CurlTalk

HELP 3c's do wash and go during the cold/winter??

CourtyCourtCourtyCourt Posts: 16Registered Users
Hey 3cs,

I wanted to try a new regimen for my hair esp during the winter months and that keeps my curl pattern fresh.

Im not crazy about wetting it everyday(though that seems to be the only thing that works)

I got a rod set done by a salon and it lasted 2 days lol

What products do you guys use, or techniques or any suggestion would be great

Comments

• 3Cme3Cme Posts: 6Registered Users
    Do you pineapple your hair at night to prevent the curls from getting messed up?

~Larissa

Follow me on twitter @erebdyhatesris

I'll follow back
    I want some curly friends & hair talk on twitter :-D
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    You don't have to soak your hair wet everyday. You can also re-style/refresh a wng on damp hair. It should dry faster that way too.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • CourtyCourtCourtyCourt Posts: 16Registered Users
    Hey Larissa!!:glasses8:

I just oil my hair and scalp and place a silk bonnett on(obviously not working). My hair is short...do you still suggest doing the pineapple method? I think I may have enough hair to do that bc its growing a little.

I know everyone is different but how long do your curls stay fresh doing that method??
    3Cme wrote: »
    Do you pineapple your hair at night to prevent the curls from getting messed up?

~Larissa

Follow me on twitter @erebdyhatesris

I'll follow back
    I want some curly friends & hair talk on twitter :-D
    Hello thanks for your suggestion! Do you diffuse your hair ever??

BekkaPoo wrote: »
    You don't have to soak your hair wet everyday. You can also re-style/refresh a wng on damp hair. It should dry faster that way too.

On occasion I have diffused, but I air dry 99.9% of the time. I also live in FL, where it hardly ever gets below 50-60 degrees even in the winter. :) However, I used to live in NY and I would wng then air dry, winter and summer.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

On occasion I have diffused, but I air dry 99.9% of the time. I also live in FL, where it hardly ever gets below 50-60 degrees even in the winter. :) However, I used to live in NY and I would wng then air dry, winter and summer.
    Oh okay. I may have to change some of the products im using as well...bc my hair gets so dry!
  • NaturelleCurlsNaturelleCurls Posts: 17Registered Users
    [/QUOTE]

What is wng?

I am also dealing with this problem, and live in cooooold Detroit so I can't wear my hair wet in the winter. I've already purchased a North Face silken fleece hat, and my head is still cold when wet! Based on a suggestion of another curlie's thread about winter hair, last night I washed my hair, added LI, hemp oil and styler, and placed it in 8 braids. She said her hair is dry in the a.m., but I have *very* thick 3b/4a hair. Now it is 24 hours later and my hair is still damp. So that isn't going to work for me in this cold winter air.

I pineapple my hair at night, but it never looks as good as the first day.

I don't want to resort to wearing a wig in the winter! Are there any other suggestions on how to wear curly hair in the cold?
    3c, low porosity, course hair. Henna gal. BC'd 23 Oct 11.

Lowpoo: TJ's TTT, Terresessentials Lemon Hair Mud, CJ Daily Fix
    CO: V05 MM Strawberries & Creme
    Wash Out: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle & Rose
    LI: Aussie Moist, CJ's Beauticurls
    Stylers: Blue Ecostyler, KCCC, Aloe Vera Gel
    Moisturizer: Shea Butter, Qhemet Biologics BRBC
    Try styling your hair damp at night, instead of soaking wet.

WNG = "wash n go".

WNG = "wash n go".

After my post, I figured out wng...duh! lol

So after wash and LI, let it air dry a bit, then braid it before going to bed when damp (but not soaking wet)?

• sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    I do, lately I've been letting it stay wrapped up in a tee shirt for about 5-10 min before adding my products and it drys faster, If im going to be leaving as soon as I'm dressed though I dont rewet it that day, Ill just pull it back to a puff/pony.
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WNG = "wash n go".

So after wash and LI, let it air dry a bit, then braid it before going to bed when damp (but not soaking wet)?

Yes you could do it like that. Or if your hair is already dry and it's the end of the day, you could just lightly spritz with water and apply your products, braid, and go to sleep to let it dry til the following day.

WNG = "wash n go".

Yes you could do it like that. Or if your hair is already dry and it's the end of the day, you could just lightly spritz with water and apply your products, braid, and go to sleep to let it dry til the following day.

Ok, I'll try it!

If hair is already dry at the end of the day, I'm assuming you're talking about preparing 2nd day hair. Question- do you reapply products for 2nd day hair, or is lightly spritzing with water enough?

Ok, I'll try it!

If hair is already dry at the end of the day, I'm assuming you're talking about preparing 2nd day hair. Question- do you reapply products for 2nd day hair, or is lightly spritzing with water enough?

