CurlTalk

Green house effect?

MrsBacheminMrsBachemin Posts: 128Registered Users
Has anyone tried this and had success or seen significant growth? Baggying doesn't work for me, but I was thinking of giving this a try (although the two methods are similar). Green house effect growth challenge anyone?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• BellaAmoreBellaAmore Posts: 253Registered Users
    I am greenhousing my hair as I type this actually. I haven't been doing it long enough to notice length impact, ( I had been doing off and on for about 2 weeks, then stopped, and now started again). I did notice my hair is growing longer, but I think its too soon to credit it to the GHE. I do like how it keeps my hair moisturized when I do it overnight. The next morning my hair is good enough to walk out the door (TWA ). But I am up for the challenge.
    :wav::wav:
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    Has anyone tried this and had success or seen significant growth? Baggying doesn't work for me, but I was thinking of giving this a try (although the two methods are similar). Green house effect growth challenge anyone?

What is the green house effect for hair? Off to look it up.
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • MrsBacheminMrsBachemin Posts: 128Registered Users
    What is the green house effect for hair? Off to look it up.

It's said to help your scalp produce more natural oils and thus make your hair grow faster. You apply oil to damp (not wet) hair, braid or twist, then put on a shower cap and cover that with a scarf and a bonnet or winter cap. Go to bed and take it down in the morning. The shower cap and 2 covers produces a "steam" effect that helps stimulate oil production. You're supposed to do it before you go to bed because that's your hair's best time to grow.

NYCityKurl wrote: »
    I am greenhousing my hair as I type this actually. I haven't been doing it long enough to notice length impact, ( I had been doing off and on for about 2 weeks, then stopped, and now started again). I did notice my hair is growing longer, but I think its too soon to credit it to the GHE. I do like how it keeps my hair moisturized when I do it overnight. The next morning my hair is good enough to walk out the door (TWA ). But I am up for the challenge.

Ok, then I'm going to start tomorrow! I'll wash and everything tomorrow and greenhouse tomorrow night. I'll try to do it at least 5 nights a week. I'll document growth for the next 3 months and see how it goes. I'm excited to try something to give my hair a jumpstart!

• danyel02danyel02 Posts: 156Registered Users
    Baggying never really worked for me either because my hair really does not like being left wet all the time. I have read about the GHE and would be will to try it on dry hair!
    Type: 4a Fine Texture
    CG since 2008 - Life long natural
    Holy Grails
    Cleanser: Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    Leave-ins: Camille Rose Moisture Milk & Almond Jai
    D/T: Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent Treatment
    Protein: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Butters: Qhemet Amla & Olive, Bask Condensed Custard
    Oils: Coconut & Grapeseed
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    Shaaaame! I thought it was just another name for baggying! I might try this a few times a week with my bringraj oil. Not because I'm craving growth that much, but I just haven't figured out a role for this oil yet and need to use it!
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • DBOO75115DBOO75115 Posts: 119Registered Users
    I have tried GHE, whole head baggie, and pony Baggie. The GHE and whole head Baggie makes my scalp feel grimy even when if it's not wet. Baggie pony is my favorite. If my hair feels dry I can pony Baggie it at night and bun during the day and it keeps my dry ends in check without the grimy scalp.

Ok, then I'm going to start tomorrow! I'll wash and everything tomorrow and greenhouse tomorrow night. I'll try to do it at least 5 nights a week. I'll document growth for the next 3 months and see how it goes. I'm excited to try something to give my hair a jumpstart!

I'm in. I'm going to try to get some pictures up later to show my start off length. I should start a hair blog to document my journey... I keep saying I will but never do...:sad3:
    Snapshot_20111106_15.jpg

I hope the picture attached right....it took some effort to take it with my webcam. I need to find my darn digi cam!! But if they didn't attach, for the most part, I am working with a TWA.

well, while I'm at it, I guess I'll update my avatar. whoo hoo
    I tried to take some pics too, but only ended up with one that's usable.

uploadfromtaptalk1320609083091.jpg

So this is my starting point. I washed, deep conditioned, detangled, oiled (castor oil), and braided (about 12 total). Before I go to bed I'll put on my shower cap, scarf, and bonnet. Here goes!

I tried to take some pics too, but only ended up with one that's usable.

uploadfromtaptalk1320609083091.jpg

So this is my starting point. I washed, deep conditioned, detangled, oiled (castor oil), and braided (about 12 total). Before I go to bed I'll put on my shower cap, scarf, and bonnet. Here goes!

:occasion9: let the fun begin!
    Snapshot_20111106_4.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_3.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_15.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_12.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_1.jpg

I hope these pictures attached right....it took some effort to take them with my webcam. I need to find my darn digi cam!! But if they didn't attach, for the most part, I am working with a TWA.

I love your twa and your bed! :thumbup:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
    Snapshot_20111106_4.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_3.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_15.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_12.jpg

Snapshot_20111106_1.jpg

I hope these pictures attached right....it took some effort to take them with my webcam. I need to find my darn digi cam!! But if they didn't attach, for the most part, I am working with a TWA.

I love your twa and your bed! :thumbup:

:mrgreen: awww thanks Jo. I got the bed set from burlington coat factory, it was pretty reasonably priced too.
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users
    I'm trying the GHE this month (today) for the first time. I am hoping for growth n moisture over the winter months.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
    Ok, so last night I moisturized with grapeseed oil. I did about 12 two strand twists, put on my shower cap, scarf, and bonnet then went to bed. My hair is super soft this morning and is stretched, although it doesn't have very much definition. I haven't used any styling products though because I don't think I should since I'm trying this method. Maybe the more I twist or braid my hair, the more it'll take the shape I want.

