How do I reverse protein damage?

swansinaprilswansinapril Registered Users Posts: 117
I keep messing up, so my hair stays crispy! I've learned I'm extremely protein sensitive. As in I can't tolerate ANY or else my already-coarse hair becomes completely stiff and breakable.

Well, I keep falling into the trap of trying new things, not realizing they may have protein, and then I'm left with a head full of dead-looking hair. I did this last night; I did a mayonnaise DT, and stupidly didn't consider the high egg content. Now my hair is stiff again and looks dry.

How do I reverse what this protein has done? In the past, I'd always just wait it out until it eventually got better, usually after 5 shampoos or so.

Any tips? Please?
Very coarse, thick, porous 3B. My biggest challenge is SOFTNESS and SHINE.

Current shampoo: Biosilk w/ added vitamin E
Current conditioner: Lush Okra :love5:
Leave-ins: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, KCCC
CG didn't work for me. Oils don't work for me. Trying hard to learn how to love my hair. Read my blog.

Comments

• mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried doing a moisturizing treatment w/ heat? That should help a bit. I would be extra careful not to use any protein while your waiting for your hair to recover.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Lots and lots of moisture. Invest in a good deep treatment and conditioners.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• pharaohpharaoh Registered Users Posts: 156 Curl Neophyte
    asianrunner,
    do you have any good protein free moisturizers you recommend? im looking for one too.

im using all the cj stuff that you are too and i thought they had protein in them....my thinking was THEY were making my hair dry.

i have daily fix, which i think has whey protein, beauty curls, and repair me...and i looked and they all have protein (i thought, but im really clueless to this stuff).
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Registered Users Posts: 476 Curl Neophyte
    pharaoh wrote: »
    asianrunner,
    do you have any good protein free moisturizers you recommend? im looking for one too.

im using all the cj stuff that you are too and i thought they had protein in them....my thinking was THEY were making my hair dry.

i have daily fix, which i think has whey protein, beauty curls, and repair me...and i looked and they all have protein (i thought, but im really clueless to this stuff).

Curl junkie curl rehab is protein free. I also like Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm --protein free.
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • pharaohpharaoh Registered Users Posts: 156 Curl Neophyte
    oh hooray about curl rehab. im going to go put some on now! i just ordered the gvp conditioning balm because i saw you guys loved it.

how do you use it? as a dt every week, or every day as a ro?

thanks!!:hello2:
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Registered Users Posts: 476 Curl Neophyte
    I use the GVP CB as a rinse out a few times a week and sometimes as leave in too. I use the curl rehab as more of a DT.

I've heard good things about a tresemme condish that's protein free. Was gonna try that next!
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Registered Users Posts: 85
    I did the overprotein thing to my hair many times. I tried many things with nonsuccess, but the latest time I tried deva no poo for three days followeed with gvp conditioning balm, leaving it on for 10-15 min. Then I rinsed it out and applied a combination of gvp cd, trader joes tea tree conditioner, and grape seed oil as a leave in and about five days later the straw spot on the top of my head was gone!
    Me: 3c, very thick
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
    Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
    Styling: HETT and castor oil
    DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    pharaoh wrote: »
    asianrunner,

Sorry I missed this! I don't check in this board as often. Yes like Cuban said the Curl Rehab is protein free and a really good one. I only use the Daily Fix about once every three weeks. The GVP conditioning balm is also a good choice. I use the Rehab as a DT (when needed) and as a regular rinse out.

If you hair is really parched you could try the Marie Dean line. kathymack sells samples I find my hair gets almost overconditioned with them!

I just bought the Tresemme Naturals Moisture conditioner tonight and plan on trying it out tomorrow!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file