That depends on your hair-- give both ways a try and see how it works for you. I personally don't do my hair at night because I sleep to wild and it's pointless. But I do the damp styling method above in the morning on a regular basis and it works well for me.
    Thanks Ladies for all the advice....Im gonna start twists out and braid outs
  • QuirkyCoilsQuirkyCoils Posts: 32Registered Users
    My hair is short and I only wash my hair once a week. After the 1st day wng I just flat twist the crown of my hair with a moisturizer for length, put my bonnet on and call it a night. believe it or not my hair is the same length all over...the sides and back may actually be longer, but when I sleep on it, this is how it shapes
    a6890c1e-bdb3-e8c0.jpg
    My hair is short and I only wash my hair once a week. After the 1st day wng I just flat twist the crown of my hair with a moisturizer for length, put my bonnet on and call it a night. believe it or not my hair is the same length all over...the sides and back may actually be longer, but when I sleep on it, this is how it shapes
    a6890c1e-bdb3-e8c0.jpg

Your hair is gorgeous! Love it:toothy7:
  • jcfrizzlejcfrizzle Posts: 90Registered Users
    Definitely try using a product with humectants in it. I personally love Carol's Daughter hair balm. It locks in moisture and helps attract moisture for fuller and bouncier curls!
    Love my auburn 3b/3c curls!! Favorite products are Treseme Naturals conditioner and DevaCare ArcAngel(<---miracle for definition!) I really just want to GROW MY HAIR OUT!! It's not really working...
  • Toya10Toya10 Posts: 16Registered Users
    Ok i'm lost what is the pineapple method? *waves hi everyone*
    Lovin' mah curls!
    sweetmx85 wrote: »
    I do, lately I've been letting it stay wrapped up in a tee shirt for about 5-10 min before adding my products and it drys faster, If im going to be leaving as soon as I'm dressed though I dont rewet it that day, Ill just pull it back to a puff/pony.

It worked! I have a beautiful braid-out today that actually dried overnight because I wrapped my hair in a t-shirt for 10 minutes before applying products. THANKS!

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    I wash n go every day and even in the Winter. But if I need to get 2nd day hair for some reason what I do is use a gel to "set" my curls.

I wash hair, use a leave-in conditioner, apply natural oil (this is optional), apply gel. I either diffuse or air dry. Then when it's all dry I put my hair up into a pineapple ponytail (where you bring the hair all the way up to the front of your head in a ponytail so it looks like a pineapple). I sleep that way. The next day I take down my hair, shake it out, use my fingers to place the hair where I like, and that's it.

Some people may have to do more fluffing to get the hair the way they like it.

Products I use for 2nd day hair:
    Tresemme Natural Conditioner (can use Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditoner for this method as well)
    Natural oil of my choice (olive, castor, coconut, etc)
    Ecostyler Gel (the pink one with the hold of 7) or Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel.

It can also be done without using any oil. If I do it without the oil I do need to scrunch out the crunch when the hair is dry. It's not a problem though..my curls still end up soft and have movement once I SOTC. I like the oil added though because my hair is dyed a matte black and the oil adds shine for me and keeps my hair moisturized longer.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    Toya10 wrote: »
    Ok i'm lost what is the pineapple method? *waves hi everyone*

Here ya go hun!

Pineapple Natural Hair Twistout Maintenance Method- First Attempt - YouTube

I subscribed to your youtube channel. Great vids and I noticed your curl pattern is very very similar to mine!:blob5:
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users

I subscribed to your youtube channel. Great vids and I noticed your curl pattern is very very similar to mine!:blob5:
    aw ty! lately ive been so busy i havent bad much time to do videos but ive been trying to stay current w my blog, its easier to snap a pic than record and edit a vid right now hopefully once i get comfortable w my schedule ill be back recording:) thank you for subbing!!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Blog:www.curlygirlie85.blogspot.com
    YouTube: www.youtube.com/sophiams85
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavycurlyria_87wavycurlyria_87 Posts: 78Registered Users
    a6890c1e-bdb3-e8c0.jpg

my hair did the exact same thing when I cut it a couple of months ago.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    i used to do wash n go's every day in summer but due to the temps here, (i live in germany!) i cant wear it out as much as i like. i prepare my hair at night and pinapple it to sleep on it. in the morning i take it out, refresh with wet hands and oil then i bun it. i then get a bit more oil on my hands rub them together and go over my hair with the oil. so that the surface that is exposed to the harsh weather is from the oil protected.
    i do this everyday. cause i get bored with the same thing day in day out, (just how i am) i change how the bun looks. somtimes its more messy, somtimes high or side

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • SetsunaNiSetsunaNi Posts: 14Registered Users
    I wear a WNG daily, but I don't do a WNG daily, if that makes sense. Basically, I do the whole WNG ritual (wash, apply products, etc.) once a week on Sunday morning and then just maintain it throughout. I can't imagine wearing wet hair every single day.

As far as wearing hair in a loose style, I don't think I've had damage from it. I just make sure my hair is properly moisturized.
    Regimen:
    Cowash - Tresemme Naturals
    Detangle
    Moisturize - Care Free Curl Gold
    Style - EcoStyler Argan Oil Gel
    Air Dry

Night Regimen:
    Moisturize
    Twist
    Silk Bonnet