Help with clumpage

moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Registered Users Posts: 403
I recently had my hair straightened, but I decided to wash it out today. I was trying to use a denman to get thicker curls. Without using a brush my coils are a lot smaller, but brushing them usually groups more hair together (normally). The problem is that my ends will clump nicely, but the roots stay undefined an bushy. :angry3:Any tips?
Whoop whoop! :hello1:
imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick

Comments

• Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Registered Users Posts: 448
    You could try smoothing the roots more with your hands. Do you use any gel?
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Registered Users Posts: 403
    Yeah. I use DM miracurl gelly.
    Yeah, smoothing the roots might help them to define/clump a little better. My curls don't define very easily at the roots either. Finger curling might help too. Just throwing ideas out there :)
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah just twirl.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Oh yeah, have you tried the Teri's curly primer from TightlyCurly.com? She defines each section of curl.

Curly Primer
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Registered Users Posts: 403
    Oh yeah, have you tried the Teri's curly primer from TightlyCurly.com? She defines each section of curl.

Curly Primer

I've looked at it, but I haven't tried it. Maybe I'll try it my next wash day. Thanks
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    To each his or her own but I can't give any tips about the Denman..for my hair it's horrific. In the long run to me it's just rips out the hair and leaves you with thinner hair with regular and constant use over time..but that's just my opinion.

I personally feel (and yes I've tried it) that the Teri method is way to time consuming for people with a lot of hair, is not neccessary for people with hair that has an actual curl pattern, and uses way to much conditoner for no good reason. Furthermore, some people need more than just conditioner to control their hair.

To me, The Smoothing Method is a better method because it's faster, more economical, and you don't have to use a bunch of unneccessary loads of conditioner.

The shingling (or smoothing) method for defining curls root to tip is excellent. Basically you section off the hair and clip each section. Take your product (gel, cream, whatever) and smooth it into the hair (DO NOT RAKE) from roots to tips between your two palms or even one hand if you can grip all the hair in the section. Then gently shake the ends of the hair a bit. And your curls will clump up. If you make sure product is all the way up to the root the frizz should smooth out fine there.

For people prone to frizz and puffy roots a thick gel may work. Doesn't have to be ridiculously thick but sometimes those thinner gels just aren't enough for frizz prone people that need to smooth out their frizz with an actual product with a bit of weight to it. Some good ones are Ecostyler ( I personally only use the pink one), Fruit of the Earth, La Bella, Fantasic IC, even LA Looks depending on which one you get.

Here's a video of what I mean:

Natural Hair: New Technique for Defining Curls - YouTube

You don't have to do it exactly like this young lady but she basically shows you the smoothing and shake technique that I'm talking about.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • manemanmaneman Registered Users Posts: 136
    I have to say that the DM curling Gelly does not clump my hair like se others do. In my experience the difference can be either the product or the method you use to apply. For me it's been the product. Ecostyler and Miss Jessies curly pudding clump up my curls nicely.
    Check out my blog: http://manemanblog.com.
    If you're a curly guy and would like to be featured then check out the Contact page and hit me up!

Favorite products:
    Shampoo: KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling: Donna Marie Dream Curling Cream, EcoStyler Gel (pink)
  • LanishaLanisha Registered Users Posts: 467 Curl Neophyte
    For whatever reason it seems the Denman does the to many people's curls. Clumps at the ends, not at the roots. I use flaxseed gel in my hair. Instant clumpage. More than eco styler, curly pudding, and kinky curly curling custard. Try it.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Banned Users Posts: 1,114 Curl Neophyte
    I recently had my hair straightened, but I decided to wash it out today. I was trying to use a denman to get thicker curls. Without using a brush my coils are a lot smaller, but brushing them usually groups more hair together (normally). The problem is that my ends will clump nicely, but the roots stay undefined an bushy. :angry3:Any tips?
    Smooth on some flax seed gel or Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Moisturizing Jelly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file