CG BAD!

I've been doing CG for...maybe...6 months now and my hair has never been better! I've been using Moroccanoil original oil and Moroccanoil shine spray, along with R&B from Lush. Anyways, I've been rinsing my hair with conditioner so I haven't been completely CG. But because of the cones in the oil there has been some build up in my hair.

Tonight I did a "bali oil restorative hair treatment" by live clean, which, as far as I can tell has no cones nor any sulphates (it also 98% plant derived). I then used baking soda and ACV rinse and oh my god :pukeleft: IT WAS AWFUL.

The baking soda, I could actually feel it yanking my hair and damaging it. What I did was put it in, then let it sit for one minute and then scrubbed it out, I pored my hair down with the ACV and my hair still felt so awful I had to use shampoo twice to just get my hair feeling sort of normal and not so greasy again.

I think the mask I used might have caused some of the yanking and pulling, so I am willing to try using the baking soda and ACV one more time. I have a few questions though:

1. If I use the baking soda and ACV once a week will that prevent cone build up? (the only cones are cyclomethicone and dimethicone)

2. I have 2c hair, are there any other 2cs out there who find the baking soda works for them?

3. When I don't use the baking soda and ACV should I still rinse my hair with conditioner? Maybe a cone free one? Any recommendations?

4. I work out a lot, at least once a day, will that effect the method?

5. Will I stink? ACV is awful!

Thanks so much guys, I know I have a lot of questions, I just want nice hair (:

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Girl, you are not CG at all with these products! It is perfectly okay not to be CG. I just want to make certain you know what you are using.

Here is the ingredient deck for the MoroccanOil:

Cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, cyclomethicone, argania spinosa, kernel oil (argan oil), linseed (linum uitatissimum) extract, fragrance, D&C yellow-11, D&C Red-17

Everything bolded is a cone. The first 3 ingredients (basically the bulk of what the product is).

Here is the Shine Spray:
    Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Argania Spinoza Kernel Oil, Fragrance (Supplement), Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Germ Oil, Panthenol, D&C Red no.17, D&C Yellow no.11.

Again, cone city!

With all of the oils in the Lush product and the Bali product it is no wonder you have build up! Unless you are washing with a pretty hefty cleanser you are not removing all the cones and oils. No conditioner cleanse will get that all off.
    ACV rinse will help but if you really want to be CG, I'd dump all the cone laden products that are tricking you into believing that your hair is conditioned, smoothed and shiny.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    ITA!!

doing a no-poo wont remove cones. You need to use a sulfate shampoo. if your hair felt oily after doing the no-poo. It was because of the cone laden products, not the baking soda or acv.

as far as the smell, remember not to use 100% acv, I do a 50/50 acv/water mix. i then put in my leave in. i have no acv smell. put i like the smell so it wouldnt bother me anyway.

Good luck!
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    After reading this again I wonder if what you are saying is Conditioner Only Cleansing (COC rather than CG) is bad for you rather than CG is bad for you. A lot of people assume that CG means Conditioner Only Cleansing. It can include that but that is not what it is.
    I am CG to the bone (NO sulfates and NO silicones-even water-soluble ones) and I cleanse with a cone and sulfate free lowpoo. That is good news if you need more than conditioner to cleanse.

And you will if you wish to continue with these products with which you have had success.
    CG since 7/1/2010

• Curlybird650Curlybird650 Posts: 12Registered Users
    justajesuschick, thanks so much! I'm a little bit confused, at one point you say that I need a sulfate shampoo to remove these products, but then in the next post you say I don't? I've been thinking of using SheaMoisture Shampoo which is sulfate and silicone free, will that work in preventing buildup? The only trouble is, SheaMoisture doesn't ship to Canada, so I guess I would need to use something different.
    justajesuschick, thanks so much! I'm a little bit confused, at one point you say that I need a sulfate shampoo to remove these products, but then in the next post you say I don't? I've been thinking of using SheaMoisture Shampoo which is sulfate and silicone free, will that work in preventing buildup?

Sorry to be confusing.

I am saying that you will need a pretty intense cleanser to remove all the oils and cones that you are using to avoid build up. The products that you are using make you NON-CG.

