective style, but my spirit gets disturbed when I say, "I'm going to put twists in my hair and give it a break for a little while." I go to sleep at night and dream of wash & gos, twistouts, braid outs... even a flexirod set or two.

I am physically and mentally unable to allow myself to protective style my hair!

Why is that??? I have these braids that I put in about 5 days ago and I am sitting over here shaking, sweating, and scratching myself from hair style withdrawl. Yes I have done different things with the braids but my mind knows the reason I put them in: PROTECTIVE STYLE. I should be stronger than this but I just can't do it. angry9:

Please tell me I am not the only one and you guys just made up this whole thing about protective styling to play an evil trick on me. LoL

I have no idea how any of you successfully do it. :(

Comments

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    I am watching this thread because it is my issue exactly. I think these women with awesome hair have made up this lie to make me feel inadequate about my inability to do any protective style I can leave the house in and to keep it in for several days even if I could leave the house.

I really think that sometimes.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    I lasted 3 weeks so proud of myself.

tonight I will be washing and doing twists for a twistout tomorrow,

i will say Im getting a weave on saturday, I might make it to a month with it.
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    LOL!!! I pretty much feel the same way - I feel uncomfortable when I can't "check" on my hair - touch it, wash it, etc. The longest I've ever left twists in is like four days, and I can bun, but I have to redo my bun everyday.

Honestly - the best "protective" style for me is when I flat iron my hair, because I leave it alone for like two weeks, and usually leave it in a bun during the week.

I can also deal with it longer when I'm really busy and don't have time to do my hair. But on the regular I'm like...I need to do mah hurrr!!!
    People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?

- AmberBrown
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    I think protective styling is a lie made up by the devil. Yeah, I said it. I do not believe you can put a style in your hair that is low to no manipulation and you are able not to bother it for days or weeks on end. If you tell me that you can keep twists, braids, buns, or a wig on your head consistently for more than two days, I am going to call you a liar. You guys will fool me no more. :cwm10:

I keep trying so hard to protective style, but my spirit gets disturbed when I say, "I'm going to put twists in my hair and give it a break for a little while." I go to sleep at night and dream of wash & gos, twistouts, braid outs... even a flexirod set or two.

I am physically and mentally unable to allow myself to protective style my hair!

Why is that??? I have these braids that I put in about 5 days ago and I am sitting over here shaking, sweating, and scratching myself from hair style withdrawl. Yes I have done different things with the braids but my mind knows the reason I put them in: PROTECTIVE STYLE. I should be stronger than this but I just can't do it. angry9:

Please tell me I am not the only one and you guys just made up this whole thing about protective styling to play an evil trick on me. LoL

I have no idea how any of you successfully do it. :(

Sings *You are not alone* I have been racking my brain on how I can keep a PS in my head. Since I went natural the longest I can keep my hair in a PS is 3wks and even then I take out a piece of hair to play in. When you figure out how to do it plz let me know :D
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• curlytrixycurlytrixy Posts: 19Registered Users
    I stop fighting with my hair and just let it be, when I use to use combs on wash day I did a lot of twist and braids for protective style and I also did a lot of braid outs. Now these were good and my hair did grow but if it was raining and I had in a braid out I worried about becoming a puff ball. I leave the house looking all cute and then my hair decides to grow an afro and that’s all good but not for work.

Now that I stop using combs/brush I wash and finger detangle this way I have more curl definition, then apply my products twist or braid hair and undo when my hair is dry, now I could go out in the rain and not have to think what my hair will turn into because it’s in its natural curly pattern. That is as protective as I get these days. I wear a bun one day, one braid in the back another, out and wild on the weekends and this works out best for my hair.
  • CurleeLadeeTeeCurleeLadeeTee Posts: 108Registered Users
    I know how you feel. If I wear twists for too long, my hair will start to lock and I hate taking my hair down after being braided. There was a post on CurlyNikki about how to make twists last longer and still get styling flexibility. It went something like this:
    1. Wear twists for a few days
    2. Take twists down for a twist out
    3. Turn twist out into an updo.
    I'm trying that this week. You get the styling flexibility while keeping the manipulation at a minimum.
    Last Relaxer: June 6, 2009
    Big Chop: December 20, 2009
    Hair Type: ultra fine strands, ultra dense, high porosity
    Co-Wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Sealers: Castor Oil, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil
    DC: Tresemme Nat. w/ EVOO
    PT: Tresemme Nat. w/ EVOO and 1 eg
    Stylers: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Long Aid, Curlz Creme Brulee
    Clarifiers: KCCC
    Leave In: Still Experimenting!!:confused3:

Curls, coils, BDBs, and cuck-a-bucks--I have them all and I love them. . .because they're mine!:afro: :love5:
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I lasted 3 weeks so proud of myself.

tonight I will be washing and doing twists for a twistout tomorrow,

i will say Im getting a weave on saturday, I might make it to a month with it.

I was counting down to week three with the yarn braids!!!

Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,748Registered Users Curl Novice
    If my edges would all me to wear kinky twists or micro braids I would protective style all the time.

I personally love playing in my hair but my very limited skills keep me from a lot of styles.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    I just can't help but feel the need to touch my hair, condition, detangle etc .

I agree that the only time I leave my hair somewhat is when its straight but even then ...
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I will wear a wig over my twists but I think the longest i have left twists in is 3 days. The main reason is my hair likes to be washed or at least rinsed thru every 2 or 3 days. And i rinse if i work out hard and with it getting colder the dandruff is starting up more. If i washed it with the twists in i think they would get water logged and unravel. I dont think i could go weeks without detangling or getting the shed hairs out.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users
    Gurl dats RIGHT! *Let em know! Them be the saaame ones runnin round talkin bout a shampoo left their hair moisturized! Feelin soft!! *Dats cray cray! Liars! All of em! Hahahahahaha i feel your pain Foxy. *Last night it took me 3+ hours to put in these twists, and ioneven like em. If I can go seven days I'll be SHOCKED.*
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    Lol, I guess it just has to do with you as an individual. I personally can go for days without doing a thing to my hair (well, except the occasional moisturizing and sealing of course.) It only gives me more time to do other things. I can also manipulate my hair, a lot, if I want to. Constant manipulation is the thing that can cause breakage for some naturals, which is why protective styling was introduced. While I don't think it's impossible to protective style, as I have been doing so for one out of the two years I've been natural with much success, I do agree that it all depends on how much you feel the need to touch and manipulate your own hair. I most certainly can keep a bun or whatever in my hair for 2+ days. Sometimes, it just feels good when my hair the least of my worries.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I practically live in protective styles. I wear twists most of the time throughout the year. I wear them pretty much all the time lately because it's getting cold and I just don't have the time or energy to be fussing with a twist out everyday.

I'm going to be doing braids, with my own hair, the rest of the cold months and wear my hat or head wraps. I love twists, but braids keep my hair stretched and they don't let my hair tangle like twists do when left in for long periods of time.

The main reason I protective style is because I'm not very style proficient. I can't do much with my hair, besides twist and braid it. Plus, I don't have time. I can't multitask when I'm doing my hair so styling daily is not in the cards for me.

I am pretty good at twisting, I must say. That I have down. :cool:
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    i'm the same way. i've not counting lazy, messy, bad hair day buns, i've protective styled like 3 times in 4 years. 2 of those times, i had a friend spend HOURS (like... for than twelve) braiding/ kinky twisting my hair, just to take them out like 2 or 3 weeks later. i can't do it... it feel like a punishment.

oh, the 3rd time i did mini twists on my real hair... it looked to scalpy, so i took them out
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know about people not touching their hair at all with protective styling but I know for a fact many women of color do indeed leave their hair in certain "protective" styles for days and months on end and that's if they are natural or relaxed. I do think they touch it though..they just don't take it down from whatever style they have it in.

I personally can't live like that.. I like my hair. I don't want it hidden away. To me it defeats the purpose if I can't fully enjoy my hair. But that's me. I wash n go daily though so I could be biased.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Posts: 304Registered Users
    Protective styling is like fasting. You can go a day, a few hours, whatever, without eating, but the minute you CHOOSE to fast, you're starving! Same with PSing. You can leave your hair well enough alone, but once you determine that you're going to PS for xx amount of time, you want to be all up in your hair. It's the nature of the beast.

I used to twist weekly, because I liked to do my hair but didn't want to manipulate it every day. Yeah, umm, that contributed to my having carpal tunnel in both wrists. So now those twists will last for 3 weeks come h*ll or high water, because I can't physically do them more often. The desire has dropped immensely.

If you're able to reach your goals without PSing, then more power to you. If not, then it becomes a matter of what's more important, and you just go from there.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Yea I touch mine. I moisturize it daily. Protective styling isn't about neglecting the hair, it's just low manipulation and for me it adds to manageability. Out styles for certain curl patterns and hair textures is just not conducive to preservation of the hair.

A wash and go may technically be low manipulation, it just isn't easy to manage my hair in a completely unmanipulated state. I can't apply product in mass like that. And Idk what it is about twisting my hair that makes it hold on to moisture, but even applying product and leaving it be just does not work for me. Letting my hair shrink up on itself would be the end of my hair.

