CurlTalk

Has anyone successfully re-worn a bridesmaid's dress?

BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users
My friend has ordered gorgeous bridesmaids dresses for us to wear in her wedding. It's this one:

5177.jpg

We all got a good laugh at the model's Harlequin Romance Novel pose. On a normal, modest woman, it's a really flattering and elegant dress (we closed the front a wee bit). The slit is also hiked way up in the picture because on us, it only goes to the knee.

I'm determined to wear this somewhere after the wedding. But where? It's too fancy for a restaurant.
Is there anywhere that people go that requires elegant dresses like this?
Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.

Comments

• SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    That is really pretty. My prom dress was a bridesmaid dress - I made a minor adjustment from a full skirt to a bustle ( this was a taffeta dress and it was the 80's)232323232%7Ffp4323%3A%3Enu%3D3233%3E45%3B%3E4%3C8%3E232445%3B5%3B98%3A2ot1lsi

I think bridesmaid dresses are much more versatile & wearable now.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Charity dinners, Christmas & New Years parties are the times I get to wear that sort of thing.

Love the dress :)

ETA ~ I think you could wear that to a nice restaurant!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users
    It seems that on TV shows, women are always wearing dresses like this to dinner or some kind of charity function like you suggested.

I agree that the dresses are getting more versatile. That's why I'm so determined to wear this again.

I have another bridesmaid's dress from my sister's wedding that I def cannot wear. It's a light purple, satin...cone. That's really the only way to describe it.

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

• redheadfullofcurlsredheadfullofcurls Posts: 409Registered Users
    My prom dress was also a bridesmaid dress..

Formal night on a cruise would be a good time to wear a dress like that.
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users
    No, I've never had a bridesmaid dress I liked. My SIL wore her bridesmaid dress from my wedding to another wedding. Probably mostly because she was 7 mos pregnant and she didn't have another maternity dress to wear, but I thought (and still think) that the dresses were pretty cute.

I think I'd always be afraid I'd show up and the bridesmaids would be wearing that dress. Actually, I did accidentally show up at a wedding wearing the same dress that the attendants were wearing in a different color. In my defense, it was just a J.Crew dress - before they even were doing bridesmaid dresses even.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I sold mine at a local Vintage store in Chicago.

A drag queen bought it.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    I did, once. This was in the early 90s. We had a two piece dress. The base was black velvet, to the knee. It had long, puffy sleeves. a higher neck and deeper v down the back. Then, there was an irridescent green floorlength skirt that went over it. I wore the black dress to another wedding, but that skirt...ugh, no. It did look good for the day, though.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • Jenica77Jenica77 Posts: 5Registered Users
    I did but I have a formal dinner party to attend every year for my husband's work. That one is really pretty. I can't tell if it would be too dressy for a restaurant/night out by the picture though, since you said it looks so much different on.

You can also dress down a dress by wearing more casual jewelry, shoes, hairstyle, etc.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I would think once you're past prom age, the only chance you're going to get to wear something like that again is to another wedding. That's part of why I love weddings so much, they're the only chance I get to get all fancied up.

It's a lovely dress, though. I hope you find somewhere to wear it!

Posted from my smart phone; please excuse typos or brevity.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    I love that dress bianca! NYE would be my first guess, esp if you have it hemmed to knee length.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • 09robiha09robiha Posts: 683Registered Users
    My bridesmaid dress (for my mums wedding 5 years ago) was sky blue and was a separate corset and long skirt.
    The corset is stunning and I still wear it when I go to more high end clubs..I would never wear it somewhere divey. I took off the straps a long time ago and usually wear black or grey jeans and stick a black blazer over it and some long necklaces and some cute earings. It's rocking :) ...im kind of lost as to how to wear it any other way tho! I have a very strange style tho :')

My prom dress was very formal too, deep fushia silk, floor length, slim skirt and corset style top (can u tell I like corsets? I have a 23inch waist so there the only thing that fits super well) ...this dress I cut shorter to just above knee and wear to weddings and such with a fur shrug/jacket and cute shoes

I love the dress in the your post OP it's gorgeous! Maybe you can wear it to a different wedding as a guest with a waist belt, some sort of jacket or blazer and nice jewellery?
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    Don't forget you can always wear it for Halloween too -- you could be a zombie bridesmaid.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users
    Never. And I've had approximately a dozen over the years.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    I think you can really only wear that to something formal. That would be a Saturday evening wedding, or some kind of formal party (such as a charity ball, or a formal company Christmas party).

