Want to try CG, but need some advice

Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've been lurking on the boards and I really want to take the plunge into full CG. I'm just hoping someone can please help with the one concern that I have.

I train in martial arts 4-5 days/wk, so I'm concerned that conditioner alone isn't going to be enough to cleanse my scalp. By the end of a typical class, half the length of my hair is damp from sweating (eww, gross, I know). I have mostly 3a type curls (some 2c/3b mixed in), medium to thick texture, normal to high porosity (growing out some color damage). When my hair is dry it's about BSL. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No problem. Shampoo with a lowpoo (shampoo with no sulfates nor silicones. CG does not mean conditioner only cleansing. Conditioner only cleansing means conditioner only cleansing...haha!
    I (and many others here) cannot conditioner cleanse.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Lol, thank you. I keep seeing all of this stuff about co-washing and wasn't sure if that was my only option without ending up doing more of a modified CG. Hopefully I'll have some great after pics to post soon :mrgreen:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You have to do what works for your hair, so if you aren't following CG to the "letter of the law," that's okay.

I think we all have our own definition of what "CG" is. In the original CG book, curlies didn't shampoo and wavies could lowpoo once a week. The new book isn't quite as specific. It talks about doing conditioner cleansing, but then defines a "cleanser" as anything without sulfate later on.

Cowashing was okay, I did it for six months and then started using natural soap bars to cleanse when they were popular on the boards 3+ years ago. They are a love/hate kind of product. Although they are saponified oils, I consider myself modified CG because I don't cowash at all.

A product you may want to check out is CJ Daily Fix. It's a cleansing conditioner that contains coco b--a mild sulfactant. It also contains a chelating agent. I take it to the salon when I get my haircut/highlight and try to use it another time or two a month because of it's chelating properties.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I will definitely check out Daily Fix. I did my last sulfate wash yesterday. Hair still looked great today- the real test will be tomorrow night/Tuesday morning, when I see what happens after 2 hours of intense training.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file