We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Silk amino acids

famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
I finally broke down and bought a pound from lotion crafter. I have been extremely pleased the results on my girl's hair. They all have protein loving hair, but I am extremely protein sensitive. Well, I used about a tablespoon in my prepoo and I'm thinking I like it, however I wanted to know if anyone else uses it, how often do you use it? How do you use it, in a leave in, in deep cond, or in prepoo or shampoo? How long do you leave it on? I'm so scared to leave it on too long.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Me: 3c, very thick
BC- May 2010
Current routine:
pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
Styling: HETT and castor oil
DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection

Comments

• DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    My hair's protein sensitive in that it does fine with certain proteins (silk) and definitely not as well with other proteins. I've been using SAA as an additive to DTs and homemade FSG for a couple of months now, and my hair has liked it a lot. I've read a little of the science behind proteins and hair, and what I've learned is basically that SAA are just the 'building blocks' of protein, and not technically a protein. But that's probably what allows my hair to reap the benefits of SAA without reacting to it like it's a stronger (i.e. a full blown) protein. At this point, I use something on my hair that contains SAA at least once a week, but very often 2 to 3 times a week with no adverse effects. The DTs I add SAA to I leave on my hair at least 30 minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
    Thank you so much. That's exactly what I needed. I'm still using SAA as an additive to my prepoo. I leave in about 30 min one time a week. I did not realize it wasn't actually a protein. I guess I need to do more research.
    Me: 3c, very thick
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
    Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
    Styling: HETT and castor oil
    DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection
  • Fantastic1221Fantastic1221 Posts: 356Registered Users
    I know this is a REALLY old post but I was wondering what DC recipes you made with the SAA and how much should be used
  • Fantastic1221Fantastic1221 Posts: 356Registered Users
    I know this is a REALLY old post but I was wondering what DC recipes you made with the SAA and how much should be used

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file