What I meant in the next post is that I do not use cones of any kind but I cannot conditioner cleanse. I use a sulfate and cone free shampoo "lowpoo" and that still makes me "CG".

If you wish to go fully CG, you will need to start with a sulfate shampoo (NO cones in it) and then use styling products without cones.

There is no law about being CG, however. If you enjoy the products that you currently use, you'll just not be able to avoid build up with conditioner cleansing.
    CG since 7/1/2010

Ahhh, okay I understand now. I just used a two in one shampoo conditioner...yuck. I don't want to return to sulfates and if I have to drop cones on the way thats fine by me!

After I do a "final-shampoo" how should I use the baking soda and acv? I've heard a lot of different things. And will this work for people who work out a lot? Like, sometimes twice a day?
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm only about 2 weeks into full CG, but I can relate to some of your questions. I also work out A LOT. I do martial arts and train almost everyday, so my biggest concern was also whether or not my hair would still feel clean. I'm still doing a lot of playing around with product, but I'm finding that a low-poo once or twice a week seems to be enough and that a co-wash with a light conditioner works the rest of the time (so far I've had very good results with Suave Naturals and KC Knot Today). I tried the BSC and ACV once and I'm still feeling lukewarm about it. I didn't have a bad experience, but It wasn't what I was expecting based on what I've read here. My curl type is between a 2c and 3a, but and my hair is pretty long and thick. I can also say that my hair has been the major topic of conversation at work since I made the switch- I have never gotten so many compliments! I hope this helps. :icon_smile:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • irociroc Curl Neophyte Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Regardless of what you want to call it, you can't use silicones and not use a sulfate shampoo.

If you use products with silicones in them (like most products have) you would need to cleanse with an actual shampoo. You could probably get away with only shampooing every other, or every 2 days.

If you're not using a lot of heavy oils, and not using silicones, your not going to have a lot of buildup for dirt and bacteria to stick to, so using a sulfate shampoo is not necessary. You can water wash, or conditioner wash with a light conditioner, or use a sulfate free shampoo - scrubbing with fingers and friction is important.

I find that I don't get build up from amodimethicone, or dimethicone (if it's farther down on the list). I absolutely can not use cyclomethicone, or cyclopentasiloxane. No matter how much I think I want a product, as soon as I see those I put it back. And I use shampoo!

So you could mix up your routine as long as you follow those basic properties.

Using my iphone with my toe thumbs. There will be typos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I can also say that my hair has been the major topic of conversation at work since I made the switch- I have never gotten so many compliments!/QUOTE]

So what you are saying that is even though you don't really like using bs and acv your hair still looks good?

iroc, i'm not sure what you mean by "low poo"
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The BSC and ACV are good for removing build-up. I did notice some improvement, but I don't really think it made that much of a difference. I'm probably going to see how my hair does without it this week. A low-poo is a sulfate-free shampoo, which can also be used to remove build-up. It's stronger than just doing a co-wash but not as strong or drying as regular shampoo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    no poo- no shampoo, just baking soda and acv

low poo- washing your hair using conditioner. usually a bit water down or gentle shampoo.

if you use anything with cones, you have to use a sulfate shampoo to remove them.

removing build up, doing no poo or low poo is usually good enough.

no-poo or loo poo will remove cones.
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm wondering what mixture of BS to water you used to make your BS paste, and how much you diluted your ACV? It should not have smelled after you rinsed it out unless it wasn't diluted enough.

I don't do BS (though I've been tempted lately to try) but I do ACVs all the time and my hair loves them. IMO, one does not need to always do a BS scrub in order to do an ACV. I dilute my ACV basically 1:16, though of course I don't actually measure it. It's roughly 1TB to 1c of water. I use a large mug, and pour in about 1 1/2 TBS.
    So my ACV routine is about once a week, and goes:
    low poo
    ACV
    DT
    rinse with cold water
    LI
    stylers

I am thinking of replacing the low poo with the BS scrub just to see if my hair likes it though. I don't use cones in my stylers, so I don't really have a problem with build up (I'm hoping to phase out the CIAB, which does have a water soluble cone, if I can find something that is cheaper to replace it with), but I do work out and like to get my sweaty scalp clean. :)
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file