Ok, so last night I moisturized with grapeseed oil. I did about 12 two strand twists, put on my shower cap, scarf, and bonnet then went to bed. My hair is super soft this morning and is stretched, although it doesn't have very much definition. I haven't used any styling products though because I don't think I should since I'm trying this method. Maybe the more I twist or braid my hair, the more it'll take the shape I want.

Last night was the first night I tried GHE with a winter cap over my bonnet. I must say, if nothing else. I really love how moisturized my hair is in the morning. The only downfall to the winter hat over the bonnet was it did smoosh the shape of my hair a bit, so I think I will go back to my trusty two bonnets. . And this saves me some time in the morning, I start work tomorrow, so no need to fiddle in my hair too much. Did you take down your twists while they were damp or were they fully dry?
    sienna40 wrote: »
    I'm trying the GHE this month (today) for the first time. I am hoping for growth n moisture over the winter months.

:wave: I can say its definately is great for moisture. I would like to see a lil more growth by New Years. I was going to go for a protective braided style for the winter, but I'll ride it out with my natural hair.:blob5:
    Last night was the first night I tried GHE with a winter cap over my bonnet. I must say, if nothing else. I really love how moisturized my hair is in the morning. The only downfall to the winter hat over the bonnet was it did smoosh the shape of my hair a bit, so I think I will go back to my trusty two bonnets. . And this saves me some time in the morning, I start work tomorrow, so no need to fiddle in my hair too much. Did you take down your twists while they were damp or were they fully dry?

I took my twists down while they were damp because I only had about 25 minutes before I left for work, but it dried pretty quickly once it was loose. It did get a little frizzy, but I don't mind that. I put it in a ponytail on top of my had and kept it moving. :-)

:wave: I can say its definately is great for moisture. I would like to see a lil more growth by New Years. I was going to go for a protective braided style for the winter, but I'll ride it out with my natural hair.:blob5:

You're right, the moisture level is amazing! I just wonder where the water droplets that I'm finding on the inside of my
    shower cap is coming from???? I didn't add water before the oil last night. Is it sweat? Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.....

• favoritecolorblufavoritecolorblu Posts: 287Registered Users

You're right, the moisture level is amazing! I just wonder where the water droplets that I'm finding on the inside of my
    shower cap is coming from???? I didn't add water before the oil last night. Is it sweat? Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.....

Water is always in the air even if it's a very little. So when you put the cap on, you trapped the water in the air inside of the cap. The heat from your hair turned the water vapor into liquid water. Kind of when you microwave something and the steam gets on the door. You basically liquidized steam.

I think its the "steam" that the shower cap and oils produce, idk... I was wondering that too the first day I tried it.:laughing9:
    So far so good. A little sweat comes with the territory I see. I'll do this for the month and see what results I'll get. I think this is going to be apart of my winter regimen. I like the moisture. I just rinse in the morning and I'm good. I cowash every other day but I don't think it will take away from the process. We'll see.
    So far so good. A little sweat comes with the territory I see. I'll do this for the month and see what results I'll get. I think this is going to be apart of my winter regimen. I like the moisture. I just rinse in the morning and I'm good. I cowash every other day but I don't think it will take away from the process. We'll see.

I used to frequently cowash my hair, but since starting this, I am trying to cut down, maybe to just once a week. I actually think my hair is more moisturized now then it was with the cowashes. Have you tried not rinsing it out the next morning? Before I started the GHE I deep conditioned at the beginning of the week, and did the GHE every night and in the morning my hair was moist, soft and good to go. Today I put my hair in fingercoils and will keep them in for 3 or 4 days, wear the coil out for a day and then cowash & deep condition my hair and continue with the GHE for at least 5 nights/week. Lets see how that goes.
    I just rinse in the morning and I'm good. I cowash every other day but I don't think it will take away from the process. We'll see.

Have you tried not rinsing it out the next morning?

I may stretch between cowashes but I don't want to over moisturize. I do the cowashing because of the protein in the condish I use. I will give it two weeks this way then fall back for two weeks and share the results. Thanks for the advice. I am a newbie still learning.

I added oil 3 out of 4 nights. Last night there was no need because my hair felt great. Even if I don't see an immense amount of growth, I'm loving the moisture! I haven't cowashed or anything this week, just moisturized and twisted or pineappled. I'll wash on Sunday and start again next week. My husband is like "ok, what are you doing to your hair now?" Lol

Is anyone doing this to their hair, but onto styled hair? i.e. if I'm wearing twists all week, then I don't take the twists out in the morning.

I had flat twists in. I just let them dry and then spray them with some type of mist and go. You can rinse just don't strip your scalp of its natural oils

My husband is like "ok, what are you doing to your hair now?" Lol App

Mine too. Glad I'm not alone. Lol

• CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    Okay, so I watched Naptural85's video with her misting at night and baggying to create the GHE as you ladies call it.

My question is....once you take the plastic bag off in the a.m. and have all of this wonderful moisture are you all sealing before leaving the house? I noticed Naptural85 mentioned her hair is dry sometimes by the end of the day.

The dews are in the low 30's already where I live and if I even try to leave the house with hair super moisturized without sealing it will be crispy dry halfway thru the day as all the moisture will have been zapped right out.
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
    Is anyone doing this to their hair, but onto styled hair? i.e. if I'm wearing twists all week, then I don't take the twists out in the morning.

I do. Even if my hair is finger coiled, at night i would lightly mist it with water, if needed added a lil oil, put my shower cap and two bonnets on and go to bed. In the morning i take off the cap and bonnets while i get in the shower and let the steam of the shower (not rewetting my hair at all) get to my hair. Then I just go. The GHE is aimed toward letting the natural oils of our scalp help aid in growth/moisture. So i dont think it matters much if its styled, at least i havent seen a difference.