I love my hair in twists. That's how I enjoy my hair. I love it in a fro too but I just can't do that all the time, especially now.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    Its possible but I hate the tangles I get!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
  • JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    My friend's hair is longer than mine even though she gets it pressed every 2 weeks I get mine every 3 weeks...but in the summer I leaves her braids in for 2 and a half months.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
  • TimeMacchineTimeMacchine Posts: 37Registered Users
    I :love7: protective styling. I'm so friggin lazy so I benefit from that.
    I have kinky twists since September and I'm gonna take it out next week. And I'm kinda sad though :( I love my hair but I hate styling it sometimes. sigh. My hair flourishes this way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The LazyNatural
    :glasses7:
  • bobo77bobo77 Posts: 105Registered Users
    I am sooo feeling this thread. I put twists into my hair and the most they last is 3 days. I want so bad to put some kinky twists into my hair for the winter time to protect and allow to grow because my hair grows quick when it's in braids and twists. I even have the bags of kinky twist hair in my closet. BUT,,,,,, anytime i think of actually putting them in I think about how I won't be able to do my hair and all of the products I want to try out and if my currnet products would go bad. OH MY GOODNESS. It is truly ashame. Seriously. Maybe next winter. Hee hee
    Lovin my coils and my straight PJ'ism
    Been natural for about 3 years but Bc'd July 2010
    FAVORITE PRODUCTS:
    Oyin hair dew,CJSL, AOMM,OSHP
    Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
    Bed Head moisture maniac
    Jojoba oil,Amla oil,AVPWHG,
    Ojon restorative hair treatment
    Mozeke CHB, Fleurzty CNC
    CurlyKinks Coil Jam, Satin Roots
    Nubian Heritage Mango butter
    Ok ok ok........I'll stop for now.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Faunaturalbounette.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • tbabyytbabyy Posts: 570Registered Users
    If my edges would all me to wear kinky twists or micro braids I would protective style all the time.

I personally love playing in my hair but my very limited skills keep me from a lot of styles.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

+1 a lot of naturals know how to put in their own yarn braids, do flat twists, cornrows and etc and I can do none of the above so...as far as protective styling goes.... It's moot.

"My Evo thinks its smarter than me."
    b04fbffc-52c8-49d6-a7f1-77140040642d.jpg

LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY! :toothy7:
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
    It's not THAT bad lol.

My PS last's about 2 weeks and that's fine for me. I twist my hair then wear twist outs the following week. That way I keep my hair out of my hands for 2 weeks :)

I wouldn't mind braids or kinky twists extentions but my hair is getting longer and I don't trust myself not to ruin my ends when I take them out.
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    The most "protective styling" I might do is probably just a loose bun or pony tail. Other than that, the most common protective styles (twists, braids, cornrows) just don't look good on me. Too scalpy. I'll continue to stick with what works for me, and that's wngs & 5-second styles (pony/bun).
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • HomeGrownHairGirlHomeGrownHairGirl Posts: 296Registered Users
    I'm with the OP; I can't stand prolonged protective styling.

My twists do not stay in for more than 2 days without unraveling and looking wack.

I generally style my hair on a daily basis. The only exception is buns; which I will keep in for 2 days max, then restyle.

Notwithstanding, what is the point of having hair if you can't have fun with it? :headbang: :afro:
  • EdenRoseEdenRose Posts: 181Registered Users
    i agree. I had cornrows for about 3 weeks did get a good amount of growth. hoping to get braids for dec. i honestly give it to feb at the longest but we'll see.

sometimes i just miss my seeing my own hair. it's kinda like putting your kid in daycare almost. i wanna check in on it and make sure it's okay lol.

but i am a believer on the benefit of it lol. but it is hard
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FLov3Revolution" class="Popup

Last Relaxer-March 2011
    :occasion2:BC- 7-11-2011
    When you get the choice to sit out or dance, I hope you dance <3

Hair Type: ?
    Tons of whirls and curls and coils on my head. My hair's sometimes my best friend and other times we're at odds. But either way it's curls to the end. No need for a relaxer cause there's no reason to stress, my tresses are at their best
    :wav:

Length goal : Shoulder Length :)

• LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I'm so feeling this. I don't hate PS and there are times that I wish I could do it as sometimes I don't feel like styling my hair. However, my hair really isn't suited for it. Certain protective styles don't look good on me as they're too scalpy. And I can't do full buns because my edges are thin and fragile and they'll stress them too much. The laziest I can get with my hair this time of year is doing a chunky fro.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I just came out of locs, so I can't do twists or braids just yet. LoL!

Jen :D

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk App

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    my hair HATES protective styling with fake hair. i got my hair done twice at a braiding salon. my hair broke off so much that i only have 1" of growth to show vs my hair's length last year when i basically did wng or twist styles. i really treated my hair with TLC and it still just broke off.

at least with my own twists, i can still touch my hair and take them down easily to wash and moisturize (altho they unravel in the front and back). haven't figured out what product will make them stay on those textures.

my hair also hated buns as protective styling = breakage

my hair hates everything except leaving it alone :angry1:

i look ridic trying to do a twist out or braid out too

all i can do is :sign5:

edited to add: in my relaxer days, i used to get individual braids with fake hair. my hair grew like a weed. idk what goes wrong now.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    I am not that big on protective styling. Like Hippychic, my hairline is too fine and unravel while wearing two strand twists. The other areas are not much better. They look like they have been in for 4 weeks when they were only in for 1 week. I don't like wigs, weaves or extensions, so that is not an option. I do wear buns but that is during times of laziness instead of ps. I also have to be careful with the hairline when wearing buns.

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file