Although, I do kinda love the zombie bride Halloween idea!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    You know, altered to a cocktail length, that dress would be really sexy and could be worn to more events than if it were left floor length.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    At that length, you can probably only wear it for very formal occasions, and even most weddings aren't formal anymore (other than the bridal party). I would have it shortened to cocktail length.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    I've donated all of mine to the local HS for prom, along w/ the dyed shoes....lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    At that length, you can probably only wear it for very formal occasions, and even most weddings aren't formal anymore (other than the bridal party). I would have it shortened to cocktail length.

I was thinking this as well. If it fits in a way that would also work as a cocktail length, I think you'll get a LOT more use out of it!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    Unfortunately, the only time I've been a bridesmaid included the dress that I will never wear again. Gorgeous color, but it is of the traditional, long, strapless variety. Pretty much this: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.davidsbridal.com%2Fs7viewers%2Fdhtml%2FgenericZoomMobile.html%3FserverUrl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fs7d1.scene7.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2F%26amp%3Basset%3DDavidsBridalInc%2Fs11_8567_2.psd.xml%253flayer%253d2%2526op%255fcolorize2%253d99062A" class="Popup
    :rambo:
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the only time I've been a bridesmaid included the dress that I will never wear again. Gorgeous color, but it is of the traditional, long, strapless variety. Pretty much this: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.davidsbridal.com%2Fs7viewers%2Fdhtml%2FgenericZoomMobile.html%3FserverUrl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fs7d1.scene7.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2F%26amp%3Basset%3DDavidsBridalInc%2Fs11_8567_2.psd.xml%253flayer%253d2%2526op%255fcolorize2%253d99062A" class="Popup

But not gray, a deep burgundy red.
    :rambo:
  • RobinP92202RobinP92202 Posts: 213Registered Users
    I think if you shortened that dress a tad, you could get a lot of use out of it!

All of my bridesmaids have gotten use out of their dress because I had them all just wear a little black dress of their own choosing.

I have been a bridesmaid a few times before and have donated alll the dresses. One was a brown satin tea length nicole miller I would have worn again except I had just had a baby so I lost a lot of weight after wearing that one.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Robin
    *mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
    *3a shoulder length curls
    *experimenting with the CG method
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I haven't been to a military ball yet, but that would probably be the only opportunity for me to rewear one.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I also wanted to say that it's a gorgeous dress! I would love to see a pic of it on you.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    Spider wrote: »
    That is really pretty. My prom dress was a bridesmaid dress - I made a minor adjustment from a full skirt to a bustle ( this was a taffeta dress and it was the 80's)232323232%7Ffp4323%3A%3Enu%3D3233%3E45%3B%3E4%3C8%3E232445%3B5%3B98%3A2ot1lsi

I think bridesmaid dresses are much more versatile & wearable now.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

OH my gosh change this dress to dark green...that was my sister's bridesmaid dress in 1990.

Gorgeous dress. Either wear it again to a very formal event or shorten it...be able to wear it to lots of places...even New Year's Eve Party.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's a gorgeous dress. I second whoever said you could wear it to dinner on a cruise. That's the last place I wore a full-length formal dress.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Posts: 751Registered Users
    I wore one bm dress to two weddings. The second bride wasn't too particular about our dresses as long as they were the same color (red) and didn't clash.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    That's a very pretty bridesmaid dress. I agree with others - unless you have a few formal events coming up, I would have it shortened to cocktail length.

I haven't been a bridesmaid since the 80's. Ugh. It was a hideous dress. Shiny taffeta the color of Pepto Bismol...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I'm in my friends wedding in Feb of next year. I'm a grooms-woman, on his side, but the bride said that I could choose any dress I wanted as long as it went well with her coloring for the wedding. Her and I decided I would do a black dress (since I'm on the grooms side), with a sangria colored fabric belt, which is the color of her bridesmaids dresses.
    I chose this dress, which I'll wear with opaque black tights and black shoes. I'll be able to wear it again, its so cute! Its not *this* short on me, I must have short legs!
    s09_f13277_canary_2acc_psd.jpg
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users
    Love that dress, LC!

The dress I was able to wear again was very similar to that one. It was originally floor length, but I took it to a seamstress and had it altered to just above the knee. The beauty was that the shoes matched perfectly, and this time, I could actually see them!

I have to add that the op's friend is one brave bride! There is no way in hell my bridesmaids would have been wearing dresses that revealing!
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users
    I think I will get it shortened afterward because it will definitely be more versatile that way.

I'm glad that the dress doesn't scream "bridesmaid' so I will be able to easily alter it and wear it again.