very dry climate - how should I change my routine?

SopotitoSopotito Registered Users Posts: 14
I moved a month ago from Nordic, humid but cold seaside Helsinki to South European, continental and superdry Madrid and heve been terrified to notice that the routine I was happily using in Helsinki got me split ends in 3 weeks here - despite I thought I was taking very good care of my hair!

My routine has been the following
*a blend of indian herbs for shampooing (INCI: Fullers Earth, shikakai, reetha, amla, harithake, bibhitake and bhui amla)
*Aubrey Organics White Camellia as rinse-out
*Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose as leave-in
*a natural gel as styling product (INCI: peppermint distillate, green tea, xanthan gum, glyserol, natrium benzoate, sugar, essential oils of grapefruit and lavender).

Yesterday I went to trim the ends (a complete horror story: instead of cutting half an inch as we agreed, the hairdresser took off two inches, half a year's growth! just wrote about it in the hairstylist chatter) and now It's back at APL, when two days ago it was around BSL...

I really want to make sure from now on I take the best possible care of my hair so I don't have to trim the ends anymore. So dear curlies, please tell me what should I put in my hair (or how should I change my routine) to take care of the dryness of my curls and tame the frizzyness if humectants are not ok? I thank you from the bottom of my heart in advance for any advice you could give me.

ETA: If you're going to recommend oils, I just want to tell that I've found the use of them very difficult. When I use them as a deep conditioning treatment or pre-poo oils get stuck in my hair horribly if I don't mix them with conditioner / honey etc. If I use them alone, oils lead to an awful greasy-hair-look. As a leave-in, one or two drops do nothing, but if I put enough to really tame the frizzies (it takes 5 to 6 to even 8 drops), my hair instantly looks horribly greasy and I have to go back to the shower and wash it again. Then again, 1-2 drops mixed with a leave-in are ok, but on the other hand I cannot notice any difference to not using the oil at all.

Comments

• curlytrixycurlytrixy Registered Users Posts: 19
    I remember when I moved from NY to NC now I am in FL what work for me back in NY and NC will not work for me in FL.

Try adding organic aloe vera juice to your line up I spray aloe vera juice to dripping wet hair and then I apply gel, then my version of kimmay tube leave in then a butter/ pomade or oil to seal it in.

Try using camellia oil to moisture your ends at night or every other night.

Invest in a huetiful hair steamer and deep condition every time you wash hair.

Original Kimmay tube leave in
    2 tablespoons of YOUR preferred conditioner (silicone free)
    2 tablespoons of (Whole leaf version) Aloe Vera Juice with a pH 4.0 or 4.5
    2 teaspoons of Castor Oil (optional. I sometimes do without it)
    2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil
  • SopotitoSopotito Registered Users Posts: 14
    Thank you very much Curlytrixy!

I think I'll try deep conditioning with honey, yogurt, aloe vera etc. several times a week and very carefully experimenting with camellia oil (I didn't bring with me any other oils except camellia, coconut and grapeseed oil and then there's also the olive oil I use for my salad dressings). How many drops of camellia oil would you recommend to use at one go?

I'm not sure if I dare trying the aloe as a leave-in product, because I'm afraid the whole problem developed because of using humectants, which in these dry conditions strip the hair's own moisture instead of drawing moisture from the air to the hair.

I've actually been using a lot of humectants as I was using AOHR as my leave-in and my gel has sugar in it. I think I should stop using humectants and find ingredients that are moisturizing but are not humectants (not an easy task, huh).

Thanks a lot for the support and the recipe (I'm definitely trying it when I'll get back to my humid nordic hometown) :)
  • curlytrixycurlytrixy Registered Users Posts: 19
    I did not know that aloe is a humectants i Google it but did not get anything solid to read will look into that some more. I know for sure i do not like how glycerine makes my hair feel and look but aloe do not have the same effect on my hair.

I use 4 drops camellia per section and that is 4 section.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    i just moved from germany to australia, where ill be staying for awhile, i had a pretty good routine down, with different herbs that i could pick in germany, so now that im back in aussie, i thought that my hair wont like it. but im rather surprised bout it. ive changed just about everyting that my hair is used to, im using same new things i didnt before, n of cause im NOT using things i used before. for example, i was using quiet a bit of home made rose water, and stinging nettle/comfrey water, where we live we have quiet a few hibiscus trees so im using that instead of the rose. ive just got a new condish, and made my very first aloe vera gel today. my hair is loving the change!
    so i guess long story short, even though you've moved, try sme new things that occur naturaly there, it will be alot cheaper and you might find your new HG!

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • AUsomecurlsAUsomecurls Registered Users Posts: 22
    curlytrixy wrote: »
    I remember when I moved from NY to NC now I am in FL what work for me back in NY and NC will not work for me in FL.

Try adding organic aloe vera juice to your line up I spray aloe vera juice to dripping wet hair and then I apply gel, then my version of kimmay tube leave in then a butter/ pomade or oil to seal it in.

Try using camellia oil to moisture your ends at night or every other night.

Invest in a huetiful hair steamer and deep condition every time you wash hair.

Original Kimmay tube leave in
    2 tablespoons of YOUR preferred conditioner (silicone free)
    2 tablespoons of (Whole leaf version) Aloe Vera Juice with a pH 4.0 or 4.5
    2 teaspoons of Castor Oil (optional. I sometimes do without it)
    2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil

Great info and recipe! Thank you, curlytrixie.
  • SopotitoSopotito Registered Users Posts: 14
    Thank you curlytrixy for the info on using camellia oil and I owe you an explanation on the aloe vera / humectant thing: it's actually not that simple, it seems the aloe vera can act as a humectat in certain conditions (dew points, temperatures etc) and just as a moisturizing ingredient in other conditions, so go figure. If you feel it's good for your hair, why quit using it?

And thank you Fmasuhr for your insights! I live in the middle of the asphalt jungle and it's getting quite cold here, so unfortunately there are not too many herbs around to pick... ;) Also, it seems herbal/ natural haircare is not at all popular here, as product selection at health food stores etc. is very limited :(

Nevertheless, I'm trying to start using new and local things in my routine: at the moment I'm sitting with a homemade pre-poo deep treatment in my hair, which was made using equal amounts of local organic olive oil from the north of Spain, ecological goat's milk yogurt, local honey and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I know there actually quite a lot of humectants and proteins in it, but it shouldn't be that bad as long as I just limit the use of them to rinse-off products?

In a couple of minutes I'm going to add shampoo straight to my head, then use some diluted Aubrey Organics conditioner, rinse very well, finish with an acidic rinse, get out of the shower and apply some camellia oil. I'll report later about the results...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file