Insulted by Professor

curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
I am LIVID.

This morning, I had a meeting with one of my professors, and while we were talking she caught a glimpse of the background image on my laptop (a picture of Ligia Rodrigues), and commented on it. I told her that was my goal length for my hair.

She proceeded to tell me: "You have way too pretty of a face to be wearing your hair in a mop like that."

:shock::angryfire::angry5:

I told her that I had been working on getting my hair like this for a long time, and that it's important to me. She told me to live out my dream, and that I'd eventually come to my senses and cut it.

:banghead::protest::evil:

Because she is my professor and I need to do well in this class, I refrained from speaking my mind further.

I do NOT have a close relationship with this lady. This was a completely unsolicited and rude comment.
:sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had more than one run-in with my profs in college that made me want to give them a piece of my mind. It's unfortunate, because I know some who still think of themselves as "teachers" and try to be supportive and not judge or let their own biases slip out in rude, unsolicited critiques.

Be angry for now. It was rude. Her opinion would be better kept to herself. Maybe she thought it was helpful (pretty face, but I think you need a different haircut...) but the phrasing was all wrong! And the lack of a close relationship makes it a little weird to bring up at all.

I have this clipped to my refrigerator: The best revenge is to be so fabulously over the whole thing that you couldn't care less.

And then ace her class and avoid her in the future if you can. It would be a total breach of professionalism if a professor graded a student based on bias, but it happens. You took the high road by holding your tongue. Your prof could learn that about tact from you.
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That is not cool, not cool at all. I always wonder what makes someone open their mouth and give unsolicited criticism of any kind. Why in the world would anyone EVER do that?

It's just not kind, nor is it at all necessary. It would be different if you'd asked: What do you think of my hair? But you did not. She was way out of line.
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

• creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Holy wow. That's so inappropriate, especially from a professor whose only real job is to educate you and not get too involved in your life.

Sad as it is, you will encounter people who feel their opinions should be thrust upon you. At my last job I had a receptionist tell me my curls looked like "a bad perm", to which I desperately wanted to say f*** off. I didn't, and simply learned that rude people will always want to make a rude comment for their own gain.

Sorry you had to encounter such a rude person.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i don't think she meant any harm by it. if anything, she was probably referring more to the length/thickness than the curliness. a lot of older ppl seem to not like it when someone's hair covers their face, so she probably thinks your face would be overshadowed by all that hair. at the end of the day it's your head so it really doesn't seem like something be so upset about, but you have the right to feel the way you feel.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I dont know what profession you are preparing for but in some jobs extremely long hair is frowned on. I work in tv news and for on air people anything much past shoulder length gotta go.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I googled Ligia Rodrigues. She's gorgeous. Definitely a great role model for us curlies. If you think Ligia's hair is beautiful, that's all that matters. Ignore your professor. It was presumptuous of her to think she knows better than you. I don't think she meant the hair lenght or she would not have called it a "mop".

Some people have a very conservative view of style, fashion and beauty. They think a woman has to look like little-miss-perfect and that style is like painting by numbers. There's no room for anything hip, edgy, free-spirited, unconventional or "ethnic". If someone like that doesn't like how you look, it may very well be a compliment. I'm not saying straight hair is boring, but curly hair definitely isn't on their list of safe choices.
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dedachan wrote: »
    I googled Ligia Rodrigues. She's gorgeous. Definitely a great role model for us curlies. If you think Ligia's hair is beautiful, that's all that matters. Ignore your professor. It was presumptuous of her to think she knows better than you. I don't think she meant the hair lenght or she would not have called it a "mop".

Some people have a very conservative view of style, fashion and beauty. They think a woman has to look like little-miss-perfect and that style is like painting by numbers. There's no room for anything hip, edgy, free-spirited, unconventional or "ethnic". If someone like that doesn't like how you look, it may very well be a compliment. I'm not saying straight hair is boring, but curly hair definitely isn't on their list of safe choices.

beautifully said.... :thumbright:
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file